Main Menu

Rejoining the CAP

Started by trinidadj75, November 02, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

trinidadj75

Hello Everyone;

I use to be a cadet in a CAP unit in Puerto Rico from 1992 - 1996 and became a senior member and left because got married. If i want to rejoin the CAP here in the states; what exactly I need to do? Do I have to do everything again as a senior member, paperwork and everything? Do I have to find a new unit before rejoining or can I call and pay since I was a member before? You can see it been a while with all my questions.
Jorge L, Trinidad, SM, CAP
Clearwater Composite Squadron
PD,  HS, SE, AE, SER-FL-447

Garibaldi

Quote from: trinidadj75 on November 02, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
Hello Everyone;

I use to be a cadet in a CAP unit in Puerto Rico from 1992 - 1996 and became a senior member and left because got married. If i want to rejoin the CAP here in the states; what exactly I need to do? Do I have to do everything again as a senior member, paperwork and everything? Do I have to find a new unit before rejoining or can I call and pay since I was a member before? You can see it been a while with all my questions.

First of all, you obviously need to find a unit close to you. You would definitely need to go through Level 1 again as many things have changed. You would have to go through CPPT and the FBI checks. If you left in 1996 as a SM, you'd have to start all over again. I encourage you to check out gocivilairpatrol.com and see what's changed in the intervening years.

Welcome back, and welcome to CAPTalk.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

rustyjeeper

The short answer is YES you likely will need to do it all again. Even with my own documentation,
Basically there is a 2 year "grace" period and the only records required to be kept are Milestone achievements
I had to redo basically everything and start from scratch.
Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to share some of my thoughts/ advice with you.

trinidadj75

Thanks for the comments of rejoining the CAP, any suggestions for me since my last time was in 1996? I have my Billy Mitchell Award re-send it to me from HQ last week because I lost everything once, I will be able to be a LT still with the Mitchell?   ???

VNY

You have to finish level 1 before you can have any rank and from that point to being a 2LT normally isn't all that much.  By the time the paperwork is processed you may well be one anyway.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: VNY on November 03, 2013, 01:34:14 AM
You have to finish level 1 before you can have any rank and from that point to being a 2LT normally isn't all that much.  By the time the paperwork is processed you may well be one anyway.

For a returning & former CAP member, Level 1 is not difficult at all. It took me under a week and it was the person to person Q&A session that made it take a week!

Panache

Quote from: rustyjeeper on November 03, 2013, 01:46:53 AM
Quote from: VNY on November 03, 2013, 01:34:14 AM

For a returning & former CAP member, Level 1 is not difficult at all. It took me under a week and it was the person to person Q&A session that made it take a week!

When did you do your Level 1?  The entire Level 1 program has been revised and expanded as of September 2013.  It's taking our new SM's about a month to complete, due in part to the large part of the in-person mentoring that has to take place.

Storm Chaser

I guess it depends on what you mean by "do everything again". As has been mentioned, you will have to do Level 1 again, which includes CPPT, Orientation, OPSEC, Intro to Safety, etc.). While your previous grade could be reinstated, it's not required nor automatic and it's at the discretion of the commander. Any other professional development courses you've taken (SLS, CLC, etc.) will still be good as long as they're recorded in eServices or you have supporting documentation (it's still a good idea to retake them because so much has changed since then). The same goes for specialty tracks. If you had any ES operations qualifications in Ops Quals, you may be able to re-quailify, however, because it's been so long and much of the task requirements have changed, you will most likely have to start these all over again. You can still wear any awards or badges you had before as long as they're either recorded in eServices or you have supporting documentation.

I recommend you find a squadron and talk to the commander for more information. Good luck and welcome back!

trinidadj75

I had been trying and call 2 of the Units closet to me, sent email as well and no one been answering back my messages........should I just show up on the meeting day? One of them I can't because is in a base and need authorization.......been like 2 weeks since I have been trying to contact this units and try to join them, any suggestions? I amd really looking foward to join the CAP again as I mentioned before in this chat  :o

Storm Chaser

If you're not getting responses back, you may need to visit the units. You can also contact the Group or Wing HQ as appropriate. Unfortunately, the information posted is not always correct and/or people may be on vacation. There are many reasons why one may not get a response back, so don't let that discourage you. If you really want to rejoin, just keep trying.