Main Menu

Changing Squadrons

Started by untiltheend2851, August 02, 2014, 03:20:10 PM

untiltheend2851

I've been looking to switch to a different squadron in my wing due to reasons I am not willing to disclose. Is there a way to formally change squadrons or do I just tell the commander that I'm switching?

Eclipse

You visit the new squadron and get accepted by their membership board.

After that occurs, common courtesy would have you informing your current commander as to "why", however that's
not required.  Don't be surprised when the new CC calls the current one.

The new squadron initiates the transfer, and it's automatic and immediate unless the current CC denies it,
at which point he has to justify the denial.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Do not burn your bridges behind you.  Try to leave on as good terms as possible.  You never know when you might be working with members of your former squadron at a Group/Wing, etc. activity, and bad blood can really poison the atmosphere.

This is not required, but out of courtesy I would suggest maybe typing up a short note to your current Commander formally requesting transfer (make it positive-sounding, or at least neutral if possible) and asking for it to go into your personnel file.  Of course, it is not required, but it may serve as a testament to your good character.

Even if your "old" squadron are the biggest bunch of jerks you have ever been around, do not bad-mouth them to your "new" squadron.  It serves no useful purpose.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

untiltheend2851

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll try to remember them when I make the final decision.

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on August 03, 2014, 12:54:59 AMEven if your "old" squadron are the biggest bunch of jerks you have ever been around, do not bad-mouth them to your "new" squadron.  It serves no useful purpose.

This is good advice for squadron and jobs.

Never air grievances in a resignation letter, two sentences about the when and where are all that are necessary.

Praise, of course, is generally OK.

Those "door slam manifestos" live on well beyond your current situation and state of mind, and >will< get read if you ever cross
paths with those involved, especially in CAP, but even in job situations.  Not only might yo want to work for a given
company again a decade later, but with the way companies are bought and sold these days, you never know where
an old Personnel file might land.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Telling your current Squadron Commander that you're transferring from their unit is not required and depending on the relationship between you and the commander, could make a messy situation even messier.

You're the only one who knows what the situation is between you and your Squadron Commander. So it's your call.

Eclipse

^ It's not like he won't know eventually, and if there's anything more then "stop touching my stuff" needs
to know in order to make a decision to block it if necessary.

Senior members are adults and should act that way.  Shrinking in the night should not be necessary.
Not to mention that if the potential new CC doesn't call the existing CC to discuss the transfer, then
no one is doing it right.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2014, 04:38:38 PM
^ It's not like he won't know eventually, and if there's anything more then "stop touching my stuff" needs
to know in order to make a decision to block it if necessary.

Senior members are adults and should act that way.  Shrinking in the night should not be necessary.
Not to mention that if the potential new CC doesn't call the existing CC to discuss the transfer, then
no one is doing it right.

Usually the phone call between commanders doesn't have all of the drama that may exist between a member and the commander of the unit they're leaving.
And you're right, seniors are adults. But they don't always act like it. But you know that.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

I quite legitimately transferred squadrons long ago simply because of a scheduling conflict. I was enrolled in a class that met on Wednesday evenings, same night as the squadron meeting. I was able to transfer to "Tuesday Squadron" with no complications.

(The unrelated issues that would probably have resulted in my leaving anyway never came up, as there was no need).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.