Main Menu

New 50-17 is out

Started by Alaric, June 08, 2015, 02:34:42 PM

Alaric

Looks mostly administrative, removes reference to promotion requirements, clarifies that only seniors get conference credit for PD

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf

lordmonar

Hey!   that's my suggestion!!!!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on June 08, 2015, 05:00:22 PM
Hey!   that's my suggestion!!!!

It's about time that they're listening to people that know what they're talking about!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

I had a long conversation with the national PDO about how the wording was confusing.  Now if we can just convince them to drop the requirement all together. 

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on June 08, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
I had a long conversation with the national PDO about how the wording was confusing.  Now if we can just convince them to drop the requirement all together.

Agreed, but it's a good start. Nice work, and keep it up. Your ability to get the wheels greased just makes for a better organization.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

DoubleSecret

So much for the rumor that it was being completely revamped.

Al Sayre

There's also a new Level 1 about to hit the streets in a week or so.  Stay tuned...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

LSThiker

Quote from: Alaric on June 08, 2015, 02:34:42 PM
clarifies that only seniors get conference credit for PD

Good they are listening to the field, but I never did understand why people thought that seniors going to a conference as a cadet would satisfy that requirement.  To each their own I guess.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: LSThiker on June 08, 2015, 09:33:01 PM

Good they are listening to the field, but I never did understand why people thought that seniors going to a conference as a cadet would satisfy that requirement.  To each their own I guess.
1) Because it didn't say you couldn't
2) Many older cadets actually go to the senior seminars because they are more interesting than having a recruiter come talk to you for the 271st time
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

lordmonar

Quote from: LSThiker on June 08, 2015, 09:33:01 PM

Why not?

18 year old senior member went to a conference as a 17 year old cadet....does not count.

60 year old senior member went to a conference as a 20 year old senior member counts.

If they changed it to "attended a conference in the last XX years" it would make a lot more sense.

But to each their own.

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on June 08, 2015, 10:08:07 PM
If they changed it to "attended a conference in the last XX years" it would make a lot more sense.

Yes, yes it would. 

18 year old senior member went to a conference as a 17 year old cadet....does not count.

60 year old senior member went to a conference as a 20 year old senior member counts.

But to each their own.

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 08, 2015, 10:05:06 PM
1) Because it didn't say you couldn't
2) Many older cadets actually go to the senior seminars because they are more interesting than having a recruiter come talk to you for the 271st time

I understand all of that.  As a cadet, I mostly attended the "senior member" activities.  Learned a great deal more than attending the "cadet" functions.  Although, if they are listening to a recruiter for the 271st time, I think it is time for better leadership in planning relevant and interesting activities for cadets at all age groups and ranks.  Nonetheless, I get what you are saying.  However, if I went to a wing conference and all I did was attend the activities specifically geared towards cadets, then that is not quite the spirit of the regulation.

As to why not?  Well as a cadet, if I were to attend an SLS or CLC, I would not get credit.  I would not get credit for teaching at one either, even though I did not numerous times.  I had the tendency to teach the cadet programs sections, uniforms, and some other items in the old days.  Even though I had a "tech" rating in communications and ES as a cadet, I was not given credit for it as a senior member.  There are quite a few more examples of things done as a cadet that won't get transferred to the senior member. 

Granted, there are a few items that do (i.e. particularly in the ES specialties). 

Either way, it has been clarified so moving forward will be better. 

Майор Хаткевич

SLS/CLC have always been geared towards SMs. TLC/UCC as well. Conferences are not, and some wings used the PD as a carrot for cadets...

EMT-83

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 10, 2015, 03:04:45 PM
SLS/CLC have always been geared towards SMs. TLC/UCC as well.

The Senior Member Professional Development Program. That's what's known as a clue.

Holding Pattern

I guess I'll have to update my universal reg PDF in short order...

LSThiker

SLS/CLC have always been geared towards SMs. TLC/UCC as well. Conferences are not, and some wings used the PD as a carrot for cadets...

Yes, SLS, CLC, UCC, and TLC are geared towards SMs.  Conferences themselves are not geared towards SMs.  However, the requirement to attend 2 conferences is a requirement for Senior Member Professional Development.  Therefore, allowing that credit to transfer made no sense to me.  In addition, the specialty tracks are also geared towards senior members, yet we allow cadets to "earn the badge" for ES, Comm, IT, and History.  Once they transfer to the SM, they still need to complete time in track for it.   

No longer allowed credit for cadet attendance does not prohibit cadets from attending the activity.  If they want to learn and attend the SM courses, then they are obviously free to do so.  Then again, like I said, if said cadet no longer wants to attend the cadet activities (simply because he/she is not interested or is sick of attending the same old activities), then perhaps a review by leadership is in order so that the activities are meaningful for cadets of all ranks and ages.

jeders

Quote from: LSThiker on June 11, 2015, 03:52:08 AM
Once they transfer to the SM, they still need to complete time in track for it.   

Not quite. They have to complete the time requirements before earning the badge. The only thing that they can't complete as cadets is Level 1 of the senior member PD program. If you have an 18+ Mitchell cadet turn senior, award of Level 1 and the ES, Comm, and whatever other badge they have earned as a cadet is essentially instantaneous. We also already recognize Cadet achievement as having weight in the Senior PD program by awarding CP tech and senior ratings as well as level 2, Yeager, and OBC credit to cadets based on earning the Earhart, Eaker, or Spaatz. So if we're already giving cadets PD credit for other things that they're doing, why not give them credit for attending conferences?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2015, 12:54:23 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on June 11, 2015, 03:52:08 AM
Once they transfer to the SM, they still need to complete time in track for it.   

Not quite. They have to complete the time requirements before earning the badge. The only thing that they can't complete as cadets is Level 1 of the senior member PD program. If you have an 18+ Mitchell cadet turn senior, award of Level 1 and the ES, Comm, and whatever other badge they have earned as a cadet is essentially instantaneous. We also already recognize Cadet achievement as having weight in the Senior PD program by awarding CP tech and senior ratings as well as level 2, Yeager, and OBC credit to cadets based on earning the Earhart, Eaker, or Spaatz. So if we're already giving cadets PD credit for other things that they're doing, why not give them credit for attending conferences?

Not quite.  They have to complete time in position for the history and IT.

QuoteCadets may serve as a Cadet Historian under a senior member Historical Officer. This does not fulfill a staff duty analysis requirement. Cadets can earn the Basic Historian Qualification Badge (Technician Rating Badge) if they can complete all of the requirements for the Technician Rating, but they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until they become a senior member and complete the required time as historian or assistant historian as reflected in eServices as well as any other task requiring it be completed by a member holding the duty position of historian or assistant historian.

Quote from: ITThe wear of the badge as a cadet does not translate to the earned technician rating once a cadet becomes a senior member. Cadets who become senior members will need to complete all of the requirements established at the time that they complete the training as a senior member.

Tim Day

...clarifies that only seniors get conference credit for PD

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf
I guess I'm just not sure what the difference is between attending a conference as a cadet and attending the same conference as a senior. If the rationale is that seniors attend seminars more relevant to PD, specialty track, grade, etc, make that the requirement.

For example, to make level III you need to have attended 2 conferences, at least 1 of which your squadron commander needs to assert included your participation in a seminar relevant to squadron management.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

MacGruff

Quote from: Tim Day on June 11, 2015, 01:42:58 PM

For example, to make level III you need to have attended 2 conferences, at least 1 of which your squadron commander needs to assert included your participation in a seminar relevant to squadron management.

Whoa! Where is THAT written?

I see the reference in CAPR 50-17 Section 5-1.d to attending two conferences, but not the part I highlighted in red.

??? ??? ???

LSThiker

Quote from: Tim Day on June 11, 2015, 01:42:58 PM
I guess I'm just not sure what the difference is between attending a conference as a cadet and attending the same conference as a senior.

Probably for the same reason why cadet time does not count towards CAP "retirement".  Cadet service is just that cadet service except when noted due to specific achievements and levels of knowledge.