Main Menu

CAP Member Demographics

Started by simon, February 05, 2010, 09:54:12 PM

Cecil DP

I looked to see if it was in the Annual Report to Congress, but it's not.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

I would rather have a good count on active members versus "names on the rolls". 

flyguy06

How would you get that Spike? How would you define "active" I think every unit would have a different definition of active.

Spike

^ Squadron Commanders can do their job and get those inactive members moved to a holding unit.  Nothing worse than having a Squadron of 100 people, but only 25 actually attend a meeting. 

My rule, 4 misses and you get bumped to 000 (holding).  I like to have a listing that truly represents my unit.  Others though keep members on for money, or Squadron Awards. 

Gunner C

Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 09:33:15 PM
^ Squadron Commanders can do their job and get those inactive members moved to a holding unit.  Nothing worse than having a Squadron of 100 people, but only 25 actually attend a meeting. 

My rule, 4 misses and you get bumped to 000 (holding).  I like to have a listing that truly represents my unit.  Others though keep members on for money, or Squadron Awards.
You don't have to let them renew if it's a problem.  In my squadron I had one officer who I'd never met.  He moved to another city in the state and never did anything with the unit (I think he was the commander at one time).  I could have put him in the 000 unit, meh.  But these days, anyone who has the Spaatz Award would recognize his name. 

Looking back on it, I'd try contacting each one to see what their druthers are.  Invite them to a meeting.  Find out why they're not coming anymore - It might be something simple like a misunderstanding.  Be active in tracking these folks down. 

How many of the folks we go through every year could have their membership saved rather than having them thrown (figuratively) into the waste basket?

flyguy06

WHat if you have a member that works at night and cant attend meetings? What if you have a member that say they want to attend but never do? Or that come every blue moon?

Spike

^ I find a place in the Squadron where he can volunteer his time.  I am flexible.  I do also track down members when they skip multiple meetings in a row, and find out whats up.  Courtesy is a two way street.  If there is a conflict I have no problem working with the member directly.   

FARRIER

Quote from: Spike on February 06, 2010, 10:44:01 PM
How about "American". 

We are all "Americans".  If you are born here (or to parents of the US etc), or take the test and pass you are an "American".

Lets leave race out of CAP.

What really is the purpose to discuss race.  Inner City squadrons have more Americans of African ancestry than a Squadron in Iowa.  However, that Iowa town may be poorer and less well to do than the inner city Squadron.

Honestly when the census is completed this year, you will see that Americans of Latin American ancestry is overtaking black and white populations anyway.

So I ask......where is the Latino CAP leadership.  Where are the Mexican-American, Spanish-American and South-American CAP leaders??

Race has nothing to do in CAP.  If you were to tell me that gender had an issue, perhaps I would think about that longer than race issues.   

When it comes to hiring/HR forms and they ask your race I don't check those either, I have the same feeling that all should fall under American. But, if you plotted the location of all the units, especially cadet, how many are located in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs? How many are rural (especially 30 miles within a major metropolitan area) compared to the suburbs? Just having an idea of the demographics of your particular state and why we do/why we don't have units in those areas should be asked.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

flyguy06

Quote from: FARRIER on February 08, 2010, 01:04:47 AM
How about "American". 

We are all "Americans".  If you are born here (or to parents of the US etc), or take the test and pass you are an "American".

What really is the purpose to discuss race.  Inner City squadrons have more Americans of African ancestry than a Squadron in Iowa.  However, that Iowa town may be poorer and less well to do than the inner city Squadron.

Honestly when the census is completed this year, you will see that Americans of Latin American ancestry is overtaking black and white populations anyway.

So I ask......where is the Latino CAP leadership.  Where are the Mexican-American, Spanish-American and South-American CAP leaders??

Race has nothing to do in CAP.  If you were to tell me that gender had an issue, perhaps I would think about that longer than race issues.   

When it comes to hiring/HR forms and they ask your race I don't check those either, I have the same feeling that all should fall under American. But, if you plotted the location of all the units, especially cadet, how many are located in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs? How many are rural (especially 30 miles within a major metropolitan area) compared to the suburbs? Just having an idea of the demographics of your particular state and why we do/why we don't have units in those areas should be asked.

I agree Thats exactly why I think its important to put your race. To see if CAP is reaching all communities. I am in an inner city unit and we have bo problem putting our race. Its interesting to note those that dont vs those that do. But thats another discusssion for another time.

Race is very important to some people  Not the people it doesnt effect. But to a vast amount of people it is important.

RiverAux

While I like to work with statistics more than most, I'm not sure having the numbers would tell us anything that we don't know about the racial, gender, and age demographics in CAP. 

Major Carrales

I'm right here.  And, as I can vouch a great deal for...there are a lot of CAPTALK screen namers that can call Mexico, Spain and Latin America their point of familial origin.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Yep, I'm one of those.  I think that "ethnicity" would be more important than "race".

Spike

flyguy06

How about "American". 

Just curious Spike, why did you equate inner city squadron with being poor? I asked about African American members. i said nothing about income. The members inmy squadron come from very good homes.

And as far as your comment about where is the Latin Leadership? Thats not my point although we already had that remember?

davidsinn

See? This is why race has no place in our organization. This discussion is about to take a bad turn. Tempers will flare and it will be locked. This is the 21st frakking century people. I don't care if you are white, black, brown, yellow, red or purple with pink polka dots. I only care if you will follow the regs and contribute in a meaningful way. If you can do that then I welcome you. Otherwise go away.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

That wasnt the point of my question Davisinn. I agree I dont think we nbeed to get into one of those types of discussions here

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 08, 2010, 08:41:09 PM
That wasnt the point of my question Davisinn. I agree I dont think we nbeed to get into one of those types of discussions here

I'm not saying it was your intention but I have seen it go south time and time again and wanted to head it off at the pass.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 08, 2010, 07:44:13 PM
How about "American". 

Just curious Spike, why did you equate inner city squadron with being poor? I asked about African American members. i said nothing about income. The members in my squadron come from very good homes.

And as far as your comment about where is the Latin Leadership? That's not my point although we already had that remember?

Income is a question on the Application form for CAP.  It is also a demographic identifier and will be used on the upcoming census as well.

I am glad to see that you had nothing better than go back and pick apart the post today, when you could have done it 2 days ago when you replied.

I think you like to discuss race issues, and bring them whenever you get the chance. 

flyguy06

I work at night so I have time in the day. I do like to discuss race issues. And there is a very good reason for that. Please do not read into it an assume anything. But i will not go there in an open forum. Thanks.