Uniform and Recruiting at School

Started by CAP428, November 05, 2006, 06:11:07 AM

CAP428

My squadron's honor guard is going to be posting the colors at my school's Veteran's Day assembly and I see this as an opportunity to raise awareness/interest in CAP. So....

....what are the limits on such activities?  Is CAP allowed to set up a display table of sorts at a school if they're doing an activity like this there?

I don't want to be exploiting Veteran's Day or anything or take any focus off of those who have served.  I certainly wouldn't want to do that, the Day is to honor them, I just thought maybe some students would be interested and wondered if anyone had experienced a similar situation.

AlphaSigOU

I'd check with your squadron commander first about wearing the uniform if you're not part of the honor guard. As for setting up a table at the school, I'd check with your school's principal or activities director; some schools may restrict activities by non-affiliated school clubs and organizations. Wouldn't think there would be a problem but you never know...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

capcadet101

my squadron also did honor guard at my school and everyone that came wore a uniform (commanders call on what uniform) but after words we set up a table and recruited but you have ask the principle of the school and see of he or she cares. Tell them what it is for and you should be fine.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

Eclipse

I literally just got back from attending one of the first TLC's in GLR and this was overtly discussed.

The answer - Commander's Discretion, but not a good idea.

Why?

Members are only allowed to wear their uniforms during and enroute to CAP events. 

A squadron Commander authorizing a cadet to wear his uniform to school has created an "approved" CAP event.

CAP events requires Senior member supervision.

Thus, unless a senior accompanies the cadet to the school, etc., you could be in real trouble legal and reg-wise if anything "bad" happens that day.

(Note: I am not interested in a thread that debates the state of the legal system in this country / organization, "lawyering us to death, etc. This was presented as part of the TLC curriculm, by a Group CC who has experience with these matters, in the presence of a GLR Region CP staffer who reinterated and supported this position wholeheartedly. YMMV, and your risk tolerance may be higher.)

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

As a senior member I have set up recruiting booths at schools after coordination with the principal.  Never actually done it at a school where any of our local cadets went, so never had an opportunity for this to come up. 

It seems that the logic of what Eclipse presented as being taught at their TLC, then cadets participating in the CAP School Program would only be allowed to wear their uniform during the CAP class and would have to change for their other classes otherwise they would be a "CAP activity".  Surely this has come up in that circumstance.

I've never really understood why this issue has not been addressed directly by CAP regulations. 

Eclipse

I am guessing, but I would imagine that any official connection between a school and CAP, such as a school charter, etc., changes this equation...

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP428

Well, I will be wearing the uniform because I am the connection between the squadron and the school so I have been specifically asked to introduce the honor guard.  I will check with the commander about anything further.

Thanks for the help.

Psicorp

Quote from: CAP428 on November 06, 2006, 03:10:58 PM
Well, I will be wearing the uniform because I am the connection between the squadron and the school so I have been specifically asked to introduce the honor guard.  I will check with the commander about anything further.

Thanks for the help.

Long, long ago in a Wing far, far away...if the school had a JROTC program, it was considered acceptable to wear the CAP uniform if you were engaging in some sort of CAP activity (recruiting or participating with the JROTC in some joint activity) and CAP Senior Members weren't needed (but always welcome) because there were JROTC instructors on-site.     

Getting into Middle Schools was much, much trickier.  We were lucky if the school officials would let us do so much as a drill competition on thier property.   The best we could do was utilize the existing legislation that allowed other organizations access (military recruiters, religious organizations, boy/girl scouts, etc.), then we'd set up a booth near the main entrance as school was being let out for the day. 

Your primary goals should be 1) gaining the permission of your unit commander and school officials   2) keeping them informed   3) maintaining a professional bearing so as to encourage/build relationships for future use.

Good Luck!!

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

connelly

Yeah it is allowed. You should use every chance to promote your squadron.
C/CMSGT Connelly
Topsail Composite Squadron
http://topsailcomposite.com