Main Menu

What am I doing wrong?

Started by BigShu, May 09, 2012, 02:51:06 AM

BigShu

Hello to the group,
I'm interested in joining CAP. I looked up the nearest squadrons, looked at their websites, visited the national website, emailed the local squadron commanders, and visited two different squadron's meetings.
So far, I've had zero interest in me as a member. The second squadron visit, I showed up, looked around for someone to introduce myself to, but finding no one who would stop what they were doing to ask the stranger in their midst what he wanted, I left.
The first meeting was a senior squadron, and, much as I expected after spending some time here on CAP talk, I found a group of pilots who had no interest in someone who wasn't a pilot. I won't call them a flying club based on one visit, but...The Squadron CC welcomed me to the meeting, spoke to me briefly after the meeting, but didn't seem to have a burning desire for me to help in his sqaudron.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I just can't believe there isn't a squadron that needs senior members. The only interest I've had was from a squadron pretty far away, but that was through email contact. They're my next group to visit. Probably my last one to visit, as the only other squadrons in my area are too far for me to be an effective member.

Pat Shuman

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BigShu

I'm in the Kansas City metro area. There are 10 units within a 50 mile radius, so I shouldn't get discouraged so easily, but I thought it would be easier to find takers for a volunteer.
I was an adult leader in BSA for years, so youth protection and coaching motived teenagers is old hat to me. I'm trained in how to function in various roles in ICS, we get an 8 hour refresher in it every year. I'm a regional safety committee member for my company, a college grad, and I'm going to finish getting my private pilot certificate this year, after a couple of decades away from light aircraft. It seems like I'm a natural fit for lots  of jobs, but so far, I'm seeing less than luke warm response.
When I spoke to the senior squadron CC, my specific approach was "where do you need me to help?" His response was....noncommital, even though the squadron PD officer had mentioned several organizational holes he was looking for volunteers for among the pilots at the meeting.  I'm not really keen on a cadet squadron, but I was hoping one of the consolidated squadrons would be a good fit.

SARDOC

Also please keep in mind that on meeting nights they can sometimes be really busy trying to meet their meeting agenda or training objectives.  Don't get me wrong they should totally have someone greet you and show you around, but maybe get someones contact information and call them on a non meeting night.

BigShu

That's a great point. I was thinking about the way I felt about BSA toward the end. I much preferred to be approached about things while already in scout mode, than to get scout related calls at home. I don't want to be the guy bugging someone on his time away from his volunteer career.

Private Investigator

You really have to see three Squadrons.

Of course your second visit to the Senior Squadron hopefully will be better and more professional.

manfredvonrichthofen

I doubt it's you at all. I would bet if you give it another go and walk up to the Commander and tell him who you are and what experience you have he will be more attentive. It just may be that they are really busy, but they should still figure out a way to give you a senior member for the night. It pains me to hear about someone being available and desiring to volunteer and being brushed aside.

Don't disregard cadet squadrons either. I have seen a couple operate and they can be really great groups.

MajorM

Like every family or every company, every squadron has its own vibe.  While visiting a meeting is good, it also might be worth just calling or meeting with the commander or a deputy commander away from the meeting.  I know that, while I love new members and want to welcome them, creating space to do that during a meeting is tough.  Commanders/Deputies are pulled a hundred different ways most meetings.

If you're not all about the flying then give a composite or cadet unit a chance.  And here's a little secret about CAP... walk in and say "I'm interested in helping out with Cadet Programs" and usually people a) faint, b) hug you, and then c) faint again :)  or at least their Deputy Commander for Cadets will.

Though... I wouldn't walk in and say "I want to work with the cadets"... there are big differences between the two.  Not that you can't, but when people walk in the door demanding to work with the cadets my radar goes on overdrive.  People who know about working with youth usually realize you can't walk in the door and dive right in.  Not until you're vetted and trusted.  After all, if you screw up a plane we can always fix it or get another one.  If someone screws up a cadet... well, the fixing is a lot harder and messier.

Nathan

Pat, I'm in the same area. Check your PM's in a few minutes.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

spacecommand

At your second squadron meeting, I would quickly stop a member, any member, cadet/senior and said "excuse me, I'm thinking about joining CAP, can you point me to who I should speak to" should work in many cases. 

Sometimes, meeting nights can just be crazy busy.  The other night for example at our meeting (not in your location) we were spinning our heads on things. 

When I joined CAP, I spoke with a recruiting officer via email before I showed up, when I arrived at the meeting, the first person I saw in uniform, I specifically asked them to direct me to to Major John Smith, the recruiting officer and I was directed to them.

Every squadron is different and I wouldn't stay away from cadet only squadron's either.  Just depends on what you want to do.  At my unit for example, we don't have a shortage of Senior Members, but we do have a shortage on Senior Members who do / want to do Cadet Programs. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: BigShu on May 09, 2012, 02:51:06 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I just can't believe there isn't a squadron that needs senior members.

Pat,

Your second visit will be better. The tough thing about being a Squadron Commander you have other things to look into. Some meetings I would have 4 to 6 potential members, others none or one. Some potential members think CAP will supply everything and when you let them know, 1) annual membership 2) everything is on 'your' dime. You may welcome ten or twenty guests before one actually asks for the application.

I always ask guests to come to three meeting to see if you really like it too. Because I had a different agenda depending on if it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th meeting night of the month. The quarterly 5th meeting night of the month was movie & pizza night for the Cadets and occassionally Dennys for the Senior Members.