Vital Regulations for new Senior Members.

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, September 07, 2012, 12:22:57 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Here is a small list of regulations all Senior members should read a couple of times when they first join CAP.

R1-1: CAP Ethics Policy
R35-5: Officer and MCI Appointments and Promotions
R36-1: Nondiscrimintation
M39-1: Uniforms
R57-17: Senior Member Of Program
R52-10: Cadets Protection (whether you are in a Senior Squadron Cadet Squadron or Composite, you should know this Reg well)

Anything I'm missing?
I'm talking Regs that should be read in the first two weeks. Before any Specialty auals or any thing like Es operations.

EMT-83

Most of that material is covered in Level 1. No need to invent a new program, just properly follow the existing one.

jeders

I doubt he's trying to invent a new program, just get the new senior members who come here FIRST to go back and read the regs. If everyone would look things up in the regs/pamphlets/manuals first, then we wouldn't have two-thirds of the problems we do.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 07, 2012, 01:08:13 PM
Most of that material is covered in Level 1. No need to invent a new program, just properly follow the existing one.
the wheel already works... For the most part. I'm just throwing it out there because so many come looking for answers. Nothing wrong with that, it would just help them out more if they red the regs and manuals themselves. Getting handed an answer may work a couple of times, but figuring out the regs for yourself helps you so much more.

I know these are gone over in level one, just a friendly reminder.

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on September 07, 2012, 01:12:13 PM
I doubt he's trying to invent a new program, just get the new senior members who come here FIRST to go back and read the regs. If everyone would look things up in the regs/pamphlets/manuals first, then we wouldn't have two-thirds of the problems we do.

+1 (or 4)

Assuming they are mentioned and discussed properly, it's done at a gloss-level at best. 

I'd say that Level 1 should be at least a full day of class, if not a weekend like SLS/CLC - it's supposed to be the literal foundation of
a new member's understanding, yet a lot of CC's barely bother.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2012, 02:30:57 PM
Quote from: jeders on September 07, 2012, 01:12:13 PM

+1 (or 4)

Assuming they are mentioned and discussed properly, it's done at a gloss-level at best. 

I'd say that Level 1 should be at least a full day of class, if not a weekend like SLS/CLC - it's supposed to be the literal foundation of
a new member's understanding, yet a lot of CC's barely bother.

Didn't CAP change this to a self paced orientation over 6 years ago, because it was taking too long for members to complete level I, by requiring them to spend their valuable weekends to "death by power point" presentations ???

I think if we recruit "the right" adult personnel, this self paced learning works just fine.   I know when I talk with new senior members I emphasize to them that they need to complete level one first before they can do anything else anyways, and the goal should be to complete this within two to three weeks of joining CAP.  Anything over a month should raise some red flags and the unit's professional development officer, deputy commander for seniors, or even the commander needs to be talking with the adult member at that point to find out the reason why level 1 hasn't been completed.

Adults don't join CAP to be endless tortured with required classroom training that can also be effectively completed via an on line training method.  IF they don't have the motivation to do this than perhaps CAP isn't the organization for them. :-\
RM         

Devil Doc

It took me 1 day to do Lvl 1 :), the only thing i had to wait for was CPPT, and for my SC to sign off on my training. Lvl 1 should take you 1 weeks max, most of it is basic stuff, level 2 should take you maybe 3-6 months, I have everything in lvl 2 done exept, SLS, which is being held in October. I love how they made everything online.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

EMT-83

^ And there's the problem. Units paying lip service to Level 1 instead of conducting a proper new-member orientation.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Done correctly, I think the Foundations Course (did they change the name this week yet?) is a good combination.

The new member has to take some initiative (a good trait for CAP members) and do the reading and quizzes. The person doing the summary conversation should be reviewing the tests and using them as to start the discussion.

Others have suggested this is how SLS could be a 1 day class. Required preparation by the students to lessen the mind numbing Power Points required.   

Camas

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 07, 2012, 12:22:57 PM
Anything I'm missing? I'm talking Regs that should be read in the first two weeks. Before any Specialty auals or any thing like Es operations.

Very good listing!. I'd add "Great Start", CAPP 50-5 "Introduction to CAP", CAPP 151 "Respect on Display" and CAPP 7 Fast Start Handbook though that's a bit dated.

manfredvonrichthofen

Level one is really just glossed over for the most part. I had a good CC, but those that really go over it in depth are few.
I am done with level two except Also, I have been waiting to get to it for over a year, none are convenient at all so far. But hopefully I'll be able to get one in the next few months. Mostly online SLS would be nice. But there is a lot in it that I think does need done in person.

Critical AOA

I think the reason Level 1 is self-paced and can be completed rather quickly is that it is pretty simple material and not difficult to master.  It is not intended to be an in-depth course on all things CAP.  Rather it is meant as broad brush strokes to get a new member going. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

BigShu

I think having the level 1 material online is a great idea. I think those readings and quizzes do a pretty good job of opening the eyes of new members to how much there is to master in the organization.
I also think the commander's conference is wasted time. I think ongoing discussion with new members to make sure they have a good plan for how to fit in and be useful, coupled with a quick check of an online quiz score, would be a much better way to go. Confirm that they took the quizzes, the scores tell you if they grasp the material, move on.
As far as diving into regs goes, I'd like to meet the member that joined to start off their CAP membership by digging into regs. I need to learn a lot of material, and I need to learn some of it right away, so I can get qualified to actually help the squadron perform missions. Beyond that, I've got years to become expert at regs. Especially since my specialty track(s) will expect me to become expert in material (regs) pertinent to the job(s).
I've asked questions about things, and learned from the responses. I read the new member material, but let's be fair, there are unclear and contradictory things in the publications that are out there. It seems to me, the best way to keep new members in the fold is to encourage them to ask questions, give them a little room to see if they can blend in on their own, and then correct errant steps as needed. I can't think of anything that will turn me off to CAP more quickly than getting my chops busted for not following regs exactly, when you guys can't agree on what the regs say/mean after decades of experience.

SarDragon

I used to teach the formal Level I classes. It was never "death by Powerpoint" in my class.

The new "course", IMHO, doesn't properly present some of the material that a new member really needs to know. One of the things I stressed was proper uniform wear, with examples provided by the different instructors, and occasionally a senior cadet who was there for CPPT.

I made sure that there was interaction among the class members, and that no one had any big questions left unanswered when they left.

Leaving this training to commanders who might be just GOBFC members is an injustice to the new members and the organization.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

umpirecali

I was very happy that lvl 1 was online.  the more the better.  I have a busy family life and so my time with them is a premium.  If I am going to give up a Saturday, it better be for something good like flying  :clap:

I did my lvl 1 during my lunch breaks over the course of about 3 or 4 days.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Devil Doc

The main reason I did the LVL 1 in 1 day is simple. I am ex military, and really good at history, most of the stuff the stuff they cover is simple, Uniform wear is always questionable even when you been wearing one for years. Alot of us create Habits, or get the wrong information.  I learn from cadets and Seniors everyday, so yes LVL 1 is possible to do quickly
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.