Main Menu

PCS to Moody

Started by unmlobo, April 19, 2013, 05:31:32 PM

unmlobo

So I just got my orders and my family will be moving to Moody AFB in October.  There is no website I can find for the unit, but I would love to know a little about it.  My wife and I are big in GT work, so if this unit does some that would awesome!  Really any info about the unit would be much appreciated.  Look forward to a new experience and new wing.  Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Major, CAP
HI WG

Stonewall

Well, you'll be 2 hours from me. 

Don't know anything about the CAP unit there, though.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Well, if there's no unit at the base then I guess you have the oppertunity to start one!
And you can make sure it does ES too!

Woodsy

Not much in the way of a CAP presence in that area of the state.  GAWG as a whole is pretty weak on the ground team and ES stuff in general.  There was a downed aircraft mission about 20 miles from Moody in December.  Florida Wing got the call and sent a ground team and IC/Mission Base team up there at 0200 to handle it because GAWG wasn't able to manage a response. 

BillB

According to the Georgia Wing web site, there is a Squadron at Moody AFB. It's SER-GA-082. The Squadron does not have a web site. I don't see a Squadron located at the neares city, Macon, GA.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

starshippe

unmlobo,
   let me offer a preliminary welcome to south georgia. i hope u can find or create the activity that u r looking for. there is a squadron at moody, as well as squadrons at albany and warner robins (macon) but i dont know how active they are. there was also a squadron at douglas. i'm in brunswick, on the coast. feel free to email if i can help.

woodsy,
   as ic for mission 12m0730a, i appreciated the 115 mile drive that u and the two other gt members made from jacksonville to assist us, and ur acceptance of the gbd/gsc position, and i told u so.
   u did not get the call because gawg could not manage a response. u got the call because i asked afrcc for assistance from florida, as the crash site was 6.5 miles from the florida line. the response that the georgia wing could not manage included three aircraft, including eight aircrew members, 13.4 hours of flight time, and three ground teams, including 13 members, many of them making a 220 mile trip from the atlanta area in order to assist. the aircrew from savannah spent the night in a valdosta fire station.
   in any event thanks again for accepting the position, as no one else had stepped up to that plate.
   we all went home without so much as a find ribbon, as the state patrol helo spotted the wreckage, using cell phone forensic data provided by cap, which was right on.
   if florida did in fact have an ic on scene, i would have appreciated hearing from him, in order to coordinate flying and ground activities.

the red x in the lower center of the map indicates the crash site.

bill

Woodsy

Quote from: starshippe on April 20, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
unmlobo,
   let me offer a preliminary welcome to south georgia. i hope u can find or create the activity that u r looking for. there is a squadron at moody, as well as squadrons at albany and warner robins (macon) but i dont know how active they are. there was also a squadron at douglas. i'm in brunswick, on the coast. feel free to email if i can help.

woodsy,
   as ic for mission 12m0730a, i appreciated the 115 mile drive that u and the two other gt members made from jacksonville to assist us, and ur acceptance of the gbd/gsc position, and i told u so.
   u did not get the call because gawg could not manage a response. u got the call because i asked afrcc for assistance from florida, as the crash site was 6.5 miles from the florida line. the response that the georgia wing could not manage included three aircraft, including eight aircrew members, 13.4 hours of flight time, and three ground teams, including 13 members, many of them making a 220 mile trip from the atlanta area in order to assist. the aircrew from savannah spent the night in a valdosta fire station.
   in any event thanks again for accepting the position, as no one else had stepped up to that plate.
   we all went home without so much as a find ribbon, as the state patrol helo spotted the wreckage, using cell phone forensic data provided by cap, which was right on.
   if florida did in fact have an ic on scene, i would have appreciated hearing from him, in order to coordinate flying and ground activities.

the red x in the lower center of the map indicates the crash site.

bill

I was under the impression that GAWG couldn't find enough resources.  I guess I was misinformed/misunderstood.  My apologies!  I did see a few GAWG ground team members at the initial briefing, and we did have an aircraft overhead.  I was acting as LO and was attached to the GSP commander riding along with him.  The helo actually wasn't GSP, it was labeled Georgia Forestry. The crew were LEO's (at least I assume so as they were armed) so I don't know if maybe it was a GSP crew flying a forestry helo or if GA forestry has armed officers?  They were not DNR game wardens...   They found it within 15 minutes of arriving.  Getting to it was another story!  The helo guided the GSP commander and I in as close as they could by vehicle, then we had to go through a few fields (I learned a valuable lesson about hopping electric fences) and some woods to get on scene.  After verifying the pilot did not require medical assistance, it seemed 100 people swarmed on the scene within minutes, so there may have been other GAWG ground team members there but I didn't see them. 

After getting to the crash scene it was pretty obvious why the CAP plane hadn't spotted it.  I grew up hunting the woods of north florida and south georgia and that was some of the thickest stuff I've ever been in.  Only a low and slow helo would have had a chance.  The plane was also pretty broken up and spread out in a debris field.  I don't know if the picture I took when we arrived on scene ever made its way to you?   Lesson learned:  Snake chaps in my go kit! 

I'm surprised to hear ya'll didn't get a find ribbon... 

starshippe

yes, i got the picture, thanks again. the savannah aircrew and i were on scene later, but were asked not to take any pics, so we didn't.
   the pilot did not survive the initial impact.
   as ic, i did not auhorize any find ribbons because the criteria for the ribbon was/were not met.

bill

Woodsy

Quote from: starshippe on April 21, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

yes, i got the picture, thanks again. the savannah aircrew and i were on scene later, but were asked not to take any pics, so we didn't.
   the pilot did not survive the initial impact.
   as ic, i did not auhorize any find ribbons because the criteria for the ribbon was/were not met.

bill

Yeah I was very careful not to make sure the pilot was not in the picture.

After we found it and checked the pilot, the GSP commander and I backed off a ways.  The plane had not exploded or burned at all, and having crashed shortly after take off, we were concerned about the stability of the scene. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: starshippe on April 20, 2013, 03:17:39 PMas ic for mission 12m0730a, i appreciated the 115 mile drive that u and the two other gt members made from jacksonville to assist us,

On a sidenote, my brother and his GT made the longest one way drive in CAP GT history, 303 miles one way   :clap:

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 22, 2013, 01:57:34 AM
Quote from: starshippe on April 20, 2013, 03:17:39 PMas ic for mission 12m0730a, i appreciated the 115 mile drive that u and the two other gt members made from jacksonville to assist us,

On a sidenote, my brother and his GT made the longest one way drive in CAP GT history, 303 miles one way   :clap:

I'm pretty sure those GTs/resources that responded by ground to Sandy and Katrina from all over the country hold that record.

Woodsy

N/A and no comment on this mission. What really happened would only hurt GAWG and CAP in general so I'm standing down. 

Hope they can get it together...

Woodsy

Again, no comment....