Canine Air Patrol?

Started by Nomex Maximus, February 26, 2010, 12:37:37 AM

Nomex Maximus

A question about the flying regs: Is it OK for my dog to fly with me in a CAP plane?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Flying Pig

I know we have flown dogs to missions, but I dont know that bringing your personal dog just because, is actually specified in the regs.  I imagine it would fall under non-CAP members.  Why would you?

EMT-83

Would your veterinarian need to witness the Form 9?   :)

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 26, 2010, 12:40:01 AM
I know we have flown dogs to missions, but I dont know that bringing your personal dog just because, is actually specified in the regs.  I imagine it would fall under non-CAP members.  Why would you?

He's a nice dog, keeps me company, and he can fly straight and level as long he doesn't see any ducks.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Flying Pig

Then No.  CAP members cant take their dogs along for company.  The only time you could transport an animal is if its for the mission.  ie. transporting a search dog.

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 26, 2010, 12:56:07 AM
Then No.  CAP members cant take their dogs along for company.  The only time you could transport an animal is if its for the mission.  ie. transporting a search dog.

I guess you could consider him a luggage.  :)...nothing wrong with flying with a little luggage.

On the other hand....if you need some company....why not invite a scanner or observer with you?  They can keep you company and get a little air time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Strick

I saw a movie with Alec Baldwin  in it and he brought his dog every where.  He told people it was a service dog and detected magnets because he had an iron lung     :)  If you do take your dog flying make sure you put a crush cap on him or her with a headset.
[darn]atio memoriae

sardak

SarDragon

Quote from: sardak on February 26, 2010, 05:25:10 AM
Which one of you is PIC?

Well, depends on whether PIC means Pilot in Command, or Pooch in Command.  ;D :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PhotogPilot

Quote from: sardak on February 26, 2010, 05:25:10 AM
Which one of you is PIC?

That dog can't fly until he is in a Smurf Suit. ;D

Spike

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on February 26, 2010, 12:37:37 AM
A question about the flying regs: Is it OK for my dog to fly with me in a CAP plane?

Yes!

RiverAux

PHall

Is your dog occupying a seat that could be used by another pilot, a observer, a scanner or an aerial photographer to keep their currency up?

Al Sayre

Only if he is in uniform and has his 101 Card... ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

N Harmon

This thread is asking about regulations. So far I have not seen a single one cited.

Quote from: CAPR 60-1
2-1. Basic Rules.
a. CAP aircraft will be used only for official CAP business and not for personal use.

Unless you can show that flying your dog is official CAP business, then it is not allowed.

Folks, please remember that CAP flying assets exist not for our own recreation and pleasure, but in order to execute the missions of Civil Air Patrol.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

lordmonar

Quote from: N Harmon on March 01, 2010, 01:38:03 PM
This thread is asking about regulations. So far I have not seen a single one cited.

Quote from: CAPR 60-1
2-1. Basic Rules.
a. CAP aircraft will be used only for official CAP business and not for personal use.

Unless you can show that flying your dog is official CAP business, then it is not allowed.

Folks, please remember that CAP flying assets exist not for our own recreation and pleasure, but in order to execute the missions of Civil Air Patrol.
And that regulation still does not apply.

Assume that the flight is CAP business, assume that all training needs and all extra seats are occupied, assume that the dog does not affect weight and balance.......there is no regulation that says he can't fly with it.  Anymore then there is a regulation that says you can't fly with any sort of luggage.

So.....by the regs.....yes he can fly with the dog.

N Harmon

I interpret "only for official CAP business" to mean all aspects of the flight, including cargo, must meet a CAP business need.

Wasn't there a situation not too long ago where someone got into trouble for using a CAP vehicle to haul personal furniture even though the trip itself was CAP business?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

heliodoc

Stuff like hauling furniture and members driving CAP vehicles to personal places of employment were happening up until 1990 when I was working ramp operations at a major FBO

This "crap" isn't new AT ALL

CAP hasn't changed....merely the playas!!!

lordmonar

Quote from: N Harmon on March 01, 2010, 02:58:42 PM
I interpret "only for official CAP business" to mean all aspects of the flight, including cargo, must meet a CAP business need.

Wasn't there a situation not too long ago where someone got into trouble for using a CAP vehicle to haul personal furniture even though the trip itself was CAP business?

Again....a similar but different issue. 

Using a CAP for personall business (even if it were in conjunction with CAP business is wrong)....but if I were on a ground team mission and I checked in some non mission luggage in the back of van just to hold it while on the mission.  What is wrong with that.

If the OP were transporting the animal somewhere that would be wrong.  If he was just having him sit in the back while doing some proficiency flights.....I don't have any problem from a "personal cargo on a CAP airplane" point of view.  I would maybe raise a safety/sterile cockpit issue or a weight and balance issue or even a "let's stick another scanner in that seat" issue.

vmstan

I'm distracted enough when I have either one of my dogs in my car with me, I don't think putting them in a plane would be very helpful... as nice as they are.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4