Please Don't Nuke Your Posts

Started by MIKE, March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

Nathan

Quote from: SarDragon on February 23, 2010, 08:13:26 AM
Nah, nor grandson. I asked a long time ago, and he denied close relationship.

At least that I know about. :)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

cust0s

Hah!  This thread is awesome.  I mean some people have issues with posts, others don't seem to care.  When it comes down to it, if someone really wanted their posts deleted after disassociating with CT, well yea it would be amicable to just allow for it.  Remember folks, there's a surplus of lawyers.  If you ever really do need one, just hire one!  If a simple cease and desist letter doesn't work, then go for an injunction.  Once you start talking real damages, well, that's usually when people act.  Unless you settle, it really doesn't matter how many lawyers are in the room nor how long they've been holding a bar card, because only one side usually wins.  Again, if you ever find yourself in a bind, make an appointment with your nearest lawyer. End of story.
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

DakRadz

I don't see anywhere on here referring to folks who want to "disassociate with CT", rather seems to be about active posters who try to hide dirty laundry, or even just confuse an entire thread (even accidentally). [And yes, I did go through the thread and reread all previous posts]

Heck, Eclipse did something similar just this past week and didn't seem too upset when MIKE put it back (caused confusion in the thread, replaced for continuity).

Of course, if I were a betting man, I'd put money that the mods would, if a poster actually got a lawyer involved, give them a complete package- delete all posts, delete profile, IP ban, and a nice email saying "Nice havin' ya, bye :) "

Remember, I am not a moderator and cannot speak for them or their actions, and cannot say what they would actually do. But seriously, anyone who got a lawyer involved for a forum such as this.... Yeah.
(BTW- way to stir the pot!)
P.S. II- I love that Nathan's signature is directly above the post above this one.

cust0s

Quote from: DakRadz on August 08, 2011, 03:59:53 AM
I don't see anywhere on here referring to folks who want to "disassociate with CT", rather seems to be about active posters who try to hide dirty laundry, or even just confuse an entire thread (even accidentally). [And yes, I did go through the thread and reread all previous posts]

Heck, Eclipse did something similar just this past week and didn't seem too upset when MIKE put it back (caused confusion in the thread, replaced for continuity).

Of course, if I were a betting man, I'd put money that the mods would, if a poster actually got a lawyer involved, give them a complete package- delete all posts, delete profile, IP ban, and a nice email saying "Nice havin' ya, bye :) "

Remember, I am not a moderator and cannot speak for them or their actions, and cannot say what they would actually do. But seriously, anyone who got a lawyer involved for a forum such as this.... Yeah.
(BTW- way to stir the pot!)
P.S. II- I love that Nathan's signature is directly above the post above this one.

Stir the pot?  Nah.  Just making a point.  No one explicitly said "disassociate" but if people are wishing to delete their accounts it seems implied they are wishing to delete their posts as well.  I could not imagine what they had said to warrant such a request, but from what I can tell it feels as though they might be met with a difficult time according to previous posts.  If that ends up being the case, instead of everyone playing "armchair lawyer" or speaking to friends, they then ought to see the nearest real one.  That's all I was saying, no pot stirring....
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

Nathan

Quote from: DakRadz on August 08, 2011, 03:59:53 AM

Yeah, I noticed that... but it appears we don't have to worry about this horrible mind-bending paradox happening anymore. :)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2008, 03:10:03 AM
If I make a post that I later decide isn't appropriate to the thread or otherwise decide to delete, why is that a problem for you?  Unfortunately, there isn't an option for members to actually delete their own posts.  I do this every now and again, but it is almost always immediately after I made the original post and realized my mistake.

Because you've decided to self moderate after you've clicked submit and left us with "Deleted" and removed all trace of what you actually posted... inappropriate or otherwise.

I'm asking that members own up to what they post... and just put a quick note after the original text to request deletion....  instead of removing the edit option entirely, or keeping edit logs.

Self moderate before you click submit....  Once you post it, you own it.

What about asking the moderator if they would moderate (remove the posting of concern) so as not to mess things up?  I just retired this year, but I ran into some issues a few years ago that should not have made it onto the main website.  Not realizing it, I deleted my questions.  I guess I should have written a moderator to either remove or hide my postings in questions.  No longer a serving CAP member, I no longer will have to write 'help' questions, but I may be able to answer a few.[size=78%] [/size]

Anyway, I truly enjoy this blog, and now I contribute by answering questions, replete with chapter and verse with current regulations (retired ppl lose eservices, but still have access to main webpage).

Keep having fun!  I was given great advice which I only took this year: "When it stops being fun...leave!"

Take Care, Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Tulip-One on September 02, 2018, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2008, 03:10:03 AM
If I make a post that I later decide isn't appropriate to the thread or otherwise decide to delete, why is that a problem for you?  Unfortunately, there isn't an option for members to actually delete their own posts.  I do this every now and again, but it is almost always immediately after I made the original post and realized my mistake.

Because you've decided to self moderate after you've clicked submit and left us with "Deleted" and removed all trace of what you actually posted... inappropriate or otherwise.

I'm asking that members own up to what they post... and just put a quick note after the original text to request deletion....  instead of removing the edit option entirely, or keeping edit logs.

Self moderate before you click submit....  Once you post it, you own it.

What about asking the moderator if they would moderate (remove the posting of concern) so as not to mess things up?  I just retired this year, but I ran into some issues a few years ago that should not have made it onto the main website.  Not realizing it, I deleted my questions.  I guess I should have written a moderator to either remove or hide my postings in questions.  No longer a serving CAP member, I no longer will have to write 'help' questions, but I may be able to answer a few.[size=78%] [/size]

Anyway, I truly enjoy this blog, and now I contribute by answering questions, replete with chapter and verse with current regulations (retired ppl lose eservices, but still have access to main webpage).

Keep having fun!  I was given great advice which I only took this year: "When it stops being fun...leave!"

Take Care, Dave

Congratulations on your retirement.  But, you do know that you are not obliged to resurrect 10 and 13 year old posts, right? Because that's the sort of hobby that involves other people, for whom the passion is simply not there.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.