Naval Sea Cadets

Started by Flying Pig, February 15, 2009, 02:52:06 AM

Flying Pig

I like the Sea Cadets training list. I wish we could get some of our cadets to piggy back these courses!  Does anyone have any experience with these or the Sea Cadets in themselves?  There is a Sea Cadet unit here in Fresno, but I dont know anything about them.

TRAINING SCHOOLS

AIRMAN TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TRAINING
FAA GROUND SCHOOL
CULINARY ARTS TRAINING
MEDICAL TRAINING (GENERAL, FIELD, SURGICAL & DENTAL TECH)
FIREFIGHTING TRAINING
PHOTO JOURNALISM TRAINING
CEREMONIAL GUARD
SUBMARINE SEMINAR
MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING
CONSTRUCTION BATTALION (SEABEE) TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
MINE WAREFARE OPERATIONS TRAINING
MUSIC SCHOOL
SEAL TEAM TRAINING
EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL TRAINING
AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING
PETTY OFFICER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
MASTER-AT-ARMS TRAINING (MILITARY POLICE/LAW)
JUDGE ADVOCATED GENERAL (JAG) TRAINING
SAILING SCHOOL
SCUBA SCHOOL
SEAMANSHIP TRAINING
SHIPBOARD TRAINING
LIVE ABOARD NAVY & COAST GUARD SHIPS & SHORE STATIONS FOR TWO-WEEKS.

RiverAux

Ok, I've got to throw the flag on Naval Sea Cadets SEAL training and Explosive Ordance Disposal Training.  I have a hard time believing that there are even cadet "orientation" versions of these like there is for PJOC.

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on February 15, 2009, 03:56:11 AM
Ok, I've got to throw the flag on Naval Sea Cadets SEAL training and Explosive Ordance Disposal Training.  I have a hard time believing that there are even cadet "orientation" versions of these like there is for PJOC.

I know people who went to them. They exist.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

Okay, the flag has been recalled.  I've looked up some NSC annual reports and am suitably impressed.  Although their membership is less than half of CAP's, they get more of their cadets into the naval academy than we do the Air Force Academy..

However, one key difference is that the NSC is meant to aid in Navy recruiting:
QuoteThe Naval Sea Cadet Corps was formed at the request of the Department of the Navy as a means to "enhance the Navy image in the minds of American youth." To accomplish this, ongoing training illustrates to Naval Sea Cadets the advantages and benefits of careers in the armed services, and in particular,
the sea services.

They actually do surveys (something I've suggested CAP do) tracking how many of their cadets go into the military.  They didn't break it down by percentage but I'd estimate it is pretty high.

The schools flying pig mentioned do exist and given the purpose of the organization they make sense -- they're actually their giving cadets an idea of what they might be able to do in the Navy.  As well as the schools, they do have the opportunity to go stay on ships and get training with the Navy. 

So, my assessment (based only on very limited research) is that they have a very focused cadet program that seems to do a good job of meeting its intended purpose.  CAP and the Air Force might learn a few things about the value of focus from them. 

TEAM SURGE

After seeing this list I think I am going to quit CAP!

Later guys!

Naww, just kidding. This is awesome, we need some activities like this.
I would do anything to do the seal training.
If they can take airman training we should be able to do the seal training.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

I found this website, is the Naval Sea Cadets a non profit organization? I found this website. These cadets seem to have there foot in a bucket of everything. I looks pretty cool.

http://www.seacadets.org/public/mission/
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

winterg

It also looks like they have a year long indoctrination program for adult leaders where they are classed as an instructor before they can recieve an officer promotion.

Also, did you notice the NSCC NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE DEVICE and the NSCC EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL DEVICE and the NSCC SPECIAL WARFARE COMBAT CREWMAN DEVICE?  http://www.seacadets.org/public/programs/nscc_nlcc_awards.pdf

After looking at the info on their site it looks very interesting.  There's an NSCC Cruiser Division here in Milwaukee.  I might have to at least pop over for a visit.

Also, they're pretty strict on the physical fitness:

6. Physical Training. NSCC unit commanding officers (CO's) will schedule physical fitness training as a regular part of the units overall training program. The Physical Fitness Standards are listed on form NSCTNG 020. To augment these standards the NSCC borrows heavily from the President's Challenge Physical Fitness Program. CO's are strongly encouraged to visit the website www.fitness.gov or www.presidentschallenge.org to review this program. Fitness programs are available for the cadets and adults as well. It is essential cadets are able to meet the rigors of recruit and other summer training evolutions. Cadets scheduled to attend NSCC Recruit Training must pass the minimum standards prior to the CO signing and submitting the Request for Training Authority (NSCTNG 001) to the COTC. Cadets must be able to pass the Physical Fitness Test prior to the completion of NSCC Recruit Training. If failed, the cadet is required to "repeat" Recruit Training the following year. Successful completion of Recruit Training is required to attend any type of Advanced Training. NSCC's Physical fitness standards (and Navy's swim qualifications) are at Appendix 3 along with comments regarding maintenance of a PT program at the unit level that encourages daily activity.

Eclipse

As in all things, wiki is your friend:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Sea_Cadets
The Naval Sea Cadet Corps is officially supported by the Navy League of the United States, and is endorsed by the United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard. The United States Coast Guard, through COMDTINST 5728.2C, USCG Public Affairs Manual, has designated the USNSCC as the Coast Guard's primary youth group, instead of a JROTC.

Before we start comparing the organizations, as has also begun in another thread, some key differences need to be indicated up front:

The NSCC is not a Naval program, per se, but as indicated is a program of the Navy League which is a charitable  organization made up of former USN, USMC, & USCG.

The NSCC has no operational component or mission, they may volunteer on occasion to help in times of distress, but that's a different story.

The NSCC has no adult program, all adults involved are focused on the cadets.

The NSCC is clearly a recruiting tool for the Navy, (or other military service) whether an overtly published mission or not.

That doesn't make the NSCC better or worse. just different.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

I know a guy that's in it and it seems like a good program to progress into naval services, but my friend has gone a different route and is learning to become an ATC within the program.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

MIKE

Mike Johnston

RiverAux

They appear to do a very good job meeting its primary purpose -- Navy recruiting.  CAP's cadet program on the other hand seems sort of unfocused and may be trying to do a little too much. 

Sea Cadets aren't a Navy program, but they seem to be getting as much, if not more, support for their programs from the Navy than we do from the Air Force.  Heck, in my state the sea cadets have better access to military facilities than CAP.

Flying Pig

I wonder what it would take to get CAP Cadets in on some of these activities?  What an awesome program to send cadets to the SEAL program or EOD. Now, I know the cadets arent going to EOD school, but it would be a neat partnership to offer.  Perhaps a CAP SEa Cadet/CAP exchange program.

RedFox24

For several years the ILWG Summer Encampment was on base at Volk Field with the Sea Cadets at the same time.  We exchanged instructors, messed together and even participated in each others pass and review.  I can say that they were nothing but a first class organization, well run and well disciplined.  Their cadets at Volk were just at or a little older than our basic cadets.

For a couple of years when the Encampment was at another location in Illinois we had another group of Sea Cadets on base the same time we were.  This unit was a "Sea Bee" unit out of Ohio, they were doing community projects etc.  They were older, high school aged, and their commander was much older than the average CAP senior.  They were a disaster.  They did things contradictory to base policy, harassed our cadets at times, not to mention when they were not off building picnic shelters they would walk around base with their "weapons", yes M16 and SAWs, and point them at our cadets.  They were a complete and total joke.  It was all in their adult  leadership.

Despite this last experience, the NLSC's at Volk was a totally positive experience and so was the information exchange with their Adult leaders.  The biggest thing we learned from them was that most of our cadets could not participate in the SC program because of the physical requirements that a cadet had to pass to participate.  In other words their standard was so high that our cadets couldn't join because they couldn't pass the physical. 

I have nothing but positive comments about their program and would not mind working with the group again.  I have meet other NLSC cadets and seniors sense then, and can say that the group from Ohio was the exception, and not the norm. 
.02 worth.........
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

wuzafuzz

I was in Sea Cadets during the early 80's.  It was a great experience.  At the time they put on a two week basic training at the Navy Training Center in San Diego.  It was run by actual Navy instructors, not home-grown cadet program people.  Later I was able to spend two weeks on an aircraft carrier, shadowing the Master At Arms and "working" in the CIC.  Whether that kind of thing continues post 9-11 I don't know.

We had internal leadership positions within our squadron (aviation focus).  The opportunities to learn and practice were very good.  Most of our leaders were active or reserve Naval officers, Navy chief petty officers, and a smattering of NSCC officers.  As far as I could tell the support from the Navy was very good.  We had dedicated office space with the patrol squadron that sponsored us, we stayed in the BEQ and dined at the mess hall during our drill weekends.

Promotions within the program required the completion of the actual Navy correspondence courses and tests for your chosen field.  Like other cadet programs, advanced grade was awarded to cadets who enlist in the Navy, provided they complete a certain level of training.

Sea Cadets was a great experience and I recommend it highly.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

Here are their PT standards.  Don't seem that much tougher.  http://resources.seacadets.org/training/atm_appendix_3.pdf .  Their mile run time requirements seem lower than CAP's.  

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 15, 2009, 05:06:26 PM
I wonder what it would take to get CAP Cadets in on some of these activities?  What an awesome program to send cadets to the SEAL program or EOD. Now, I know the cadets arent going to EOD school, but it would be a neat partnership to offer.  Perhaps a CAP SEa Cadet/CAP exchange program.

I now have to call a "red flag."  There are people here that have a huge noise about HAWK MOUNTAIN "RANGERS" as "poser and pretenderism" or somehow a "wannabe" item, yet a cadet SEAL team is kosher?

Sounds a bit like "the grass is always greener" syndrome.   Again, be more proud of what CAP is than ashamed of what it is not.

As for the exchange program, I would support that.  The more we can network the better.   That would (or should) however be mutual...thus, sea cadets would be allowed to CAP encampments, powered and glider academies and the like.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

maverik

I want to know how they can carry weapons unloaded or not as far as thheir PT requirements I'm all for the 11.9 secondshuttle haha. :) The only problem I could see with our cadets is the swim.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

SAR-EMT1

Personally, I'm curious about that myself.

I didn't even get to do that in ROTC in college :(
Though I did qualify.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BGNightfall

Swim is not a big deal.  The swim quals are roughly the same as the U.S. Navy's.  Most people in my division in basic passed the swim the first time.  The recruits who did not pass went to remedial swim classes and most of them passed within a month.  I think we only had one guy not graduate with us due to the swim, and I seriously think he was phobic.

Long story short, it would very likely be a good thing to get CAP cadets more familiar with the water.  Especially cadets in coastal regions (where much of this interaction with NSCC would be taking place). 

Flying Pig

From what I have  been able to gather, the SEAL and EOD programs are more PT academies, allowing the cadets to go through the INDOC vs. actually teaching anything related to being a SEAL or EOD.  Also, an overall orientation to Navy EOD or Spec War as a possible career field.