Well good evening to all...

Started by Ozzy, May 12, 2016, 04:02:40 AM

Ozzy

Well well well, looks like I'm actually going to rejoin CAP at a cadet squadron near me. I have to wait until Tuesday before finishing the paperwork and sending it in along with the fingerprints but unless something happens, I'll be back after taking ~5 years off. It was actually kind of nice being back at a meeting watching the cadets do their thing while the commander and I talked a little bit. We didn't really talk much about what positions they need but, as with a lot of squadrons, they do need more seniors as everyone is taking multiple jobs.

Anyways, I'll probably be asking a bit of questions about the different paperwork I'll need to fill out to regain credit for previous accomplishments as well as getting back on track on current CAP events, although I can see ABUs seem to finally have caught up and CAP now has a NCO program for us prior-service sergeants.

Cheers!
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Toth

SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

vesryn

Welcome back! What group/squadron are you rejoining?
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Ozzy

I'll be rejoining LI group/Squadron 8 it looks like. It's only a few minutes from my house which is great.

A question for those in the know: What PD levels/achievements do I get to keep with proper paperwork? Do I have to start from the beginning again or with demonstrable performance get them back? I know I had a tech in CP and ESO when I left and level 2 completed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Toad1168

As long as it is in eServices, or have the documentation, you will keep the PD and specialty track accomplishments.  Same with decorations.  Reinstatement of grade is discretionary to the commander.  Just have to check the regs to see what you are eligible for under the new guidelines.
Toad

Ozzy

Okay great. I don't mind taking any refresher courses but I did do a lot over the years I was in. I know I'll have to start from the beginning for any ES qualifications but that's okay.

As for rank, I'm actually looking on going to go the NCO route this time.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Ozzy on May 12, 2016, 04:57:52 PM
Okay great. I don't mind taking any refresher courses but I did do a lot over the years I was in. I know I'll have to start from the beginning for any ES qualifications but that's okay.

As for rank, I'm actually looking on going to go the NCO route this time.

If you are going the NCO route, be aware of that the approval process for that is currently in "Beta" status, so don't be too surprised if it takes extra time/paperwork/armwaving for the approval process.

Storm Chaser

Welcome back!

You'll have to redo Level I, which includes the new Cadet Protection training. You'll be able to retain your Level 2, your specialty track ratings, SLS, and any other courses you took. If your training shows up in eServices, then there's nothing else you need to do. If not, then you'll need to provide documentation.

Ozzy

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 12, 2016, 11:07:36 PM
Welcome back!

You'll have to redo Level I, which includes the new Cadet Protection training. You'll be able to retain your Level 2, your specialty track ratings, SLS, and any other courses you took. If your training shows up in eServices, then there's nothing else you need to do. If not, then you'll need to provide documentation.

I figured I'd have to do most of the Level I classes anyways (They can be completed in an hour or two), but as long as the rest is good that will be awesome and will not put me back like a year or so.  Do you know if I get to keep my old CAP ID or do I get a new one?

As for the "Beta" status, I don't mind being a bit of a guinea pig for it.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

SarDragon

You will retain your olde CAPID.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ozzy

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2016, 01:26:53 AM
You will retain your olde CAPID.
Thanks. And one more question... once my application for rejoining is accepted and I finish level I, can I start the paperwork for the initial grade of SSgt?

The requirements are to be a current/former NCO in the armed services, complete level I, and have 6-months time in service. Since as a former member most achievements transfer over, I should be good to go with the blessings of my commander, correct?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Toad1168

I would say most likely.  When I rejoined after my hiatus, all of my stuff transferred back.  I had to redo Level 1 obviously but my reinstatement of grade was immediate.  I even got both ID cards, the one with SM and the one with Capt., the same day in the mail.  ;)
Toad

Ozzy

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Toad1168

Joined as a cadet in '87.  Spaatz in '93.  Transferred to the dark side in '94.  I stayed as active as I could after, until life got in the way.  A wife, young kids, and a full time job put a damper on it and I lapsed in '06.  Came back last year thanks to some prodding from a friend that had also came back.  So all in all, about 9 years.
Toad

Ozzy

Ok, I was talking with the commander this weekend about how things are going at the squadron and what I'll be staffing (CPO). When we brought up what I would get back, we weren't 100% sure since he thought there might be some 5-year rule or something.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Toad1168

The five year thing is the required time the squadron has to maintain your records.  My old unit destroyed mine.  But, the beauty of eServices is that most, including ops quals and my PD stuff was still there.  It was enough to easily rebuild my file.  Very little effort required to get back up and running.   :clap:
Toad

THRAWN

Quote from: Ozzy on May 16, 2016, 03:53:13 PM
Ok, I was talking with the commander this weekend about how things are going at the squadron and what I'll be staffing (CPO). When we brought up what I would get back, we weren't 100% sure since he thought there might be some 5-year rule or something.

We have Chief Petty Officers?!!? There is hope for this organization yet...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ozzy

Quote from: THRAWN on May 16, 2016, 04:54:43 PM

Trying to troll, really? Go bother someone else please.

And yes, CPO is the abbreviation for Cadet Programs Officer per CAPP 216 and by use of most CAPR members whereas Chief Pretty Officer is not.

Okay, Thanks Toad. I guess we'll see in a few weeks once they get and process the application.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Майор Хаткевич

While 216 does indeed call it CPO...I've personally never used that...Always CP or CP Officers...just never CPO, because of that other, better known CPO. Neither here nor there I suppose.

THRAWN

Quote from: Ozzy on May 16, 2016, 05:22:10 PM

Quote from: THRAWN on May 16, 2016, 04:54:43 PM

Trying to troll, really? Go bother someone else please.

And yes, CPO is the abbreviation for Cadet Programs Officer per CAPP 216 and by use of most CAPR members whereas Chief Pretty Officer is not.

Okay, Thanks Toad. I guess we'll see in a few weeks once they get and process the application.

Thanks for the uninvited lecture. In my 20 plus years of CAP membership, most of which was working in Cadet Programs, neither I nor my peers ever referred to ourselves as CPOs. But then, I guess we weren't the smartest guys in the room. Good luck with your humorless approach to CAP.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023