Main Menu

Moving to VA

Started by USAFgirl, October 30, 2010, 12:53:00 AM

USAFgirl

I am exited about moving to Virginia from Florida but the only thing I am concerned about is transferring squadrons.
I already emailed the commander and told them my situation. They told me that I should arrive to one of the meeting and they would enter the transfer into eServices. Is there anything else that anybody can help me with?

Is there anything else that I should do? Thankyou so much!
//SIGNED//
NIKYLA WARDROP, CAP
FRedericksburg Composite Sq.

Dad2-4

Get printed copies of your records from your FL squadron and hand carry them to your new squadron. Make copies for yourself as well and keep a personal file current.

Eclipse

The transferring member gets the originals to hand carry to the new squadron, not copies.

The former squadron may keep copies in their inactive file but is not required to.

See 39-2 for the reg.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

You're right. I had it backwards. I've only done it once.

Stonewall

Where in Virginia?  There are two wings in Virginia.  National Capital Wing in the Northern Virginia area which is basically inside the I-495 Beltway, but is physically outside the Beltway.  Then, of course, there is Virginia Wing.

If you're into ES and live in Northern VA, shoot for a DC Wing squadron.  The state of Virginia has very strict age requirements as well as training requirements that often prohibit cadets from doing ES.

I miss DCWG....FLWG....well, I'm no longer in FLWG and I live in FL.
Serving since 1987.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2010, 01:03:56 AM
The transferring member gets the originals to hand carry to the new squadron, not copies.

The former squadron may keep copies in their inactive file but is not required to.

See 39-2 for the reg.

The former squadron SHOULD keep a copy... (haven't we had this discussion before?)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

BillB

Stonewall

Check and see if because of the drought in North Florida, the rivers may have dried up and you are now in Georgia Wing. Besides the Georgia Wing Headquarters is closer to you than the Florida Wing Headquarters
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

nesagsar

Is there a good ES presence in the Falls Church area?

Stonewall

Falls Church is right down the road, probably a few miles, from Fairfax Composite Squadron of the National Capital Wing.  I commanded the squadron for a few years in the early 2000s.  We conducted SAREXs once a month and were called out regularly for missions, often to support VA Wing.  But since we were an "outside resource" providing mutual aid, we were not required to meet the state SAR standards that VA wing folks were.

Mount Vernon and Fairfax squadrons were always heavy into ES for at least 40 years.  I don't know for sure, but they may have fallen to the easier route of honor guard and drill team activities.  Hopefully not though.  I've been gone since 2006.
Serving since 1987.

SARDOC

It would be more helpful if we knew where in Virginia you were going...be sure to carry your ORIGINAL record with you so that you can continue your cadet progress on time

nesagsar

Quote from: Stonewall on October 31, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
I've been gone since 2006.

I've been out since 2005 and I was a cadet back then. Guess there's no chance of getting those records, good thing I made photocopy's of some stuff.

Stonewall

Quote from: nesagsar on October 31, 2010, 08:54:17 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 31, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
I've been gone since 2006.

I've been out since 2005 and I was a cadet back then. Guess there's no chance of getting those records, good thing I made photocopy's of some stuff.

Who are you?  Do I know you?  Fairfax and Mount Vernon were always good about keeping files.  I was smart though, I took mine with me.
Serving since 1987.

nesagsar

I was a cadet in Illinois. GLR-IL-004. I moved to VA about 3 months ago for a government job. Sometime I want to get back into scouts and CAP.

Edited for additional detail.

Stonewall

Okay, I thought you were saying you used to be in Fairfax Squadron.
Serving since 1987.

CAP.is.1337

It would be Helpful to know where in Virginia you'll be moving to.

Quote from: Stonewall on October 30, 2010, 02:08:39 AM
If you're into ES and live in Northern VA, shoot for a DC Wing squadron.  The state of Virginia has very strict age requirements as well as training requirements that often prohibit cadets from doing ES.

Where and when did you get this information? The only VAWG-specific age restriction I know of is the minimum age to attend VDEM classes.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Stonewall

Which is 16, no?  You must be FTM qualified to be called, right? Or has it changed.

So basically if you as an individual have met CAP GTM standards you must still graduate through the state standards.  Talk about jumping through hoops.  And what good is it if 1 or 2 cadets are state qualified if your seniors are not? You're stuck because you can't deploy without a senior member.
Serving since 1987.

CAP.is.1337

The age limit is VDEM imposed, not VAWG. At this point, VDEM FTM/FTL classes aren't required for CAP personnel on CAP missions, but available to those who can take them.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

DakRadz

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on November 02, 2010, 05:05:58 AM
The age limit is VDEM imposed, not VAWG. At this point, VDEM FTM/FTL classes aren't required for CAP personnel on CAP missions, but available to those who can take them.
He never said it was VAWG, he said state of Virginia- and the VDEM is a state organization.
See:
Quote from: Stonewall on October 30, 2010, 02:08:39 AM
Emphasis mine.

Now back to helping the young cadet out.