Main Menu

CAP Tirades

Started by CAPDCCMOM, April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM

Damron

Quote from: avguy on April 07, 2016, 09:51:06 PM

CAP proclaims that ABUs are pending final approval, but forces cadets/parents to purchase BDU instead.

Target date is January 1, 2018.  There will probably be a transition period of 6-12 months where both uniforms will be authorized.

Brit_in_CAP

I'll see your 6 to 12 months, and raise - more like 3 years... >:D

PHall

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on April 08, 2016, 03:02:33 PM

Just like every other major uniform change we've had over the years .

Heck, cadets are still transitioning from the old Service Dress to the new Service Dress.
And have been for over 10 years now!

Eclipse

Simply removing an item takes years.

How long does it take to pull a flag?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on April 08, 2016, 03:15:25 PM

Just like every other major uniform change we've had over the years .

Heck, cadets are still transitioning from the old Service Dress to the new Service Dress.
And have been for over 10 years now!

10 years? It was the "new style" when I joined in 2003, and the AF went to it in what, 94-95? Why do we still allow the "old" style? Plenty of current style out there, and they don't look grey/faded either. My unit forced all cadets to the current style in 2006.

vorteks

Cadet cannot promote without possessing a CAP uniform and wearing it properly.

CAP will not provide a uniform (voucher) until after cadet promotes.

Are you implying your unit doesn't approve Curry unless the cadet has a dress blues uniform? Cuz that ain't right.

Damron

It was suggested at my wing conference, where it was first announced, that it was likely that there would be a supply pipeline direct to squadrons. This would explain the ambitious timetable.

avguy

Quote from: varitec on April 08, 2016, 03:48:38 PM
Cadet cannot promote without possessing a CAP uniform and wearing it properly.

CAP will not provide a uniform (voucher) until after cadet promotes.

Are you implying your unit doesn't approve Curry unless the cadet has a dress blues uniform? Cuz that ain't right.

No I am not implying that.  One astute reader accuses me of proclaiming that units instead of members are required to purchase uniforms (BDUs, in that instance) and another infers that I only promote cadets in blues. 

If this thread had been titled "Reasonable and thoughtful discussion of CAP's odd gray areas", I would have honored the spirit of the thread with more a detailed and thoughtful explanation, pointing to the new member perspective.  My "tirade" pointed to frustration with what is, in the minds of new members and parents-who-pay-the-bills who I work with every week, a gray area of uncertainty (where do I buy this stuff?  How come some people get things issued from the squadron and my kid doesn't [lack of available sizes]?  Why is everybody talking about ABUs but I'm told to buy BDUs (whatever those two things are...)?.  Those who have the 20-year perspective on CAP will not see it as rating a tirade or even rating a mention - just business as usual.  And that disconnect between the way old-timers perceive CAP's policies and procedures, and the way newcomers perceive them is part of why so many units struggle with recruiting and retention.
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

Eclipse

^ Simple questions, simple answers.   No issues unless ignored that's where the problem is, not in the answers themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: avguy on April 08, 2016, 04:28:18 PM(Bunch of redacted stuff...)  Why is everybody talking about ABUs but I'm told to buy BDUs (whatever those two things are...)?

The ABU talk is just that - talk. Until USAF pulls the trigger on a transition, however long it takes, we wear BDUs. Given the usually generous transition period, three or more years, it's entirely possible that you could buy a set of BDUs on the day before ABUs are authorized, and get your money's worth during the transition period. This is especially true for growing cadets, who frequently outgrow uniforms before wearing them out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPDCCMOM

Boy People....even a Tirade competition becomes a uniform rant ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 08, 2016, 10:05:34 PM

Amen, Sistah!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 08, 2016, 10:05:34 PM

You wanted a tirade, you got a tirade! >:D

DoubleSecret

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM
Hello All,

I am very bored at work. Looking for the best of the best CAP Tirades. Points to be given on form, content, and multiple conflicting and contradictory regulations.

The gauntlet has been CAST

CAPR 35-5:  Members who meet the eligibility requirement (grade equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard, completion of Level I, serve six months in CAP) may assume a CAP NCO grade equivalent to their military grade upon presentation of documentation to the unit commander, who forwards the CAPF 2 to NHQ for processing.

Reality:  NHQ makes you route it through the entire food chain for the grade sought despite their own publication.  They can follow new rules, you see, but they can't publish them because reasons.

kwe1009

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 10, 2016, 03:10:12 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM
Hello All,

I am very bored at work. Looking for the best of the best CAP Tirades. Points to be given on form, content, and multiple conflicting and contradictory regulations.

The gauntlet has been CAST

CAPR 35-5:  Members who meet the eligibility requirement (grade equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard, completion of Level I, serve six months in CAP) may assume a CAP NCO grade equivalent to their military grade upon presentation of documentation to the unit commander, who forwards the CAPF 2 to NHQ for processing.

Reality:  NHQ makes you route it through the entire food chain for the grade sought despite their own publication.  They can follow new rules, you see, but they can't publish them because reasons.

Beyond reality!  It took over a month for a retired SNCO to get approval to hold a CAP NCO grade.  It had to be reviewed by the Region Command Chief and the National Command Chief.  It was in addition to the regular process of promotion boards at the Wing and Region level.  It is actually MUCH easier for a former military officer to get the equivalent CAP grade by FAR.  Don't know what that is but it sure made for a very frustrating ordeal and the member actually almost left CAP over it. 

DoubleSecret

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 10, 2016, 11:07:53 PM

Beyond reality!  It took over a month for a retired SNCO to get approval to hold a CAP NCO grade.  It had to be reviewed by the Region Command Chief and the National Command Chief.  It was in addition to the regular process of promotion boards at the Wing and Region level.  It is actually MUCH easier for a former military officer to get the equivalent CAP grade by FAR.  Don't know what that is but it sure made for a very frustrating ordeal and the member actually almost left CAP over it.

Big Blue manages to get along without CMSAF or even MAJCOM command chiefs "reviewing" NCO promotions, even to CMSgt.  Why is CAP different?

lordmonar

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 11, 2016, 01:45:07 AM

Big Blue manages to get along without CMSAF or even MAJCOM command chiefs "reviewing" NCO promotions, even to CMSgt.  Why is CAP different?
The only reason Chief Eldridge is review all of them....is because the NCO promotion system is so new, the rules are not all published and we (CAP and NCO committee) are still working out the bugs in the system.

We are actively working on all the obvious problems...have identified several other problems with they system and are trying to get it right.

Thanks for your concern.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jester

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2016, 02:38:07 AM
Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 11, 2016, 01:45:07 AM

The only reason Chief Eldridge is review all of them....is because the NCO promotion system is so new, the rules are not all published and we (CAP and NCO committee) are still working out the bugs in the system.

We are actively working on all the obvious problems...have identified several other problems with they system and are trying to get it right.

Thanks for your concern.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Fubar

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2016, 02:38:07 AMThe only reason Chief Eldridge is review all of them....is because the NCO promotion system is so new, the rules are not all published and we (CAP and NCO committee) are still working out the bugs in the system.

Wow, think we identified one of the bugs. I apologize for the sarcasm, of course you're aware of such an enormous issue. Wouldn't it be better to work off the existing rules before holding people accountable to unpublished regulations?

lordmonar

No one is being " held accountable"   It may be slow and klanky.  But everyone is getting what they deserve.  I mean it took only a month to get a SNCO his stripes.  That sounds like light speed compared to some "normal" promotions.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP