NCO track or Officer Track?

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 08, 2015, 01:16:12 PM

USAFRiggerGuy

I have been in CAP for about a month and I am the new Deputy Commander for Cadets for my unit. I'm having trouble figuring out if I want to retain my military rank, SSgt, or go officer after my initial 6 months.  I believe with both tracks you have to wait 6 months to pin in grade anyway. Unless you qualify for an advanced promotion, which I dont. Any advice or pros and cons would be helpful. Thanks!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

vorteks

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: veritec on May 08, 2015, 01:38:11 PM
This has been discussed recently:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19795.0

Not sure if it is the same question. The individual in this thread is asking about promoting and the confusion with it.  I'm just wondering the pros and cons of each rank structure, if there is any.

Thanks for the reply
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

jeders

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 08, 2015, 02:57:07 PM
Quote from: veritec on May 08, 2015, 01:38:11 PM
This has been discussed recently:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19795.0

Not sure if it is the same question. The individual in this thread is asking about promoting and the confusion with it.  I'm just wondering the pros and cons of each rank structure, if there is any.

Thanks for the reply

I think he's replying to the question about 6 months, which I believe has been/is being removed as a requirement, as well as to the larger discussion of whether or not there's any point in being an NCO in an organization where everyone is equally responsible for menial jobs. Also, there is the fact that NCOs cannot serve as commanders and the question of whether that refers to just the unit commander or if it includes anyone with the word "commander" in the title, such as Deputy Commander for Cadets.

My personal opinion, I think that it presents a better image, since you are the DCC, for you to pursue the officer track rather than make yourself an anomaly. Some people tend to agree with this view while others don't. In the end, it's entirely up to you since it is purely image and personal preference and has no real effect on the job you are doing.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Holding Pattern

My personal opinion: Start with the officer track. The NCO track is still in "beta" from what I can see. As time goes on the program will likely become more fleshed out.

FW

The only advantage to the NCO track I can think of, is the ability to use your old uniform without removing your grade insignia. There are no disadvantages. Becoming a "commander" gives you a "direct commission".  :angel:

arajca

Quote from: FW on May 08, 2015, 05:56:49 PM
The only advantage to the NCO track I can think of, is the ability to use your old uniform without removing your grade insignia. There are no disadvantages. Becoming a "commander" gives you a "direct commission".  :angel:
Actually, he would need to remove his grade insignia and replace it with the new CAP NCO grade insignia.

RiverAux

I'm sorry that you are in a unit that is so undermanned that you're being asked to take on what is probably the most difficult job in CAP after only 1 month. 

As has been said, there are almost no real differences between the two "tracks" and since you can switch to the other at any time, there is no real risk to choosing either. 

kwe1009

Definitely go officer.  I personally don't see any advantages to going the NCO track and if you are already the DCC, it may be confusing to the cadets.  When I joined CAP 3 years ago I was also given the option to go NCO or Officer.  I asked the squadron commander if there was a difference and he said that NCOs can't hold certain positions.  I didn't see the need to limit my CAP career by being an NCO and I didn't see how being an NCO would help my squadron.

For me the deciding factors were first, what helps my squadron, and second, what helps me. 

THRAWN

Quote from: RiverAux on May 08, 2015, 08:51:50 PM
I'm sorry that you are in a unit that is so undermanned that you're being asked to take on what is probably the most difficult job in CAP after only 1 month. 

As has been said, there are almost no real differences between the two "tracks" and since you can switch to the other at any time, there is no real risk to choosing either.

Beat me to it. And shame on the commander for allowing to happen.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

Quote from: THRAWN on May 08, 2015, 11:28:22 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 08, 2015, 08:51:50 PM

Beat me to it. And shame on the commander for allowing to happen.

We can't blame the commander without knowing all the circumstances. I've seen units where the new guy becomes the commander, which is worst. Many times, units are so understaffed that commanders are just glad they have someone willing work with cadets. The commander in question most likely considered his military background before making the appointment. It's definitely not ideal, but it's a reflection of the state in which many CAP units are. That state is compounded by all the staff requirements that units must fulfill. I've said it before, we need to streamline unit operations so that a single member doesn't have to be appointed to 3-5 positions and new members don't have to assume leadership roles right from the start. We also need to recruit more people, but we shouldn't have to expect every new members to sign up for staff positions right after completing Level 1. That's something that should come up later, once the member has been in for a while, received additional training and had an opportunity to work on a variety of CAP missions, activities and operations.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 08, 2015, 01:16:12 PM
I have been in CAP for about a month and I am the new Deputy Commander for Cadets for my unit. I'm having trouble figuring out if I want to retain my military rank, SSgt, or go officer after my initial 6 months.  I believe with both tracks you have to wait 6 months to pin in grade anyway. Unless you qualify for an advanced promotion, which I dont. Any advice or pros and cons would be helpful. Thanks!

CAP is trying to revamp the NCO, so there might be good reasons to go the NCO route once this program is fully developed. As of know, however, all they've added is a way for NCOs to promote. From what I understand, at some point they'll have a separate Professional Development (PD) or PME program and will have some NCO-specific positions. We don't know how long it'll be before this happens.

The choice of whether go the officer or NCO track at the moment is really a matter of personal preference. Do you want to be a lieutenant and continue to promote as an officer? O do you want to continue being a SSgt and promote accordingly? As of right now, CAP NCOs can do pretty much everything that officers can do except become commanders. Personally, I wouldn't appoint a SSgt as Deputy Commander for Cadets either (or a new SM for that matter).

My recommendation to you is that if you wish to remain a deputy commander and maybe even pursue a command position in the future, that you become a CAP officer. If you prefer to remain an NCO, then by all means go that route. I can't think of any advantages right now, but that's not to say that once the NCO program takes shape there will be none. Fortunately, no matter which track you pick, you won't be stuck and can always change latter on.

USAFRiggerGuy

Thank you to everyone who has responded.  While some of you are questioning my commander for appointing me deputy with such little time in the program,  let me explain.  I have had vast experience delivering lesson plans, customs and cutousies and drill.  I contacted CAP to work with cadets and mentor them.  When the current deputy was leaving for OTS I was thrilled to be able to step in and make an immediate impact (hopefully).
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Flying Pig

Ehhhhhhhh.  I had been a cadet and went off to join the Marines. 5yrs later I came back and joined CAP. My assignment was as Deputy Commander for Cadets.  I was the DCC for 2 squadrons spanning about 5yrs. 

You'll be fine.  You just have a load of learning ahead of you.  Most of which you'll learn as you solve problems for cadets. 

kwe1009

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 11, 2015, 04:32:35 PM
Thank you to everyone who has responded.  While some of you are questioning my commander for appointing me deputy with such little time in the program,  let me explain.  I have had vast experience delivering lesson plans, customs and cutousies and drill.  I contacted CAP to work with cadets and mentor them.  When the current deputy was leaving for OTS I was thrilled to be able to step in and make an immediate impact (hopefully).

If you are joining CAP to mainly work with cadets then I would highly recommend going the officer route.  If you are going to be in a command position then you need to have command rank.  NCOs, as you know, are not commanders in CAP or in the military.  It will also be less confusing for the cadets.  When I first joined CAP I just wore my USAF uniform while my paperwork was making its way through the system for my advanced promotion to 1st Lt.  The cadets were constantly asking why I was wearing stripes and wasn't an officer.  They were also confused about saluting me or not as they are used to always saluting senior members.  I certainly felt strange being saluted and wearing SMSgt stripes.

Tim Day

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2015, 05:32:18 PM
Ehhhhhhhh.  I had been a cadet and went off to join the Marines. 5yrs later I came back and joined CAP. My assignment was as Deputy Commander for Cadets.  I was the DCC for 2 squadrons spanning about 5yrs. 

You'll be fine.  You just have a load of learning ahead of you.  Most of which you'll learn as you solve problems for cadets.
+1. I rejoined after 20+ years as a Naval Officer, was a CDC within 6 months and led a very successful Cadet Program. The team and my CC helped fill in where my CAP experience was lacking and I also pursued CAP professional development as aggressively as possible. 
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander