Main Menu

New 50-17 is out

Started by Alaric, June 08, 2015, 02:34:42 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: MacGruff on June 11, 2015, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: Tim Day on June 11, 2015, 01:42:58 PM

For example, to make level III you need to have attended 2 conferences, at least 1 of which your squadron commander needs to assert included your participation in a seminar relevant to squadron management.

Whoa! Where is THAT written?

I see the reference in CAPR 50-17 Section 5-1.d to attending two conferences, but not the part I highlighted in red.

??? ??? ???

That is what he is proposing NHQ should write.

Tim Day

Quote from: LSThiker on June 11, 2015, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: Tim Day on June 11, 2015, 01:42:58 PM
I guess I'm just not sure what the difference is between attending a conference as a cadet and attending the same conference as a senior.

Probably for the same reason why cadet time does not count towards CAP "retirement".  Cadet service is just that cadet service except when noted due to specific achievements and levels of knowledge.
I understand time in grade requirements, "in grade" implying senior grade for seniors as well as the difference in qualification of time served for retirement purposes.

I have assumed the conference attendance was a training requirement, however, CAPR 50-17 does list it under the heading of "leadership". Perhaps the rationale is that senior member attendance at conference serves a leadership function, which would explain why attendance as a cadet shouldn't count, since even a 20.9 year old Spaatz cadet needs a senior member sponsor.

While that would make sense to me, the CAPR 50-17 rationale for attending conference in para 5-1d is:

QuoteThese conferences afford CAP members a broad view of the CAP Corporation's organization and expose them to the issues confronting CAP.

If that paragraph is the rationale, I don't see how cadet or senior status makes a difference. If the rationale is Level III candidates should demonstrate leadership by attending conferences, I'd recommend so stating in para 5-1d.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

LSThiker

Quote from: Tim Day on June 11, 2015, 03:18:39 PM
I understand time in grade requirements, "in grade" implying senior grade for seniors as well as the difference in qualification of time served for retirement purposes.

I have assumed the conference attendance was a training requirement, however, CAPR 50-17 does list it under the heading of "leadership". Perhaps the rationale is that senior member attendance at conference serves a leadership function, which would explain why attendance as a cadet shouldn't count, since even a 20.9 year old Spaatz cadet needs a senior member sponsor.

While that would make sense to me, the CAPR 50-17 rationale for attending conference in para 5-1d is:

QuoteThese conferences afford CAP members a broad view of the CAP Corporation's organization and expose them to the issues confronting CAP.

If that paragraph is the rationale, I don't see how cadet or senior status makes a difference. If the rationale is Level III candidates should demonstrate leadership by attending conferences, I'd recommend so stating in para 5-1d.

I would say it is both.  Exposing leaders to a broad view of CAP Corporation's organization and exposing them to the issuing confronting CAP.

Either way, NHQ has spoken on the clarification.  The only people that can answer the why is NHQ.  Anything beyond that is just speculation and opinion.

Майор Хаткевич

Whatever the reason, at least now it's clarified.

Does it make sense? Doesn't have to.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 11, 2015, 05:32:49 PM
Does it make sense? Doesn't have to.

This is one of the true beauties of regulations. Things don't have to make sense. They just have to be done that way.