Main Menu

Recommendations

Started by Irishrenegade, February 22, 2010, 07:58:00 PM

Irishrenegade

So as a relativly new member to CAP I have noticed that there are alot of variations on what we do out in the field in regards to SAR. I used to be in NY but now im in OK where there is a difference in land and weather issues. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone recommends as far as getting supplies (camelbak, stuff for 24/72- hour pack, headsets). So far I have a tactical pack (I think this is the proper name for it if not..my bad) that has attachments using alice clips. I'm more of a flight kinda guy though so should I get a headset or no? any other ideas?
SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

Pylon

Quote from: Irishrenegade on February 22, 2010, 07:58:00 PM
So as a relativly new member to CAP I have noticed that there are alot of variations on what we do out in the field in regards to SAR. I used to be in NY but now im in OK where there is a difference in land and weather issues. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone recommends as far as getting supplies (camelbak, stuff for 24/72- hour pack, headsets). So far I have a tactical pack (I think this is the proper name for it if not..my bad) that has attachments using alice clips. I'm more of a flight kinda guy though so should I get a headset or no? any other ideas?

Personal gear is pretty, well... personal.  It depends, as you've discovered, on the place where you are, the job(s) you'll be doing, how often you'll be doing it (OPSTEMPO), how hard you'll be on your gear when you do it, and how much you have to spend.   The best recommendations would likely come from people who have been there, done that for your particular qualifications in the area you've just moved to.

But of course there are a lot of general recommendations you can glean from members here.  There are already a good handful of threads in this Tools of the Trade section on packs and vests, headsets, recommended gear lists for scanners and observers, radios, survival or "deployment" kits,  and the like.   As for aircrew (aka: non-pilot) recommendations, see some posts here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8526.msg153334#msg153334
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Irishrenegade

Quote from: Pylon on February 22, 2010, 08:19:31 PM

Personal gear is pretty, well... personal.  It depends, as you've discovered, on the place where you are, the job(s) you'll be doing, how often you'll be doing it (OPSTEMPO), how hard you'll be on your gear when you do it, and how much you have to spend.   The best recommendations would likely come from people who have been there, done that for your particular qualifications in the area you've just moved to.

But of course there are a lot of general recommendations you can glean from members here.  There are already a good handful of threads in this Tools of the Trade section on packs and vests, headsets, recommended gear lists for scanners and observers, radios, survival or "deployment" kits,  and the like.   As for aircrew (aka: non-pilot) recommendations, see some posts here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8526.msg153334#msg153334

That was an awesome link. Thank you very much for your help Sir!! I'll continue to take a look around and see what I can find.
SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

Pingree1492

I'm more of a flight kinda guy though so should I get a headset or no? any other ideas?

Can I assume that you're asking whether to buy your own headset for flight operations?  My answer would be yes, if you become fully involved in the air side of ES, you'll eventually need one..

However, BEFORE you buy one, make sure that flying with CAP is something that you'll want and be able to do on a semi-regular basis.  If not, well, most pilots will carry an extra headset or two, but you're going to be at the mercy of those others to ensure you have a pair.  And if you can't get  borrow a pair of headsets for a mission/SAREX, you're going to be grounded.

There are a lot of good deals on eBay for used ones, and you might check with some of the pilots and other aircrew members in your squadron to see if they would want to part with theirs.  I wouldn't recommend buying new as a mission scanner/observer unless you'll be using them frequently, or you just have money to burn.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)