Join now or wait until I move in August?

Started by Anchors Aweigh, April 22, 2010, 03:15:19 AM

Anchors Aweigh

Hello everyone.  I am prior service and am very interested in joining the CAP.  I currently live in Oklahoma, and would like to go ahead and join a local squadron, but I will be moving to Nebraska in August.  Would transferring to another unit be an easy process, or would I be better off just waiting until I get to Nebraska to join initially?  Thanks for your advice!   ;D

vento

It usually take two to three visits to a squadron meeting before an application form is completed. The visits are improtant because each squadron is different, you may feel right at home in one and not so in another, the experience is almost similar to that of buying a house. Once the application is submitted to HQ, it will take 4-6 weeks for processing before you receive your membership card.

I have never heard of any troubles transferring to another unit as long as you are in good standing. So if you like CAP, time permitting (for the application), I'd suggest you to join earlier than later. The only risk is that of not being able to find a squadron that you like after you move to another state.

Major Carrales

It all depends on your desires and intent.  If you simply enjoy the idea of CAP and want to contribute as a "whole" CAP person, join and then adapt to the unit.

That said, the above advice provided by Vento is sound.  It is a good idea to examine the local unit and see if it is a "place you want to be." "CAP Culture" varies...as seen in the differing opinions of the members of this forum. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

IF you decide to join make sure you have a very direct and open conversation with the commander of the unit prior to signing.

Let them know that you will be leaving in just a few months but would like to get your experience going sooner than later.  Don't dig in with both feet, especially in a job that doesn't have existing standards and someone to easily come in behind you.

I would suggest that you help out where you can but don't run point on anything until you have a bit of permanence.

Best of luck
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4