Main Menu

Coast Guard Aux Question

Started by Angus, July 12, 2012, 06:07:45 PM

Angus

I know that a fair number of people here on the board are also in the Coast Guard Aux.  I tried searching but couldn't find it.  On average what's the regular monthly time commitment to being a member of the CGA?  I'm talking here meetings and maybe a little extra.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RiverAux

Most Aux flotillas meet once a month for a few hours.  However, while these meetings may have a small training component, they don't represent much of your actual time spent on Aux work.  If all you're doing is going to meetings, you're not getting anything done. 

The Aux, unlike CAP, gives an individual member a substantial degree of autonomy as to how much work they put in.  If I want to do boat inspections for 2 hours a night every day, I could do so.  If I only want to do the 5 a year it takes to keep current, thats fine too. 

It all depends on what program(s) you get involved in and how much time you want to spend. If you want to get involved in boatcrew operations, it would take about the same amount of effort to become boatcrew qualified as to become a CAP GTM1.  And about the same amount to become a coxswain. 

Most other CG Aux specialties don't require nearly that amount of training.