Should Senior Training have an expiration date?

Started by Trung Si Ma, January 22, 2007, 01:42:39 PM

sandman

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 24, 2007, 02:44:48 AM
I can see that we're getting some good discussions going here.

One of the new questions to be asked, based on the discussions here, is the latency of the Specialty Badge.  Do we consider it a historical accomplishment badge or a currency badge?

I believe that the ribbons are the historical record - three silver stars on your leadership ribbon - and am beginning to believe that the specialty badges should be considered currency badges (i.e. see my cadet programs master badge showing that I am current as a master level CP-er).

Comments?

I see it as an accomplishment badge. I might have senior airborne wings or pilot wings and once awarded can wear them "forever" (barring any diciplinary action that actually removes the award from my "201" file) but that does not mean I am current on the equipment I initially qualified with. Also, "airborne" needs to do a refresher jump or stick of jumps to be current (and keep that jump pay!!)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

RiverAux

Notwithstanding the fact that the whole PD program needs revamping and some measure of equality between specialties, I'm not too worried about this issue.  If somebody earned a Logistics rating 20 years ago it doesn't hurt me if they wear the badge (how many people are wearing those anyway?  No need for all those badges in the first place). 

As to currency, if you're serving in the job you're rated for, you should probably be considered current because you're supposedly competently performing the duties.  If you're no longer in the job, no need to stay current. 

We need to consider working on these specialty tracks a bit anyway.  Look at the age of the guides for some of these critical specialties that have undergone significant change in how their duties are carried out:
Logisistics :1990
Flight Ops: 1985
Stan/Eval: 1985
Comm: 1994
Safety: 1992

Now, about the only time it matters that you have a rated person doing a job is when it is Wing Compliance Inspection time.  There you do get hit in many places if your staff officer isn't rated.    That might be the point where you would want to enforce any currency standards. 

Overall, not a bad idea, but not a priority issue in my book.

gallagheria

Well, I am new to the CAP environment, but from experience in other fields, I would say that training certainly should have to be renewed. What a person learned 20 years ago isn't necessarily the same as it is today.

On the other hand, as far as awards or badges, that is a tough one. Take the Army, for instance. A person goes to Ranger School, or Special Forces, or earns the President's Hundred Tab, and they continue to wear it for the rest of their life. Should they have to give it up after so many years?

A person goes to Jump School or Air Assault School or Pathfinder School and they get the badge. Should they have to give it up if they never jump again, if they never repel again, or if they are never with an Infantry or combat arms unit?

I am really not sure. I certainly think that people need to be trained and requalified every so many years. In the SDF, the official policy for Georgia I believe is three years. If a soldiers has been out of the military for fewer than three years, they can skip our IET (Initial Entry Training). However, I see this policy constantly ignored. Soldiers who have been out for 10 or more years are taken in and automatically given their prior rank and they skip IET. Lots of things change in 10 or more years. Some soldiers I really do not see as qualified to retain a rank they held 15 years ago.

I imagine it is similar in CAP. Training should certainly be renewed, especially if one is inactive.

RogueLeader

Quote from: msmjr2003 on January 23, 2007, 05:40:58 PM

I know it sticks in some folks' crawl wrong, but CAP is a civilian model and it is more likely to compare CAP's ProDev with civilian education vs. the AF's PME.  With that in mind, you'll be hard pressed to see anybody with a BA/BS degree go back to school to "freshen up."

You are partially wrong.  Teachers, for example, are required to take at least at least one course evry three to five years to keep their liscensure current.  The time differs due to how long that they have been teaching,
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

As engineers, my coworkers and I frequently give and receive training on new technologies, equipment and pocess changes that affect our workplace.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ZigZag911

Perhaps online "refresher" courses in the various specialties, every 3 to 5 years?
Or more often, if it seems advisable.

brasda91

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 23, 2007, 04:45:06 PM
I'm in the process of making a Senior Member Progression Chart just like we use for cadets. 

I guess since the cadet achievements have changed in the last couple of years, has anyone produced an updated version they would mind sharing?  I'm interested in something that you would post on the bulletin board so you would have a visual reference to where each cadet is in the program.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

rjacobs

Quote from: brasda91 on September 27, 2008, 09:37:53 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 23, 2007, 04:45:06 PM
I'm in the process of making a Senior Member Progression Chart just like we use for cadets. 

I guess since the cadet achievements have changed in the last couple of years, has anyone produced an updated version they would mind sharing?  I'm interested in something that you would post on the bulletin board so you would have a visual reference to where each cadet is in the program.

I know there is an updated version in the TLC student materials.  Take a look at page seven of this link: F1 Cadet Program Fundamentals.
Ralph Jacobs, Maj, CAP
COWG

brasda91

Yeah I've got that.  There used to be a chart that the cadets filled in with their completion date/score for each achievement several years ago.  I'm finishing up on a chart for Level II.  When I'm done, I'll post both my Level I and II charts for everyone.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

OK, here's what I was referring to.  They are posted here in .pdf format.  If you would like to have it in the Excel version so you can tailor it to your needs, PM me.

Please note, the Phase II form does not have the Mitchell Award achievement on it.  Due to the limited size, I couldn't fit it on there.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

jimmydeanno

Quote from: brasda91 on September 28, 2008, 12:11:22 PM
Yeah I've got that.  There used to be a chart that the cadets filled in with their completion date/score for each achievement several years ago.  I'm finishing up on a chart for Level II.  When I'm done, I'll post both my Level I and II charts for everyone.

Here's what we use at my squadron.  Formatted in 11X17.
The cadet one has two tabs, Phase 1&2 on one tab, 3-5 on the other.  We laminate them and use a dry erase marker to make the check boxes.  Again, 11X17 format.

Feel free to use as desired.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011