Main Menu

Promotion Board

Started by Turtle1, September 20, 2012, 10:45:22 PM

Turtle1

Good Evening,
I have completed Level Three and will be reporting to Wing for a promotion board to approve/disapprove my moving up to Major.  I was wondering if anyone knew what types of questions would be asked of a Senior Member?

Thank you.
Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

Eclipse

The Wing has actually told you that you will have to report to an actual board? 

That's fairly unusual for seniors.

IN most cases the promotion board will review a narrative on the promotion that should have accompanied the
promotion request, make a recommendation to the Wing CC and move on.  In some cases there might be a phone
interview.

If you do get interviewed, you should be prepared to discuss what you intend to do going forward that
has a group or wing(+) scope.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

What narrative? Squadron commander clicks submit, Group CC(if you have them) clicks submit...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 20, 2012, 11:23:38 PM
What narrative? Squadron commander clicks submit, Group CC(if you have them) clicks submit...

Maybe in your wing / region.

Both of mine require a full narrative.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2012, 11:04:27 PM
The Wing has actually told you that you will have to report to an actual board? 

That's fairly unusual for seniors.

IN most cases the promotion board will review a narrative on the promotion that should have accompanied the
promotion request, make a recommendation to the Wing CC and move on.  In some cases there might be a phone
interview.

If you do get interviewed, you should be prepared to discuss what you intend to do going forward that
has a group or wing(+) scope.
In my wing I was interviewed by telephone.  I don't recall mention of any sort of narrative but maybe there was one submitted. It was a very cordial interview.
RM

Turtle1

Thank you all for responding.  Our wing has all SM who are going for field grades report for a promotion/review board.  I report Tuesday evening.  The time I am given is only fifteen minutes so imagine it can't be much.  I was thinking it would be along the lines of my current performance now and possible goals.  I did not know if anyone else had been through this in their wings.  I'll let everyone know how it went on Wednesday.
Thanks again
Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

PHall

Checking your profile, I see that you live in a small state.
Because a requirement like that in a big state, say California, Texas or Alaska, is not practical.

Private Investigator

I had to see what state you was in too. I would think if you passed the Squadron Promotion Board the Wing would approve it too.

But then something may have happen in the past and the Wing wants to play hardball    >:D

MSG Mac

It's amazing to me that CAP has an electronic means of promoting people and Wings still require CAPF  2s and formal promotion boards
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

EMT-83

What does one have to do with the other?

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 25, 2012, 06:51:48 PM
It's amazing to me that CAP has an electronic means of promoting people and Wings still require CAPF  2s and formal promotion boards

So promotions should be solely based on checking the boxes?

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

No problem with a Promotion Board by the approving authority. But if you're in El Paso, should you have to drive or fly to Dallas for a 15-30 minute board? My main question is the use of F2's for Duty Performance Promotions. We've already reinvented that wheel. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

I agree on the F2, and there's no reason then board can't be done on the phone or teleconference, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

When I was Personnel Officer for my unit, every promotion had a Form 2. The comment section detailed exactly under what circumstances the promotion was granted. Any supporting documentation was attached, and the whole thing scanned into the member's file.

The same procedure was followed whether the squadron CC pressed the button to make the promotion happen, or if it was done at a higher level. In any event there was a clear record of when and why the member was promoted. Exactly why is that a bad thing?

Eclipse

Because that ability exists wholly in services with no need for paper, certainly for regular duty promotions.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

You're saying we should blindly trust our personnel records to eServices?

I don't buy it; and seriously doubt that you do either.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 25, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
You're saying we should blindly trust our personnel records to eServices?

I don't buy it; and seriously doubt that you do either.

Blindly? No. It's each member's personal responsibility to make sure they are correct.

When you get to the point that a promotion is due, all level information has already been validated, approved, and
entered. That's all objective criteria.  If all three flags are green, there's nothing to discuss about that part.

For the subjective, simply enter the text in the space provided in the promotions module, or send a narrative under seperate cover, but the F2 is no longer necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 25, 2012, 08:21:33 PM
When I was Personnel Officer for my unit, every promotion had a Form 2. The comment section detailed exactly under what circumstances the promotion was granted. Any supporting documentation was attached, and the whole thing scanned into the member's file.

The same procedure was followed whether the squadron CC pressed the button to make the promotion happen, or if it was done at a higher level. In any event there was a clear record of when and why the member was promoted. Exactly why is that a bad thing?

And there is a comments section on the electronic promotion page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

The reason I could see a Promotion Board at Wing is I have met some really incompetent Majors and Lt Cols in CAP. Not their fault but the Squadrons they belong to have no type of professional devealopment plan. Just a GOB flying club, JMHO ...

EMT-83

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 26, 2012, 03:51:53 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on September 25, 2012, 08:21:33 PM

And there is a comments section on the electronic promotion page.

We had a member's promotion information completely disappear from eServices, like it never existed. We needed to send a copy of the Form 2 to NHQ to resolve the issue, and reinstate the promotion from the original date. Maybe you trust eServices. I don't.

Also, there is no way to upload a DD-214 or a CFI certificate, for those promotions. They should be retained and attached to the Form 2. For all the harping about lack of documentation for these things, I find it troubling that anyone would advocate not keeping records.

Eclipse

We're talking about duty promotions, not special appointments, mission skills, etc.

You don't scale operations with the assumption that the system will break. Systems always break, but those are exceptions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

When I was a SQ/CC, the personnel officer would just print out a new member search report after a known change occurred (promotion, award, qualification, etc), place it in the members file, and then shred the old one.  That way if the system has a data dump you still have a recent hard copy.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787