Glider training

Started by exarmyguard, January 05, 2010, 11:01:13 PM

exarmyguard

I would like to be a glider pilot through CAP.  I'm a senior member in Massachusetts and want to know how to earn it, on the cheap via CAP.  Peace.

Eclipse

Are you currently a glider-rated pilot?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Your Wing should have a Glider Program coordinator if you have one.  You would need to contact them to find out the availability.  I would say most likely, you will need to be a glider pilot first.  As most Wings don't have glider programs for Senior Members.  I am a glider pilot, and CAWG only has one glider.  An S-33.

If you are a glider pilot which Im assuming your not, you just need a Form 5.  CAP instructors cannot charge for their services.  So finding one who will donate that kind of time could be rough.  But contacting your Wing Glider coordinator is your first step.  Your Sq Commander  or the Wing web site should be able to get you that.

SilverEagle2

Quotewant to know how to earn it, on the cheap via CAP

Then you are out of luck.  >:D
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 05, 2010, 11:15:19 PM
Your Wing should have a Glider Program coordinator if you have one.  You would need to contact them to find out the availability.  I would say most likely, you will need to be a glider pilot first.  As most Wings don't have glider programs for Senior Members.  I am a glider pilot, and CAWG only has one glider.  An S-33.

Except in very rare circumstances, CAP instructor pilots aren't allowed to provide primary instruction to seniors.  I know that's true for powered, but that applies to gliders and balloons, too.  Right?

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 05, 2010, 11:15:19 PMCAP instructors cannot charge for their services.  So finding one who will donate that kind of time could be rough.  But contacting your Wing Glider coordinator is your first step.  Your Sq Commander  or the Wing web site should be able to get you that.

Capt. CFI can't charge SM Student for instructions, but Mr. CFI can provide Mr. Student instruction for whatever he wants to charge.
I know a lot of CAP CFI's will give CAP members reduced rates, especially if it looks as though you might be a CAP asset later on.

But all of that is going to be a ground-level, 1-off situation that you make happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
Except in very rare circumstances, CAP instructor pilots aren't allowed to provide primary instruction to seniors.
Would providing glider pilot training to someone that already has a pilot's license be considered primary flight training as far as CAP is concerned or would it be considered like getting an instrument rating would be for existing pilots (which is allowed)?

exarmyguard

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2010, 11:10:37 PM
Are you currently a glider-rated pilot?

No.

I haven't heard of CAP gliding until I read an article in the Volunteer. 

Eclipse

You might consider applying as staff for Johnson Flight Academy or the National Flight Academy.

Those have a high amount of glider ops, so plenty of opportunity and informed staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

gliderguy

An important question is whether or not you've already got a license for powered aircraft.  There's a world of difference between adding on a glider rating and starting from scratch.   Adding a rating is enough training to go solo, plus 10 flights (a few other things, but you'll see what you need in the FARs). Starting from scratch in gliders is just about the same as starting from scratch in power, except you can only fly when it's nice weather and daylit, there's a glider+instructor+towplane+towpilot available, etc.  It can be done (I did it), but going the glider route will be more time consuming.

Beyond that, the regs allows for seniors to get a glider rating.  Ask for the state glider director and have fun.  And don't be shy about volunteering to help on the ground.  You'd be surprised how often open seats appear for those who serve.

DG

All CAP members are authorized to use CAP gliders for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.

Climbnsink

Seniors can get primary training in gliders.  For the OP there is a glider operation in Springfield VT active every weekend in the summer.

airmanbooker

In addition to what has been mentioned above, the Soaring Society of America has a fairly inexpensive training program. 
Check out my flying blog!
- Ultralights
- Experimental Aviation
- Private Space Travel
- Black Aviation History

http://garyisairborne.blogspot.com

FastAttack

Quote from: gliderguy on January 06, 2010, 01:10:24 AM
An important question is whether or not you've already got a license for powered aircraft.  There's a world of difference between adding on a glider rating and starting from scratch.   Adding a rating is enough training to go solo, plus 10 flights (a few other things, but you'll see what you need in the FARs). Starting from scratch in gliders is just about the same as starting from scratch in power, except you can only fly when it's nice weather and daylit, there's a glider+instructor+towplane+towpilot available, etc.  It can be done (I did it), but going the glider route will be more time consuming.

Beyond that, the regs allows for seniors to get a glider rating.  Ask for the state glider director and have fun.  And don't be shy about volunteering to help on the ground.  You'd be surprised how often open seats appear for those who serve.

I found it a lot easier to do my glider ticket first then i transitioned into power :)

saved me a lot of $$$

anyhow after what everyone said here ,

then if you get your glider ticket. Wouldn't CAP regs state that then you could do your single engine land addon rating and use CAP aircraft doing it?

Because you would be a Private Pilot already. All you doing is adding a rating in Single Engine.

just very curious.

flyguy06

Senior memebrs can get primary glider trainign toward a Private Pilot certificate in CAP. Gliders only though, not powered.

FastAttack

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 03, 2010, 04:34:31 PM
Senior memebrs can get primary glider trainign toward a Private Pilot certificate in CAP. Gliders only though, not powered.

I don't think your getting me

You use CAP to get your Private Pilot Glider.

technically under CAP regs , you can get additional "ratings" to your PPL. So wouldn't adding a single engine land rating to your ppl consider ok under 60-1?

Because in essence its no longer primary flight training as you are already a pilot.

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Thrashed

The hard part is:
Getting a glider
Getting a tow plane
Getting a glider instructor with time that will work for free
Getting a tow pilot with time and that will work for free
Paying for the glider
Paying for the tow plane
Getting good weather

Get all these things to come together dozens of times and you are set.  Good luck.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

Flying Pig

Ive seen planets align faster.......

FastAttack

Quote from: Thrash on February 03, 2010, 10:32:27 PM
The hard part is:
Getting a glider
Getting a tow plane
Paying for the glider
Paying for the tow plane
Getting good weather

Get all these things to come together dozens of times and you are set.  Good luck.  ;D

Again I am not debating the above , I am just curious if what i said would make sense ;)

Also the above could work out if your wing is active with the glider program and so far just a few wings are. and you get an instructor to agree to it.

Believe me if I was a CFIG and i had the time i wouldn't mind doing it. All they need to do is pay for the tow and I would just be happy.

hell same thing if i was a Power instructor , get me flying and I would sign off on training as long as I am in the air.

I guess for me flying is such deep hobby that I wouldn't see myself charging.. but I would have them pay for the flight though :P

All i would be, is  nagging passenger telling you what to do lol.

Climbnsink

My squadron runs glider ops on every good weather weekend in the summer.  Still have to pay for the tows and the weather....     it can be done.   Glider flying generally takes more time commitment just the way it is.
Quote from: Thrash on February 03, 2010, 10:32:27 PM
The hard part is:
Getting a glider
Getting a tow plane
Paying for the glider
Paying for the tow plane
Getting good weather