Main Menu

IS-5 VS AWR-160

Started by Holding Pattern, April 01, 2019, 04:40:45 PM

Holding Pattern

IS-5: https://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=is-5.a
"This Independent Study course is intended to provide a general introduction to hazardous materials that can serve as a foundation for more specific studies in the future. This course does not meet Hazardous Materials response requirements identified in HAZWOPER standard (29CFR1910.120(q)(6)(i). The course has five Units which are outlined below."

vs

AWR-160: https://teex.org/Pages/Class.aspx?course=AWR160&courseTitle=WMD/Terrorism%20Awareness%20for%20Emergency%20Responders

"This online course focuses on training responders to meet the requirements established in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 472 (2008 ed.), Chapter 4, "Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel," and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q) (6) (i) (a-f) "First Responder Awareness Level" competencies.

This course takes an all-hazards approach to Hazardous Material (HazMat) incidents, including acts of terrorism where Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) materials may have been used. It provides participants the knowledge to recognize the hazardous material, protect themselves, notify others, and secure the scene."

---

Both are free. We've chosen the one that doesn't meet federal requirements. Shouldn't we use AWR-160 instead?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2019, 05:00:10 PM
We who?

The sUAS program administrators for CAP. IS-3 and IS-5 are on the pre-req training list.

Eclipse

OK - my bad, I know it's in the sUAS forum, but some note in that regard might not hurt.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 01, 2019, 04:40:45 PM

We've chosen the one that doesn't meet federal requirements. Shouldn't we use AWR-160 instead?

"We" haven't chosen anything. The AF and FEMA have told CAP what is needed.  I completed IS-5.a and IS-3 a few weeks ago.  Its needed for both sUAS Pilots and also for sUAS Technicians.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on April 01, 2019, 05:56:55 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 01, 2019, 04:40:45 PM

We've chosen the one that doesn't meet federal requirements. Shouldn't we use AWR-160 instead?

"We" haven't chosen anything. The AF and FEMA have told CAP what is needed.  I completed IS-5.a and IS-3 a few weeks ago.  Its needed for both sUAS Pilots and also for sUAS Technicians.

Pretty sure FEMA didn't tell us to use IS-5, actually. And I'd be willing to bet that if someone on the USAF side said to use IS-5, they may not be aware of the big disclaimer on the course saying it does NOT meet federal requirements.

Eclipse

So you're suggesting FEMA is not aware that it's own course doesn't meet what would be effectively
their requirements and would suggest to use a third-party non-Federal source for the training?

Especially in that CAP / USAF is neither Fire service nor first responder so the requirement wouldn't even appear to apply.

Which doesn't even address why on earth a drone driver needs hazmat training.  Just don't lick it if it falls into glowing goo.

The FEMA course is clearly a high-level orientation, which is all CAP would ever need at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

QuoteWe've chosen the one that doesn't meet federal requirements. Shouldn't we use AWR-160 instead?
No. The federal requirements you're hung up on are for first responders to hazmat incidents and employees involved in hazmat operations.  https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness/hazwoper/preparedness.html

The sUAS program is not training us to be first responders to hazmat incidents. Just like it's not training us to manage nuclear incidents, even though IS-3 is Radiological Emergency Management.  The courses that the SQTR requires are for orientation to what scenarios might be included in the program.

Mike

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
So you're suggesting FEMA is not aware that it's own course doesn't meet what would be effectively
their requirements and would suggest to use a third-party non-Federal source for the training?

No, I'm suggesting no one consulted FEMA before plugging this course into the pre-req list. I am open to being wrong.

Luis R. Ramos

Of course FEMA is aware!

Some members are tripping up on their own misunderstanding of the issues. Why wouldn't FEMA be aware of it? Or want to poke fun at FEMA as well. Quote from FEMA's IS-5a:

. . . . This Independent Study course is intended to provide a general introduction to hazardous materials that can serve as a foundation for more specific studies in the future. This course does not meet Hazardous Materials response requirements identified in HAZWOPER standard (29CFR1910.120(q)(6)(i). . . .

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 01, 2019, 06:32:29 PM
Of course FEMA is aware!

Some members are tripping up on their own misunderstanding of the issues. Why wouldn't FEMA be aware of it? Or want to poke fun at FEMA as well. Quote from FEMA's IS-5a:

. . . . This Independent Study course is intended to provide a general introduction to hazardous materials that can serve as a foundation for more specific studies in the future. This course does not meet Hazardous Materials response requirements identified in HAZWOPER standard (29CFR1910.120(q)(6)(i). . . .

^^^ Bingo.   Again ... CAP is being "told" what to do with much of this new program. Including the order that Wings are being brought into it. (Up to 19 Wings currently I believe)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 01, 2019, 06:32:29 PM
Of course FEMA is aware!

I thought including that quote in my original post would prevent misunderstanding. I was wrong.