CAPID look. . . military???

Started by usafcap1, April 23, 2012, 11:40:11 PM

usafcap1

Do you think that our CAPIDs should look more military like? If Yes! No. or Both why?  8)

~ Thanks

Maybe something like this but w/o the chip.
http://www.dodlive.mil/files/2011/05/army.mil-104075-2011-04-04-090414-300x200.jpg
Or like this (phase 1)
http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-images/2011/04/04/104077/army.mil-104077-2011-04-04-090415.jpg
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

bflynn

Why?  What would it get you?

manfredvonrichthofen

More professional and less like a library card? Yes, and that's about it

SarDragon

What are the real benefits?

Our current ID has the member's picture, name, and CAPID, and the organization's name and some other verbiage. What else do CAP members need?

Everything you posted pictures of is either more costly, or inappropriate for CAP use.

It looks like a solution searching for a problem.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Not this again!!

The current format looks as good as any issued over the past 50 yrs.  The possible exception might be the old CAPF 19 but those were usually issued by a Wing/Group HQ and had in bold print on the bottom "NOT VALID WITHOUT CURRENT MEMBERSHIP CARD".

As for a CAC appearing card that bridge was crossed several yrs ago.  Not gonna happen anytime soon.

usafcap1

My apologies for starting this thread.  8)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

jeders

The military CAC cards referenced in your first post are forbidden by AF regulations, so that aint happening.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Private Investigator

Quote from: bflynn on April 23, 2012, 11:40:41 PM
Why?  What would it get you?

Disneyland admission   :o

spacecommand

CAP_truth

AF disapproved of an ID with looked theirs. Case Closed!! Would like to see the back of the card redesigned better.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

FW

From AFI10-2701 29 JULY 2005:
1.3.5. CAP ID Card. CAP members carry an ID card identifying them as members of the organization.
CAP ID cards must meet Air Force standards and are considered a uniform item subject to the
same approval process as other parts of the CAP uniform. The CAP ID card must be sufficiently different from U.S. Armed Forces ID card that confusion will not occur. The CAP ID card will not allow access to government facilities or other agencies and is not a government identification card. CAP ID cards do not qualify for Federal Aviation Administration identification requirements concerning pilot certificate privileges. Each installation commander is responsible for determining the amount of access, if any, which will be afforded to CAP personnel. However, the ID card will facilitate the identification of an individual as a member of the CAP.

jimmydeanno

I've been a member for 15 years.  It's been at least 12 since I was asked to present my CAPID for any reason.  I'm not sure what the obsession is with having an ID card that looks "more military" considering they cost a bunch more and barely, if ever, come out of our pockets.  Other than the couple of units that use them to get onto their respective base where they meet, in reality, they are just a "feel good" item that barely serves a purpose externally and no purpose internally.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

As a member that meets on base.....we have never had any trouble getting on base with our CAPID....even the old blue no picture cards.

Those bases that are giving CAP a hard time....it is simply a matter for the SD/CAP-RAP to get with that base and figure out what the problem is.

As for a more military look?  It is a Jimmydeanno said....just a feel good for our members that does not help CAP in anyway that I can think of.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: CAP_truth on April 24, 2012, 07:55:05 PM
AF disapproved of an ID with looked theirs. Case Closed!! Would like to see the back of the card redesigned better.

Amen to that.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

spacecommand

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 24, 2012, 11:25:24 PM
I've been a member for 15 years.  It's been at least 12 since I was asked to present my CAPID for any reason.

Getting a bit off topic for me but in my Wing at Sarex's and other training activities, at sign in we show our CAPID, 101 card, CAPF60s etc.  As knowledge base has indicated it is not required in most cases, though commanders can make it a requirement to have a CAPID on your possession. 

jeders

Quote from: spacecommand on April 26, 2012, 12:25:01 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 24, 2012, 11:25:24 PM
I've been a member for 15 years.  It's been at least 12 since I was asked to present my CAPID for any reason.

Getting a bit off topic for me but in my Wing at Sarex's and other training activities, at sign in we show our CAPID, 101 card, CAPF60s etc.  As knowledge base has indicated it is not required in most cases, though commanders can make it a requirement to have a CAPID on your possession.

For us, usually, if you know your CAPID number, you're good. Enter that in and IMU will tell you everything that checking a CAPID and 101 would.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

If a SAREX or mission leads me onto airport or other restricted-type property, I sure want that CAP ID handy to show them I'm not a lunatic in camo.

jimmydeanno

Most of those places don't know what a CAPID is supposed to look like anyway.  I've done plenty of missions that led to airports, military installations, and other "restricted areas" and the only thing they've ever checked has been my government provided ID.  The uniform, van, Elper, etc are pretty telling. 

I can't imagine that our ID card is going to be the item that restricts someone from being able to do a flightline search.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Persona non grata

The intial photo ID card ent from ok to now crap.............quality is lacking.   I will say that being involved in incidents with other agencies that we are not the only game out there with mickey mouse looking cards.  On a postive note:  It's better than the old blue and white card that was typed up.(90's era)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Persona non grata

Also, if we had a card that looked very similar to the DOD CAC...........I am sure that people would misrepersent themselves and get into trouble.  There was a rag tag group(militia type) that was using a id card very similar to the DOD CAC and was gaing access to a DOD installation.  Talk about wanabees........I wont mention the groups name becaus eI dont want to start and fires that have already been put out.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........