Do you look for CAP planes at the Airport?

Started by jimmydeanno, September 22, 2009, 05:53:51 PM

jimmydeanno

I just got back from Puerto Rico yesterday.  I was in the taxi on the way back to Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU), when we passed Fernando Luis Ribas Dominicci Airport (Isla Grande (SIG)).  Right along the fence I notice the red white and blue tail section of a CAP airplane. 

I got all warm and tingly inside, seeing the CAP presence there.

It was then I realized that when I'm at or around GA airports, I like to look around to see if there is a CAP plane stationed there.  A few times there have been a CAP member doing a pre-flight or whatever and I'll go shoot the breeze for a few minutes.  It's pretty fun.

Anyone else do this?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

I catch myself doing that all of the time. Anytime I travel I look for squadrons in the area for a possible visit. I also look for their aircraft.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

I usually see the tail end of mine sticking out the maintenance bay doors! :-*

vento

All the times when I go to Gillespie, Long Beach, Torrance, Hemet, etc...

DC

I don't actively look for them, but I do enjoy seeing them and hearing 'CAP Flight' callsigns over the radio. I seem to see more CAP planes when I am driving by a random airport than when I'm actually flying, but still, I do get a nice warm-fuzzy.

NIN

I was bombing up the highway the other day near Nashua Airport, and part of the pattern extends over the highway, so I'm always seeing planes making the base-to-final turn, usually, and that particular day, it was a red-white-and-blue 172... Yay!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

esilassy

My little cousin put up a pic on his facebook about this little plane that kept buzzing his house........ 

There is a great pic on facebook of a CAP cessna! 

I always look for CAP planes.

Stonewall

I look at all planes flying over, around, landing, taking off.  Just last drill I was on the ramp and saw a GAWG A/C taking off.  I commented to another guy in the Guard who had no clue what I was talking about.

One time I saw a FLWG A/C flying up and down the coast in N. FL.
Serving since 1987.

Nolan Teel

As a corporate pilot I get to fly to all kinds of small GA Airports.  I must admit its a nice feeling seeing a CAP Airplane out flying.  It does suck when you get cut off in the pattern of a non controlled airport by a CAP Airplane...

flyguy06

Quote from: Nolan Teel on September 23, 2009, 01:59:03 PM
As a corporate pilot I get to fly to all kinds of small GA Airports.  I must admit its a nice feeling seeing a CAP Airplane out flying.  It does suck when you get cut off in the pattern of a non controlled airport by a CAP Airplane...

I am sorry that happens to you. I think thatis tragic that that ikind of thing happens. I firmly believe that CAP pilots should set the correct example for General Aviation flying. We stand out and people look at us. We really need to be aware of that and set a good example for the flying public.

Thrashed

No CAP airplanes at my "home" airport of KEWR.  None of the local airports near me (MPO & N43) have CAP planes either.  Is there a way to find out where CAP planes are based?

Save the triangle thingy

Al Sayre

If you have permissions, there is a report in WIMRS.  If not, ask around...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Nolan Teel

I always teach CAP Pilots that they should consider themselves flying for an airline, heres why...

1. We have a standard paint job for the fleet, for the most part.
2. We have standard call signs
3. We have a training course with checking requirements
4. We have our own company policies, 60-1.
5. We have customers.

So with those items in mind, we are like an airline.  So when we screw up people will notice. By people I mean others not in CAP.

Airrace

I always look for airplanes in general. I perfer the World War II type but am always glad to see a CAP airplane.

PHall

And some of those "CAP" planes you see at the airport are not CAP planes anymore.

Example, the Maule that used to be at my unit was sold and is now in France still in it's CAP paint job minus the CAP markings.
There is also a C-182 at the March ARB Aero Club that is a former CAWG aircraft and is still flying in it's rather new CAP paint job.

DC

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2009, 02:23:03 AM
And some of those "CAP" planes you see at the airport are not CAP planes anymore.

Example, the Maule that used to be at my unit was sold and is now in France still in it's CAP paint job minus the CAP markings.
There is also a C-182 at the March ARB Aero Club that is a former CAWG aircraft and is still flying in it's rather new CAP paint job.
Did they at least remove the roundel and CAP markings? It wouldn't be good for us if someone did something stupid in a plane with 'Civil Air Patrol' written all over it....

Nolan Teel

Once a CAP Airplane is marked to be sold they take off all markings, remove DF equimpment and CAP Radios.

scooter

We are in the process of selling a CAP 182 now. All we are doing to the airpalne is removing the GPS, Becker, and TDFM136. The CAP decals are going to be masked and then painted black. That's all. Going to really mess up the nice fairly new CAP paint. :(

RiverAux

I don't remember looking for them, but when I was in Anchorage I happened to see some CAP planes at the airport (1 of them a seaplane) and drove a bit out of my way to get a closer look. 

flyguy06

I used to be a Reserve Deputy Sheriff. I was part of the Air Support unit. We had two OH-58's and a Cessna 182. The 182 was a former CAP aircraft. It still had the paint scheme on it. It was funny flying that plane for the Sheriff Dept and flying CAP planes also. We gave that plane to the State Patrol and now I see it every now and then at this airport that I dont usually go to. Bt I bet when it is flying folks think its a CAP plane.  ;D