New CAP Driver's License application process in eServices

Started by vento, April 24, 2012, 05:25:30 PM

vento

Did anybody use the newly launched CAP Driver's License application process in eServices?
It is supposed to be the new way to obtain a CAP Driver's License and the qualification would show up on the 101 card.

I've sent my application in, but so far haven't heard anything back yet (confirmation e-mail).

Eclipse

Just entered my request for renewal.

My wing gets the abstracts for us, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

My CAP DL expires next month when my state DL expires.  It will be interesting to see how this process works.

Why does CAP bother with an internal license?  It adds extra administrative burden without any clear benefit I'm aware of.  It might be different if we had to take a "check-ride."  My CAP DL was purely a paper chase.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

There's plenty of people on the road who can legally drive that we don't want anywhere near a COV.

DUI's with hardship licenses, people with a history of accidents, people with lots of tickets, people with lots of parking tickets, people with certain
specific restrictions on their licenses, etc.

These are automatic disqualifiers for a CAP license, while they could certainly be on the road in many states:

DUI/DWI
Three or more moving violations
Six or more non-moving violations
Reckless driving
Vehicle felony (hit and run; negligent homicide; theft; assault with a motor vehicle)
License revocation is automatic permanent CAP DL revocation.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

^ Good points all around.  I hadn't thought it through that far.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 05:46:16 PM

My wing gets the abstracts for us, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

I can tell you from a conversation with the wing transportation officer on Thursday that they're still not sure what they're going to do with that application.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 06:12:33 PM

I can tell you from a conversation with the wing transportation officer on Thursday that they're still not sure what they're going to do with that application.

Other than eliminating the paper, I don't see what the issue is - member enters their info, LGT reviews and uploads the abstract.
Click, approve, done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 06:19:50 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 06:12:33 PM

Other than eliminating the paper, I don't see what the issue is - member enters their info, LGT reviews and uploads the abstract.
Click, approve, done.

She said something about a wet signature >:D. *nudge nudge*

Just kidding, but that's kind of along the lines of what I said. Instead of having to track down each commander, they can just click a button when it pops up. Though, there are still squadron and group commanders in our wing that don't acknolwedge the existence of computers and still fax activity approvals to wing...

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 06:23:25 PMThough, there are still squadron and group commanders in our wing that don't acknolwedge the existence of computers and still fax activity approvals to wing...

Yeah, no kidding, that and snail mail.  Ugh.

Working it, but it's slow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

I haven't see it yet. where on exervices is it located? 

Never mind found it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Spaceman3750

Why is there no box next to the 8/9 passenger authorization and why is there no 12pac authorization?

ßτε

Quote from: Flint on April 24, 2012, 07:07:42 PM
I haven't see it yet. where on exervices is it located?
Operations Qualifications (and My Operations Qualifications).

ßτε

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 07:10:53 PM
Why is there no box next to the 8/9 passenger authorization and why is there no 12pac authorization?
They aren't on yours? They appear on mine.

Spaceman3750

Must be because I'm under 21. Hm. Oh well, that problem will go away in a few months.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2012, 07:19:20 PM
Must be because I'm under 21. Hm. Oh well, that problem will go away in a few months.

Yes, under 21 the options are limited.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Has anything changed about what we are required to produce for one?

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 24, 2012, 07:31:29 PM
Has anything changed about what we are required to produce for one?

Not that I can see.

Requirements -

Age check (18)
Copy of current Driver's License
Copy of current driving abstract

Still requires you renew your state DL before renewing your CAPDL.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

So the CAPDL is a four year thing? I didn't think anything in CAP lasted over three years without renewal.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 24, 2012, 08:15:52 PM
So the CAPDL is a four year thing? I didn't think anything in CAP lasted over three years without renewal.

Everything I can find says that your CAP ID is concurrent with your state driver's license, and that's the way its always worked in my wing.
No idea if that is any different in a state like Arizona where a license is good until your 65th birthday.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 08:27:24 PM

Everything I can find says that your CAP ID is concurrent with your state driver's license, and that's the way its always worked in my wing.
No idea if that is any different in a state like Arizona where a license is good until your 65th birthday.
The CAPDL is valid for no more than 5 years. It needs to be renewed every 5 years or when the state DL is renewed, whichever is sooner.

Eclipse

Quote from: ß τ ε on April 24, 2012, 08:42:02 PM

The CAPDL is valid for no more than 5 years. It needs to be renewed every 5 years or when the state DL is renewed, whichever is sooner.

Is that in 77-1?

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 09:21:54 PM

Is that in 77-1?

Yes. Paragraph 1-5 h if you can't find it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Well that sucks. My DL is good for six years. Have to renew the CAP DL and then do it again after a year when my DL expires.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SARDOC

Quote from: davidsinn on April 25, 2012, 01:23:29 AM

Well that sucks. My DL is good for six years. Have to renew the CAP DL and then do it again after a year when my DL expires.

I was thinking the same thing...My OL is good for 7 years...just enough to make it inconvenient.

Lord of the North

The five year expiration of CAP DL is nothing new.  The oldest CAPR 77-1 I have is the 1 SEPTEMBER 2003 issue and the requirement is there and it is not an update.  Strange that all of the people who know so much about other areas of CAP don't seem to know a long standing requirement.

Eclipse

If your state has a less than 5 year DL renewal, it never comes up.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Lord of the North on April 25, 2012, 04:14:04 AM
The five year expiration of CAP DL is nothing new.  The oldest CAPR 77-1 I have is the 1 SEPTEMBER 2003 issue and the requirement is there and it is not an update.  Strange that all of the people who know so much about other areas of CAP don't seem to know a long standing requirement.

I've only had to renew the CAP DL once so far and the six year cycle for my state DL is a fluke as they convert to a new method of renewals.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2012, 05:56:29 PM
There's plenty of people on the road who can legally drive that we don't want anywhere near a COV.

+1

When I was a Squadron Commander I turned people down for their CAP drivers license. Interesting thing I never got a grivance or a call from higher headquarters about it either.   ::)

a2capt

Quote from: davidsinn on April 25, 2012, 01:23:29 AMWell that sucks. My DL is good for six years. Have to renew the CAP DL and then do it again after a year when my DL expires.
Well, then the next time, they'll match. After that, it'll be the next four cycles for them to match again. By then you can get the 50 year membership. ;)

Eclipse

I received an approval email today for a CAPDL renewal request, so that's a good sign on the implementation of the new module.

That's the first time I've ever received an email out of Operations Qualifications.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 26, 2012, 08:35:33 PM
I received an approval email today for a CAPDL renewal request, so that's a good sign on the implementation of the new module.

That's the first time I've ever received an email out of Operations Qualifications.

*hides the keys* ;D

arajca

How is it annotated on yuor 101 card? I'm still waiting for my wing level approval.

Eclipse

Haven't seen my personal one go through yet, wing has to pull the abstract for me.

This was for someone else's.  I've got some temp rights in LG or a project I'm helping with.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Hmm, I haven't received anything yet, not even the confirmation about receiving my application.

I've followed the instructions, but just to make sure, we are not supposed to type anything into "Member driving record verified compliant with CAPR...", correct?

Eclipse

When I sent my personal one up, I didn't receive anything, either.

Correct - that is for the approver to check once they have reviewed your record.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

mikebank

You can go back and look at the module, and it will show you who has approved it and sent it on up...
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

greatdane1945

Answers from NHQ concerning new DL procedure:

Your announcement brings a few questions to mind...

CAPR 77-1 limits the time period that a CAP DL can be issued for to 5 years. Is the new program limiting everyone to 5 years max or will the CAP DL expire at the same time the state DL expires? The CAP DL will now expire at the same time the state DL expires. If so, when will CAPR 77-1 be up-graded to permit 5+ year CAP DL's?

"There will be an admin change to the CAPR 77-1 to reflect this change soon."

Our wing supplement states that one must be 21+ to obtain a CAP DL (from our wing). I would guess the 'approver' can deny approval to those within our wing who are under 21.

"That's correct".

Will the current CAPF 75 be phased out or just completely dropped?

"Eventually the CAPF 75 will be phased out and all will be required to carry the CAPF101. When a member's grandfathered CAP driver's license expires and/or state driver's license expires, they must use the online system to obtain a new CAP driver's license."

Will wings have the option of continuing to issue 75's?

"No, when a member's grandfathered CAP driver's license expires and/or state driver's license expires, they must use the online system to obtain a new CAP driver's license. "

Will authorized personnel be able to access a 'listing' of DL's issued, expiration dates, etc.

"Yes"

Hope this clears up some of questions raised by others.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Nathan

Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: greatdane1945 on April 27, 2012, 05:02:19 PM"Eventually the CAPF 75 will be phased out and all will be required to carry the CAPF101.

One would have to presume then, that by that eventuality, 101's will have some method of being issued to those not involved with ES, then. 

There's lot's of people who drive COV's who aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Nathan on April 30, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
Ew. I hate having to pay to access my own records.

Are you referring to having to pull a state abstract?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2012, 09:34:23 PM
Quote from: Nathan on April 30, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
Ew. I hate having to pay to access my own records.

Are you referring to having to pull a state abstract?

In California it costs $5.  We've always had to pay to get a copy of your driving record.

Eclipse

In Illinois it's $15, but the Wing has an agreement with the DMV and they get them for free.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

If you deal with a legacy insurance company, (Allstate, Farmers, Payusmore, etc. ) with the agent (everyone takes a piece) structure, you can usually get a report from them for nothing. ... of course, they're going to look at it, too. ;-)

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2012, 09:33:50 PM
Quote from: greatdane1945 on April 27, 2012, 05:02:19 PM"Eventually the CAPF 75 will be phased out and all will be required to carry the CAPF101.

One would have to presume then, that by that eventuality, 101's will have some method of being issued to those not involved with ES, then. 

There's lot's of people who drive COV's who aren't.

I've always been involved in ES, so I don't know if this is true. Can't anyone print their own 101 card from eServices, even if it's blank? I know as an ESO I can print a member's "blank" 101.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Camas

Anyone can print his/her own CAPF101 card from e-services and I believe you might be able to print cards from other members of your own unit as well. As you are an ESO you also have permissions to edit and update other member's cards.

I have a CAPF75 from the WMU that our wing has used in the past. So now what must I do to get this updated in e-services? I'm sure I've missed something.

ßτε

Quote from: Camas on May 01, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
Anyone can print his/her own CAPF101 card from e-services and I believe you might be able to print cards from other members of your own unit as well. As you are an ESO you also have permissions to edit and update other member's cards.

I have a CAPF75 from the WMU that our wing has used in the past. So now what must I do to get this updated in e-services? I'm sure I've missed something.
I think anyone can print anyone elses CAPF 101.

If you currently have a CAPF 75, it is valid until your state DL is renewed, or 5 years from issue, whichever is sooner. You do not need to update it until it expires at which time you will use eServices.

PHall

Quote from: ß τ ε on May 01, 2012, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: Camas on May 01, 2012, 07:00:51 PM

I think anyone can print anyone elses CAPF 101.

If you currently have a CAPF 75, it is valid until your state DL is renewed, or 5 years from issue, whichever is sooner. You do not need to update it until it expires at which time you will use eServices.

The first part of your statement is correct. Your current CAPF 75 is good until your state drivers licence expires.
When you renew your state DL, you need to renew your CAP DL using e-services.

Once I uploaded my current state DL and my driving record and submitted it, I had an approved CAP DL in about 48 hours. YMMV.
In CAWG it needs approvals at the squadron, group and wing level.

ßτε

Phil,

I am not sure what you found to be incorrect with my post. Once your DL expires, you need to update the CAP DL in eServices.

Eclipse

Here's what the new DL looks like on the 101 card.

Pretty much a painless process, especially if your wing is getting the abstract for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I got my own abstract, and it was still really easy.

Also, I found out that the uploaded docs are dumped when the license is approved, so they aren't sitting out there unattended on the 'Net.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

That is done intentionally and even says so in the instructions.

Everyone's DL requires approval at their unit level and all higher echelons to wing.

While most wings use the expiration date of your state issued license, some do not, particularly those with 10 year licenses.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 30, 2012, 10:12:28 PMAlso, I found out that the uploaded docs are dumped when the license is approved, so they aren't sitting out there unattended on the 'Net.

Yep - mine were gone as son as the approval come through.

"That Others May Zoom"