Main Menu

Pre-Solo

Started by rebowman, August 31, 2009, 01:01:14 PM

flyguy06

Quote from: D2SK on September 01, 2009, 07:47:10 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 07:41:54 PM
It teaches that "almost" meeting the standard will get you some bling and some cadets just want bling so if they can get by "almost" meeting the standard they wil strive for that. In todays society we are not teaching our young people to give their best. We are telling them "well, if you try and and dont make it we will still give you bling"

Its a totally differtn feeling flying knowing there is a qialifed instructor in case something goes wrong and flying by yourself. Its a different mindset. You can "pre-solo" but psycologically you know in the back of your mind thatif something goes wrong you will be saved by the instructor. Actually soloing its all on you. Different feeling.

You know what they say about opinions...

Did you give it your best when you typed this message?  Might want to try spell check the next time you disparage every single cadet who earned a pre-solo badge.

Must have gone to a public school...

Musthave gone topublic school? WOW. That statement in itself speaks volumes about the people on this board and throughout CAP. As a matter of fact I did go to public school in the inner city of Atlanta. And your point is what?

I type fast and do not check spell check. I figured most people can get the gist of what I am saying. Some folks may call it shorthand. But thanks for pointing it out to me.

Thats ok. ya know I fight for people like you. So its ok. You have the right to say what you want and I wil defend it to the end. I have served 20 years in the U.S. Army for you to be the way you are. But I personally feel that statement aboutpublic schools is belittileing alot of people. Its wrong, ignorant, small minded and has no place in CAP.

I could tell you all my accomplishments but I wont cause it dont matter. But wow. You elitist attitude just came out so abruptly it through me for a loop. Most people keep that inside.

flyguy06

Quote from: DC on September 01, 2009, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: notaNCO forever on September 01, 2009, 07:49:12 PM
It teaches that "almost" meeting the standard will get you some bling and some cadets just want bling so if they can get by "almost" meeting the standard they wil strive for that. In todays society we are not teaching our young people to give their best. We are telling them "well, if you try and and dont make it we will still give you bling"

Its a totally differtn feeling flying knowing there is a qialifed instructor in case something goes wrong and flying by yourself. Its a different mindset. You can "pre-solo" but psycologically you know in the back of your mind thatif something goes wrong you will be saved by the instructor. Actually soloing its all on you. Different feeling.

The way I look at it is that their are two separate qualifications solo and pre-solo. The pre-solo wings are given for having the knowledge and capability to fly a plane without help but with an instructor in the plane, and solo is given for being competent enough to fly on your own. I agree that CAP might have to much bling in some areas, but I don't think this is one of them. Their is easier ways for a bling seeker to get bling if that is all they want.
What's the difference? I understand there is a psychological difference between having an instructor next to you and being alone, but as far as your skills are concerned, what's the difference?

The day I soloed my instructor and I went up together, went around the pattern a few times, did a few touch and goes, and then he got out and I soloed. My abilities as a pilot did not change when he departed the aircraft, I didn't have to do anything different when I was alone that I hadn't done 10 minutes earlier with him in the plane.

Pre-Solo is for being competent enough to solo, Solo is for actually soloing. Two cadets who have gone through NFA together and leave with either Solo or Pre-Solo wings are probably equally skilled pilots (not accounting for any previous experience), but only one got the opportunity to put it to use.

I cant explain it (I went to public school) its just a different feeling when you are by yourself than when you are with an instructor

flyguy06

I hate eleitism attitudes

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 08:20:19 PM
Ya know after my EMA thread and that elitism post I read I may just be done with CAP. Thanks guys

Given that there's a "Spell Check" button on the screen right where you write your post, it isn't elitist to ask that you use it.

And stop "threatening" to quit CAP because you don't like the comments you get in reply to yours. It's just silly.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

D2SK

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 08:20:19 PM
Ya know after my EMA thread and that elitism post I read I may just be done with CAP. Thanks guys

This clearly isn't for you.  Fill out this form and send it to your unit commander. 

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/u_090403102330.dot

Lighten up, Francis.

D2SK

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 08:16:16 PM

Did you give it your best when you typed this message?  Might want to try spell check the next time you disparage every single cadet who earned a pre-solo badge.

Musthave gone topublic school? WOW. That statement in itself speaks volumes about the people on this board and throughout CAP. As a matter of fact I did go to public school in the inner city of Atlanta. And your point is what?

I type fast and do not check spell check. I figured most people can get the gist of what I am saying. Some folks may call it shorthand. But thanks for pointing it out to me.

Thats ok. ya know I fight for people like you. So its ok. You have the right to say what you want and I wil defend it to the end. I have served 20 years in the U.S. Army for you to be the way you are. But I personally feel that statement aboutpublic schools is belittileing alot of people. Its wrong, ignorant, small minded and has no place in CAP.

I could tell you all my accomplishments but I wont cause it dont matter. But wow. You elitist attitude just came out so abruptly it through me for a loop. Most people keep that inside.

Is this attitude really consistent with the CAP core value "Excellence in all We Do"?  Do you really want to compare resumes?
Lighten up, Francis.

flyguy06

Dont want to compare anything. Much too busy

DG

Quote from: D2SK on September 01, 2009, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on September 01, 2009, 08:16:16 PM

Is this attitude really consistent with the CAP core value "Excellence in all We Do"?  Do you really want to compare resumes?

I would like you to compare resumes.

So I can know where such an effete snob comes from.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill