Building continuity binders

Started by UH60guy, July 03, 2013, 12:31:34 PM

UH60guy

I'm working on some continuity binders for my roles as an AEO and PD officer. I had a few thoughts on how to approach them, but wondered if anyone out there had some other tactics/techniques/procedures that they might want to contribute so I don't go too far down a direction that isn't really useful.

My thought for the continuity books are to treat them more like a timeline/checklist. I know I'm supposed to describe "responsibilities, procedures, and activities for use by present and future AEOs," but much of that can be completed by just putting the manuals, pams, etc. up front or in a library.

Here's my thinking for a loose layout of the AEO binder, and again, I would appreciate any feedback.

• Rules/responsibilities and links to regs and resources
  • Time based requirements (weekly, monthly, annual, etc) checklist, log, and sample schedule to ensure we're meeting AE training requirements with schedule, etc
  • Blank calendar/meeting template
  • Log of activities completed (for AEX tracking/reporting, plus to ensure rotation of topics and reduce repetitiveness)
  • Sample report formats
  • Sample Awards
Part 2 of the book would be to help develop AEOs:

• Their progress checklists from CAPP 215
  • Take things from here that are done regularly- like "Conduct an aerospace lesson or activity" and make sure that's also reflected in the earlier schedule/checklists so they can complete some things without even realizing it.
  • Other items such as the presentations to outside organizations and the like can be identified here to be added to the long range calendar as a mark on the wall.
  • A New AEO guide- I'd like to have this both as a tool to help existing members on their path to Senior (recruit and train reqt) and get a new guy up and running.
If it makes sense, my goal is to be able to open the binder, and have AEOs be able to see exactly what they need to do at each meeting, month, etc. to both meet the squardon's goals and make progress on their own ratings. Obviously some of the stuff should be on the squadron's training calendar, and I'm not trying to duplicate that here, but I'm thinking this would be the place to remind us to do the smaller intangible stuff (like informal current event discussions and aerospace displays) and make the planning process a lot easier.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

ol'fido

Putting together a continuity binder should be a process and not a destination. Put in what you think you need. After a year or so, go through and see what was important and what wasn't. Edit accordingly. Continue the process.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Walkman

For my ES binder, one extra thing I did was make PDFs of everything and mirror the binder organization on CD. A big chunk of my work is training, so all the regs, SQTRs, task guides, ref texts and PPT slides go on the CD so members can copy it to their computers and have a training library all set up for their own use.

FlyTiger77

I would probably also make a tab and use it as a repository for the substantiating documentation for the SUI. You will need it anyway so it makes sense to keep it all together.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

UH60guy

Good catch with the SUI documentation, I had forgotten about that. Definitely keeping this as digital as possible too, for easier search/find/replace work.

Good comments everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

FlyTiger77

Quote from: UH60guy on July 03, 2013, 03:45:00 PM
...I had forgotten about that...

And you thought they were kidding about the FGL (field-grade lobotomy)...
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Good catch with the SUI documentation, I had forgotten about that. Definitely keeping this as digital as possible too, for easier search/find/replace work.

Many wings are moving to remote / virtual SUIs and CI's, especially because of the cost of putting a team at remote units, etc.

The more you have digital on a rolling basis, the less you have to do when the time comes.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 03, 2013, 04:30:43 PM
...I had forgotten about that...

And you thought they were kidding about the FGL (field-grade lobotomy)...

I think forgetting the FGL exists might be a side effect too... The only thing I remember was getting issued the chip for my shoulder and the stick for my fourth point of contact.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 03, 2013, 03:09:48 PM
I would probably also make a tab and use it as a repository for the substantiating documentation for the SUI. You will need it anyway so it makes sense to keep it all together.
Actually, the SUI guide makes an excellent starting point for a continuity file.

In just a few pages, it summarizes the regulations related to a particular job area for quick reference.

Eclipse

Yep - that's the list.  If it ain't there, it's ain't supposed to be part of the inspection.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

I gave up the Continuity "binder" a few years ago.   Instead I give my successor a flash/thumb drive with everything needed organized in folders.   Files can be adapted/updated, etc.  Much easier and more effective than hard copy -- and less stuff to have to lug around.  Just a thought.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

NIN

Quote from: Chappie on August 20, 2013, 11:13:01 PM
I gave up the Continuity "binder" a few years ago.   Instead I give my successor a flash/thumb drive with everything needed organized in folders.   Files can be adapted/updated, etc.  Much easier and more effective than hard copy -- and less stuff to have to lug around.  Just a thought.

Apparently thats not considered enough for an SUI...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on August 20, 2013, 11:23:44 PM

Something no longer supported by the regs or even the SUI guide itself, which clearly states that all documents may now be electronic.
What gets units in trouble is that they declare they are electronic, then they really aren't.  For example, personnel records can be 100%
paperless now, but you still need a file plan and they have to be in order and easily inspectable.

Cloud services make that easy, but saying it and actually doing it aren't the same thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2013, 12:29:41 AM
Something no longer supported by the regs or even the SUI guide itself, which clearly states that all documents may now be electronic.
What gets units in trouble is that they declare they are electronic, then they really aren't.  For example, personnel records can be 100%
paperless now, but you still need a file plan and they have to be in order and easily inspectable.

Cloud services make that easy, but saying it and actually doing it aren't the same thing.

Well, and using a cloud based service where you have no access to the cloud is kind of tough, too.  Might as well put the file cabinets in the boss' basement for all the good it will do you at the meeting location.

My unit (while I was gone) did a thing with two thumb drives where every couple weeks (usually when there was a pubs update) they'd dump all the pubs and forms onto one thumb drive and keep it in the file cabinet and swap out the other. So at the most, your pubs were a week or two out of date, potentially.

The IG loved that.

But having a continuity book that is 100% electronic (ie. "here's my continuity book. Plug it into your laptop and look!") is considered a no-go for some reason.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Nothing wrong with multiple thumbs, or DVD's, or even just copes on multiple machines.

Most decent cloud services have a local sync utility, and considering this is continuity, not daily ops, odds are someone can get to it on their
phone, or from another state, or from the ISS, etc.

As to it not being accepted, if the wing has an SOP, or the Wing CC has decreed as such, well so be it, otherwise, not being accepted is
just the opinion of the inspector, which can be addressed later in the response.  Inspectors don't get to dictate process, only
record their findings for the review of a CC later.

Wave the reg, and they will have to waive the discrepancy. (How's that SAR?)

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Electronic records are the way to go, but there should be a copy kept off site. Two computers on adjacent desks aren't going to cut it, per 10-2.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 21, 2013, 01:50:45 AM
Electronic records are the way to go, but there should be a copy kept off site. Two computers on adjacent desks aren't going to cut it, per 10-2.

Absolutely - one at the unit, one at home, maybe one in Dropbox.

Dropbox is nice because the sync works seamlessly when you do updates, even if yo do them
offline, and backups are automatic.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Some folks conflate continuity guides with the CI/SUI documentation programs.  Most of my experience is with CIs and for that our wing has each staff officer look at each inspection item, make it a separate tab and put whatever is needed to address that item in that tab.  Works pretty well.

Now, at least for the programs I'm familiar with, that isn't really enough to be a real continuity guide, but comes relatively close. 

Lord of the North

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2013, 12:29:41 AM
Quote from: NIN on August 20, 2013, 11:23:44 PM

Personnel Files are NOT paperless in any way.  CAPR 39-2 para 1-7 states: "1-7. Active Records. Personnel records consist of training records (CAPF 66, Cadet Master Record, prescribed by CAPR 52-16, CAP Cadet Program Management, for cadets; CAPF 45, Senior Member Master Record,; a copy of the initial application form (CAPF 15, Application for Cadet Membership in the Civil Air Patrol, for cadets, CAPF 12, Application for Senior Membership in the Civil Air Patrol for senior members); and all personnel actions pertaining to the member in the form of published personnel actions, CAPF 2, Request for Promotion Action, CAPF 2A, Request for and Approval of Personnel Actions, and CAPF 120, Recommendation for Decoration. Any additional information pertaining to the member's service and performance should also be made a part of the personnel records. The member's unit of assignment will maintain these records. The unit personnel officer normally maintains personnel records. However, this duty may be delegated to the unit administrative officer, or in the case of senior member records, to the professional development officer, at the discretion of the unit commander. Regardless of who maintains the personnel file, the professional development officer remains responsible for recording professional development training as prescribed in CAPR 50-17. NOTE: CAPF 25, Personnel Data Card, which is now obsolete and no longer available may be filed with the CAPF 45 for senior members who were in the program prior to development of the Form 45. Previous editions of CAPF 45 may also continue to be used. Do not transcribe information from the older CAPFs 45/45a or just for the sake of updating the newer CAPF 45. Many achievements/training are recorded in the member's online membership record available for review through the eServices section of the CAP website. Units may use this information to supplement the information maintained in the physical file at the unit level. The online record cannot be used as the only personnel file since all information concerning the member is not currently tracked online. Personnel files should be protected and remain in the custody of CAP at all times. Members should be granted regular access to their records at reasonable times during normal unit meetings, in addition to such other times as may be agreed to between the member and the record's custodian." (bold and size my emphasis)

With respect to files plans, CAPR 10-2 does not require a hard copy file plan.  I have done wing CIs where these were electronic and were acceptable.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on August 21, 2013, 04:59:21 AM
Personnel Files are NOT paperless in any way. 

Large bold font not withstanding, Personnel files can absolutely be 100% paperless at any time and any echelon
if so deemed by the respective commander.

"Paperless" does not mean "documentless".  All units have at least one scanner.  If a commander
is so inclined, and has a proper plan, he can scan the members' personnel file(s) into a paperless system,
shred the paper, and move on.  From there, the system is maintained in that fashion.

That system need not be any more complicated than a standardized file name convention and directory structure.
There is no requirement that physical paper be maintained.

39-2 defines what's >in< the personnel file, however 10-2 owns records maintenance.

CAPR 10-2 15 MARCH 2012, Page 3
"c. When electronic processes (i.e., eServices, WMIRS or other databases) are developed
that meet the documentation requirements of CAP directives, CAP units are authorized to use the
electronic process as an alternative to the hard copy files. That information does not then need to
be entered on other CAP hard copy formats. CAP units must be sure that the electronic process
used meets all documentation requirements of the respective CAP directive before eliminating
the use of hard copy records."

CAPR 10-2 15 MARCH 2012, Page 5
"Note 1: Any combination of file cabinet and computer files may be used. Annotations must be
made on the file plan accordingly"

"That Others May Zoom"