Main Menu

Thinking about joining CAP

Started by urserywr, August 17, 2013, 02:26:48 AM

urserywr

I am thinking about joining the CAP, I am a EMS helicopter pilot (civilian job) and a UH-60 Instructor Pilot in the Army National Guard. I know that the CAP doesn't have helicopters (they should..) however, I just earned my commercial (+instrument) fixed-wing add-on and am looking find a way to stay current and use my new skills to use. With getting an add-on I only have about 120 hours airplanes, 85 PIC.

Soooo.....what would be the process to become a CAP pilot? Does it cost anything to get qualified? How long does it take? Once I'm qualified, doesn't it cost to take the plane out? If so how much? Anyway, any info would be great, thanks!

Bayareaflyer 44

The first and most important step is to find a unit that suits you, and that you feel that you can contribute to.  Once you join, you will most likely be asked to perform a unit level position/specialty track, so be sure to reach out to their professional development officer to get the details of what is available.

Once you get established, and completed all your Level 1 requirements, then it would be OK to start working on your CAP pilot rating.

You will fly with a CAP examiner.  The aircraft you fly is dependent on where you are at, and in many cases all that is available could be a C182, so be sure to have your high performance endorsement.  If you have no G1000 experience, then your best bet is to get CAP pilot privileges in a round-dial, and get transition training.

For your "form 5" ride (the name of the CAP form that lists the required evaluation maneuvers) you will need to be able to demonstrate to the PTS standards of your highest rating.  In addition to all the normal knowledge required for a FAA checkride (FARs, AIM, weather, etc...) you are required to follow the below steps:

1.   Become familiar with CAP regulation 60-1, CAP Flight Management. You will be verbally quizzed on its contents
2.   Your Wing may have a supplement to the 60-1. Read and understand.
3.   Fill out the Airplane Questionnaire for each airframe you wish to be qualified in.
4.   When you become a member, you will need to electronically sign a Statement of Understanding
5.   Download and print out the actual CAP Form 5 itself.  What will be on your checkride will not be a surprise, it is all listed on that form.  You will need to bring this form with you to your checkride.
6.   All CAP aircraft have a binder of information associated with them.  There are aircraft specific details, as well as standard CAP information in them.  Go to the CAP Stand/Eval page and review.
7.   Aircraft Ground handling video: Watch it; understand it, take the short quiz. (eServices>CAP Multimedia>Video Courses>Aircraft Ground Handling)
8.   You will need to take at least one exam that tests your knowledge on the 60-1, and other aspects of CAP's regulations towards flying.  If you wish to become a Cadet Orientation Pilot for CAP cadets and/or AF(J)ROTC cadets, you will need to take the exams associated with that as well.  For CAP cadet orientation pilot privileges, you will need to know CAPP 52-7
9.   You will need to select a check pilot that will administer the form 5.  Talk to your unit commander, operations officer, or emergency services officer to find one.
10.   When you have things lined up for your check-ride, you will need to schedule an aircraft and obtain a flight release from the WMIRS.  Please see a Squadron pilot for individual training.
11.   Fly the form 5 evaluation.
12.   When complete, check in with your Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander for paperwork completion.

Once you become a CAP pilot, you can stay proficient in CAP aircraft on your dime.  A C172 goes for $38/hr dry, and a C182 is $45/hr dry.  You pay for gas.

Mission pilot is a whole other deal, but it looks like you have a ways to go PIC time-wise (requires 200hr PIC) before you get there.

And remember, please remove the towbar, and don't burn any flat spots on the mains!   ;)

Hope this helps!

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

SunDog

Good advice, though check a couple of things:

I believe you can take a Form 5 checkride as soon as CAP takes you on officially. You don't have to do any quals except those required for "CAP Pilot".  That was a common misperception in the past, and unless National has made a change lately, I think it may still hold true.

Also, you can start training for Mission Pilot at 175 hours PIC. Just Need the 200 for the Mission Pilot checkride (Form 91)

I don't know that the 200 hours has to be fixed wing, either. You may be able to make use of your rotary wing PIC hours to qualify. Definitely check on that.

The Form 5 checkride turns you loose to fly. Not many opportunities for funded flying. The Form 91 qualifies you as a Mission Pilot, and there are many more chances to fly funded missions once you have that.

Mission Pilot isn't a huge lift, either. Learn and demo some search patterns,  understand some concepts related to searches, incident command, some speciality avionics, and some procedure and policy. I think it's a lighter lift than the Commercial. Much easier than an Instrument.

Flying Pig

I fly both helicopters and airplanes for a living and spent several years as a Mission Pilot.  The advice you got above is good.  Youll just need to locate a unit that meets your needs. My disclaimer to people who join to fly is to make sure you are joining the CAP program as a whole, not just joining for access to stay current.   Dont get me wrong, I was in CAP because I enjoyed the flying just know that there are plenty of little behind the scenes jobs that make it possible for the unit to have that airplane.

Your experience, training and knowledge would be a great addition to any squadron.  Just be aware that you will be an instamt superhero to the cadets in your squadron and most of them will be way to nervous to actually walk up and ask you any questions.  I cant imagine why you wouldnt enjoy CAP.  Squadrons can be as different as night and day. So if you are unimpressed by one that you visit, look at a couple others. CAP really is about 80% of what YOU make it. There are individual squadrons, but you are joining the entire program. Just because your home unit is 4 old guys and a mom who drink coffee at an FBO table while 2 cadets march in the parking lot really has no bearing on where your CAP "career" can take you. You are free to participate in activities all over the place. Your squadron is just sort f your home base so to speak. Keep in mind that the unit you join does not have to have its own airplane. You are free to train in and fly any plane in your wing.   

I spent 20+ yrs in CAP.  As a cadet and after the military held just about every spot all the way up to squadron commander and Mission Pilot ad Counter Drug Pilot.  I fly for an LE agency in my day job.  Actually.... its more of a night job ;D

To answer your question about costs, a 182 is about $40ish per hour dry.  You pay for your gas. Funded missions are actual missions or training where the expenses are paid for by CAP.  Depending on what state (wing) you are those could be regular or very few.  With budgets, I would say everyone is a little slim on funded missions these days.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 18, 2013, 01:35:14 PM
To answer your question about costs, a 182 is about $40ish per hour dry.  You pay for your gas. Funded missions are actual missions or training where the expenses are paid for by CAP.  Depending on what state (wing) you are those could be regular or very few.  With budgets, I would say everyone is a little slim on funded missions these days.

Good answers and I was going to add to this. "You pay for your gas", when I was a Squadron Commander I had a helicopter pilot who wanted to get fixed wing hours in and he left after two years. You take the CAP plane to get yourself a cheeseburger, fries and a coke you pay for it. You want to fly up the coast at sunset, you pay for it.

Free flying only comes with missions, only one plane and we have ten pilots and everybody is available to fly on Saturdays and Sundays.

That is how it is. Check out the Squadrons that are close to you with planes. Not all Squadrons have a plane and good luck.

SunDog

Yeah, there does tend to be turnover in pilots, as the bureacracy can get thick, and the web-based systems you have to use for tracking quals and missions are kinda gacked.

But the aircraft are usually well maintained, better than most FBO rentals, and the avionics suites are decent, too. CAP  is a bit anal concering the glass 182's, requiring a fairly lame G1000 specific training class, and a unique check ride. But you only have to sit through the class once; then you can do worthwhile training on your own, via a sim or King CBT. If your sqdn doesn't have a glass, and one isn't nearby, then it's not a problem.

Funded missions do vary in availability across Wings; some units are short of mission pilots, and have missions to cover. Some places you can fly Cadet Orientation flights until you (or the Cadets) puke. Other Wings aren't so lucky. Airplanes are located for a lot of rational reasons, and a lot of political ones. You may get lucky in geography and find multiple CAP airplanes located near you, a mix of cheap to fly 172's and not so cheap 182's. You can expect musical chairs with aircraft this time of year, as they are relocated in an attempt to get enough hours on particular aircraft, in order for a Wing to hold onto thier fleet. So, be sure to have another option, like a nearby military or civilian flying club.

Good luck!