Main Menu

wearing my rank

Started by Pulsar, November 20, 2013, 05:25:36 PM

Pulsar

I recently achieved my Mitchell award a week ago. I was also just informed that the wing commander will only be able to promote me and another cadet on January 8 or after that.  :( Am I permitted to wear 2dLt insignias until my physical promotion where I will then change back to C/CMsgt insignias.  ???
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Storm Chaser

You could be promoted and/or allowed to wear your new grade insignia at the squadron. But the Billy Mitchell Award presentation has to follow a certain process as prescribed in CAPR 52-16. I believe that's what your wing commander is referring to.

a2capt

Yes, the rank/promotion and award are two separate things.

It's very common to be un-pinned, and the "slides" put on, and the award presented at a banquet, later event/time, etc.

Private Investigator

Congratulations on your promotion.   :clap:

RogueLeader

To be nit-picky, it is grade insignia, not rank insignia.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pulsar

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 20, 2013, 09:34:00 PM
To be nit-picky, it is grade insignia, not rank insignia.
oh right, thanks. I'll try to remember that. :-[
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star

MSG Mac

Your appointment to C/2LT was effective immediately when your Commander or Deputy input the results of the Mitchell test into the Cadet Promotions module in E-Services.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 21, 2013, 03:05:24 PM
Your appointment to C/2LT was effective immediately when your Commander or Deputy input the results of the Mitchell test into the Cadet Promotions module in E-Services.

Understanding that the Colonel comes from an Army background, the proper AF (and CAP) abbreviation is C/2d Lt.

Also +1 on everything he said. If they can swing the promotion the following week, keep wearing the "old" stuff. If it's gonna take some time, wear grade, get the cert when presented.

Panache

I would do whatever your Squadron CC wants you to do.  I really don't see any benefit to antagonizing him/her.

MSG Mac

I've seen many members accept their certificates in the new grade. Even seen SM's accept Cadet milestones in SM uniform up to the grade of Captain. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 21, 2013, 08:46:47 PM
I've seen many members accept their certificates in the new grade. Even seen SM's accept Cadet milestones in SM uniform up to the grade of Captain.

Sometimes I do wonder how many Spaatz cadets literally pass it on turning 21.

Garibaldi

First of all, congratulations on your Mitchell!

Second, like everyone else has said, you are officially a C/2nd Lt once it shows in e-services, so you are authorized to wear your new grade insignia.

You may or may not be "defrocked" the night of your official presentation. No big deal on that, it's a ceremony. A big, official ceremony where you will get your Mitchell certificate handed to you by a VIP. Pictures will be taken, and I've seen units that ask the parents to come up and put the insignia on you as part of the ceremony. You may have a smaller promotion ceremony by the unit CC where he announces your promotion and hands you your epaulets. But at any rate, no one is going to make you take them off and go back to your C/CMSGT stripes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things