Caracter Dev scenario help

Started by Walkman, July 24, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Walkman

Here's a two-part scenario I'm working on for this week's CD discussion. It's loosely based on a couple of experiences I've had at different companies. I'd like help fleshing it out a bit and some suggestions for questions these scenarios can raise.

QuoteScenario 1:
Capt. Smith started his new job on the first of June during an election year. It's a big step up in his career and he's working hard to make a good impression and be successful. At the end of the month there is a company wide meeting, where one of the executive presents some weighty political issues that will affect his industry. Capt. Smith learns that his new firm has hired a top lobbying firm to influence lawmakers. The executive then mentions the names of candidates that support the industry: a state senator, U.S. congresswoman and two judges. Capt. Smith realizes that these candidate all members of the political party whose view he opposes. The company executive then reminds the staff that the company supports these candidates and "strongly encourages" each employee to not only vote for them, but to assist in campaigning if possible.

Capt. Smith is faced with a challenge. Does he follow the company line and support candidates he opposes on principal, or vote according to his personal views, even if it means making waves in his new job?

Scenario 2:
The following year Capt. Smith is informed that there is a new bill being created in the state legislature that affects his industry. The Senator developing the bill has asked his firm to help draft some parts of the bill as industry experts. Capt. Smith's boss asks him to join a small group that will review the bill and make suggestions that will create advantages for his firm and disadvantages for some of their competition. He again feels conflicted and uncomfortable about participating in this effort.

We've got a very active group of cadets and the discussion is always lively. We've be covering more current event scenarios as the group has pretty much gone through all the lesson from the book.

Thoughts?

Walkman

coudano

Decent start.

Remember that ideally you will be taking whatever scenario you present, and running FAPS on it.
So when I write char dev from scratch, I get the general idea, and then I actually go straight to the FAPS chart.

What are the problems that I want the cadets to identify?
Then I back-build my scenario to present them with both facts and assumptions that they need to identify and differentiate between.

Then it's up to them to suggest solutions.
Of course they may pick out things that you hadn't even thought of (cool!)

Can you FAPS your own scenario here?  (put yourself in the chair of a cadet in the audience; if someone presented this case study to you, what would you do with it?)

Walkman

Quote from: coudano on July 24, 2012, 02:25:09 PM
Decent start.

Remember that ideally you will be taking whatever scenario you present, and running FAPS on it.
So when I write char dev from scratch, I get the general idea, and then I actually go straight to the FAPS chart.

What are the problems that I want the cadets to identify?
Then I back-build my scenario to present them with both facts and assumptions that they need to identify and differentiate between.

Then it's up to them to suggest solutions.
Of course they may pick out things that you hadn't even thought of (cool!)

Can you FAPS your own scenario here?  (put yourself in the chair of a cadet in the audience; if someone presented this case study to you, what would you do with it?)

Good advice. Thanks.