Main Menu

CAP Member Demographics

Started by simon, February 05, 2010, 09:54:12 PM

simon

Are CAP member demographics published?

I was doing a little work with census data recently. Later, as I sat in our squadron meeting, looking around at the members, I wondered if we were typical of a given squadron.

I jotted down some of the characteristics that the census tracks. Averages, median values etc, for the following characteristics:

1. Age
2. Highest educational qualification achieved
3. Gender (Male/Female percentage)
4. Marital Status
5. Veterans (Percentage yes/no, which branch etc.)
6. Population

There's a whole bunch of other stuff, e.g. Race & Ethnicity, foreign born etc., but the ones of interest to me were:

1. Age. Not just the average, but the trend. Is the CAP membership ageing? Because if so, I imagine that would be something that the organization should focus on: New people coming in as others retire.

2. Population. Related to (1). Shrinking or growing?

3. Veterans. Sort of related to (1). I do wonder how common it is for ex-military to join a civilian branch after retirement.

4. Gender. Is CAP predominantly male? What is the trend?

I am wondering what the CAP membership will look like in 10 years.

FW

Good question.  I don't think we do.  Maybe with our new membeship software we will get an answer to "deomgraphics" questions.

RiverAux

1.  Available now.
2.  There is a spot for it in the database, but it doesn't look like many use it.  Also it is often outdated (for example, someone might fill in 11th grade as a cadet and 10 years later it still shows 11th grade as highest obtained even if they've graduated college -- unless they've updated it, for which there is no incentive to do.
3.  Available. 
4.  Not in database.  Don't see any need for CAP to know this. 
5.  I think it would be helpful to CAP to be able to say that X% of CAP members are veterans in terms of helping on the credibility front.
6.  Population isn't an individual characteristic, so I don't know what you're shooting for. 

Interestingly, anyone can look up the age and gender data for CG Aux at anytime through their online database.  Last I heard, their average age was about 58.  Would probably be a little lower for CAP's senior member population as I think we've got an advantage in the 18-29 age range with former cadets. 

flyguy06

No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. Ihave seenvery few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 05, 2010, 11:10:44 PM
No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. Ihave seenvery few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

Since that is an optional block on the membership applications, any demographic info derived from that source is likely to be inaccurate. Sad but true.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

simon

Riveraux, re population to clarify I meant the actual number of members, by state etc, which I am sure is available.

You made a good point about 'optional' and out of date. Statistics can be way out unless the information is entered accurately and maintained. I bet a lot of stuff is way old.

Re race, at least that doesn't change! :-) But yes, I wonder how many people actually enter it.

In any event, some of that stuff may be of novel interest but not really useful. I'd like to see, for example, what is the average age of pilots and crew on a search mission and the number of hours they have total and on mission. Are we flying around with 60 year old pilots? Does it matter? Perhaps more importantly, what is the average age of the observer and scanner and how is their eyesight? Their eyesight might be more critical than for the pilot? We don't require testing for 20/20.

Sorry if this hovers around age. I run the risk of alienating a large group of very capable members. I'm just wondering where CAP is right now on demographics and where the organization wants to be. Principally, is it aging?

I should also add that I have nothing against older pilots. Personally, I seek the crusty old gray haired guys out for my instruction. I figure it if they're still around flying they must be doing something right. Plus they have the best stories... :-)

necigrad

Thinking about my squadron here's how I'd answer your questions  Please note that this is based on observation and reflection, NOT an actual survey:

Age:  Most members 40-60.  I've venture there are more 70-80+ then 20-40.  Last I heard we had three members in their 80's.

Highest educational qualification achieved:  We have Doctorate level at the highest, and probably a huge amount of BA and BS degrees

Gender:  It seems to be a guy thing, but we do have women, guessing 50/50 on came with spouse or on their own.  They've almost all been in the squadron longer then I though, so I'm not at all certain on that.

Marital Status:  Mostly married, not many that are single, probably due to the age group.

Veterans:  Something like 80% AF, 15% other service and 5% Civilian.  Seems like everyone was AF in my squadron (I wonder why?  ;))

Population:  A month or so ago our Squadron Commander went over the NV stats.  I believe NV was 28th in membership, yet something like 40th in actual population.  EServices says (right now) 294 cadets and 518 seniors, 77 of which are in my squadron.
Daniel B. Skorynko, Capt, CAP
Nellis Senior Squadron

RiverAux

Wing membership information is available in the annual reports.

AdAstra

In 2004, Dr. Jeff Montgomery (currently National's Deputy Director for Aerospace Education) conducted just such a survey for his doctoral dissertation. Here are a few of the stats:

> Cadets
     > Male - 82.5%
     > Female - 17.5%
     > Age
          >12-13 - 11.5%
          >14-15 - 26.3%
          > 16-27 - 38.5%
          > 18-21 - 23.7%
     > Race
          > Caucasian - 88.3%
          > Hispanic - 4.1%
          > Asian - 3.7%
          > African American - 2.1%
          > Native American - 1.0%

> Adults
     > Male - 82.7%
     > Female - 17.3%
     > Age
          > 18-29 - 14.7%
          > 30-39 - 15.9%
          > 40-49 - 30.7%
          > 50-59 - 22.9%
          > 60-69 - 11.4%
          > 70-79 - 3.7%
          > 80-87 - .5%

Dr. Montgomery did ask about marital status and educational achievement. He did not ask about prior military experience. My own surveys at 10 or so Unit Commanders Courses show less that 25% have military experience, and my discussions with another national staffer show this to be in the ballpark.
Charles Wiest

helper

Quote from: SarDragon on February 05, 2010, 11:23:07 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on February 05, 2010, 11:10:44 PM
No one mentioned race in your demographics. In 25 years of membership. I have seen very few African Americans in CAP. Even at the leadership level. I would be interested in knowing the percentage in CAP.

Since that is an optional block on the membership applications, any demographic info derived from that source is likely to be inaccurate. Sad but true.

My squadron is mostly African American cadets (note: the form 15 check box is "black") and half of the Sargent's & officers. The check box may be optional but my observation is that the applicants choose to answer.

What I'm more interested in is the results; how to keep cadets interested enough that they will want to continue or return to CAP as adults.

Is there a member demographic of Seniors who are former cadets? My observation is that many on CAP Talk are former cadets but I'm not sure of the %.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

flyguy06

I am a senior member who is a former cadet.  I imagine the married couples in CAP is pretty high.

simon

Thanks for the feedback.

So the picture I am getting is that CAP demographics show:

- About half are 40-60 years old.
- 4 in 5 are male.
- 90% white for cadets (No race info for adults)

Riveraux's comment that the average age for Coast Guard Aux of 58 was an eye opener for me. Wow. No spring chickens.

I'm not sure what all this means, if anything at all. For all I know, this could be the average demographic for middle level managers in an Iowa based Fortune 500 company. My particular interest is in aircrews, the people involved in the airborne part of SAR missions. I am just guessing it would be difficult to extract that kind of information from any database unless there was a dedicated effort to record the CAP ID's of the aircrews that went on SAR missions. I'm sure it is written down at the time of the SAR (Has to be of course) but probably doesn't find its way into a database.

People have asked me - "What's a typical SAR crew on a mission?". I don't think there really is a typical crew. It is probably not an important issue as making sure everyone is qualified, which of course is already handled. Perhaps I've answered my own question...

flyguy06

Simon,
I am just curious what this research is for? Also, does anyone know how many AfricanAmerican Senior Officers are there in CAP? I know of one region CC, One Wing CC, one Region Vice CC and one former Wing CC who is still active.

I am asking because I want to do a presentation for some of my cadets.

aveighter

The whole race thing is so twentieth century. 

Having logged time in the area of Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania I am now proudly claiming the mantel of American-African.

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance in your presentation.

Spike

How about "American". 

We are all "Americans".  If you are born here (or to parents of the US etc), or take the test and pass you are an "American".

Lets leave race out of CAP.

What really is the purpose to discuss race.  Inner City squadrons have more Americans of African ancestry than a Squadron in Iowa.  However, that Iowa town may be poorer and less well to do than the inner city Squadron.

Honestly when the census is completed this year, you will see that Americans of Latin American ancestry is overtaking black and white populations anyway.

So I ask......where is the Latino CAP leadership.  Where are the Mexican-American, Spanish-American and South-American CAP leaders??

Race has nothing to do in CAP.  If you were to tell me that gender had an issue, perhaps I would think about that longer than race issues.   

Stonewall

I'm Euro-American...or am I just American?  I'm even the first American born "Stonewall" in my family.  Although my dad graduated from USNA, his birth certificate had to be officially translated from German and I'm sure they questioned the Swastika during his TS clearance paperwork.

Quote from: aveighter on February 06, 2010, 09:24:40 PM
Having logged time in the area of Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania I am now proudly claiming the mantel of American-African.

Me too...I've got more time throughout the continent of Africa than most people have in neighboring states.  Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Botswana and a few others.

Regardless of my family's background, I am an American.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Ok, ok,. I didnt mean to start one of t"thioe" conversations. I forgot the audience I am dealing with. As an African American member I am curious about these things. You probably dont understand why and thats ok. Nevermind.

flyguy06

Stonewall. thisis not a conversation abouit who is Americanand who is not. the question was about demographics. I was curious about the dempgraphics myself. I never said it was bad. I am just curious. Too you it is not significant. But too many people it is. Different folks different strokes. thats all.

Cecil DP

Since the question is asked on the CAPF(s) 12 and 15 National must be tracking that information.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RADIOMAN015

Statistical presentation of the current membership would be beneficial because it might focus us on some areas that we might need to analyze further as an organization.

Unfortunately, at this time we can't even get a monthly public posting of  total membership (by categories), so I wouldn't hold my breathe took long looking for more advanced statistics. :(

RM   

Cecil DP

I looked to see if it was in the Annual Report to Congress, but it's not.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

I would rather have a good count on active members versus "names on the rolls". 

flyguy06

How would you get that Spike? How would you define "active" I think every unit would have a different definition of active.

Spike

^ Squadron Commanders can do their job and get those inactive members moved to a holding unit.  Nothing worse than having a Squadron of 100 people, but only 25 actually attend a meeting. 

My rule, 4 misses and you get bumped to 000 (holding).  I like to have a listing that truly represents my unit.  Others though keep members on for money, or Squadron Awards. 

Gunner C

Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 09:33:15 PM
^ Squadron Commanders can do their job and get those inactive members moved to a holding unit.  Nothing worse than having a Squadron of 100 people, but only 25 actually attend a meeting. 

My rule, 4 misses and you get bumped to 000 (holding).  I like to have a listing that truly represents my unit.  Others though keep members on for money, or Squadron Awards.
You don't have to let them renew if it's a problem.  In my squadron I had one officer who I'd never met.  He moved to another city in the state and never did anything with the unit (I think he was the commander at one time).  I could have put him in the 000 unit, meh.  But these days, anyone who has the Spaatz Award would recognize his name. 

Looking back on it, I'd try contacting each one to see what their druthers are.  Invite them to a meeting.  Find out why they're not coming anymore - It might be something simple like a misunderstanding.  Be active in tracking these folks down. 

How many of the folks we go through every year could have their membership saved rather than having them thrown (figuratively) into the waste basket?

flyguy06

WHat if you have a member that works at night and cant attend meetings? What if you have a member that say they want to attend but never do? Or that come every blue moon?

Spike

^ I find a place in the Squadron where he can volunteer his time.  I am flexible.  I do also track down members when they skip multiple meetings in a row, and find out whats up.  Courtesy is a two way street.  If there is a conflict I have no problem working with the member directly.   

FARRIER

Quote from: Spike on February 06, 2010, 10:44:01 PM
How about "American". 

We are all "Americans".  If you are born here (or to parents of the US etc), or take the test and pass you are an "American".

What really is the purpose to discuss race.  Inner City squadrons have more Americans of African ancestry than a Squadron in Iowa.  However, that Iowa town may be poorer and less well to do than the inner city Squadron.

Honestly when the census is completed this year, you will see that Americans of Latin American ancestry is overtaking black and white populations anyway.

So I ask......where is the Latino CAP leadership.  Where are the Mexican-American, Spanish-American and South-American CAP leaders??

Race has nothing to do in CAP.  If you were to tell me that gender had an issue, perhaps I would think about that longer than race issues.   

When it comes to hiring/HR forms and they ask your race I don't check those either, I have the same feeling that all should fall under American. But, if you plotted the location of all the units, especially cadet, how many are located in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs? How many are rural (especially 30 miles within a major metropolitan area) compared to the suburbs? Just having an idea of the demographics of your particular state and why we do/why we don't have units in those areas should be asked.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

flyguy06

Quote from: FARRIER on February 08, 2010, 01:04:47 AM
How about "American". 

When it comes to hiring/HR forms and they ask your race I don't check those either, I have the same feeling that all should fall under American. But, if you plotted the location of all the units, especially cadet, how many are located in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs? How many are rural (especially 30 miles within a major metropolitan area) compared to the suburbs? Just having an idea of the demographics of your particular state and why we do/why we don't have units in those areas should be asked.

I agree Thats exactly why I think its important to put your race. To see if CAP is reaching all communities. I am in an inner city unit and we have bo problem putting our race. Its interesting to note those that dont vs those that do. But thats another discusssion for another time.

Race is very important to some people  Not the people it doesnt effect. But to a vast amount of people it is important.

RiverAux

While I like to work with statistics more than most, I'm not sure having the numbers would tell us anything that we don't know about the racial, gender, and age demographics in CAP. 

Major Carrales

I'm right here.  And, as I can vouch a great deal for...there are a lot of CAPTALK screen namers that can call Mexico, Spain and Latin America their point of familial origin.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Yep, I'm one of those.  I think that "ethnicity" would be more important than "race".

Spike

flyguy06

How about "American". 

Just curious Spike, why did you equate inner city squadron with being poor? I asked about African American members. i said nothing about income. The members inmy squadron come from very good homes.

And as far as your comment about where is the Latin Leadership? Thats not my point although we already had that remember?

davidsinn

See? This is why race has no place in our organization. This discussion is about to take a bad turn. Tempers will flare and it will be locked. This is the 21st frakking century people. I don't care if you are white, black, brown, yellow, red or purple with pink polka dots. I only care if you will follow the regs and contribute in a meaningful way. If you can do that then I welcome you. Otherwise go away.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

That wasnt the point of my question Davisinn. I agree I dont think we nbeed to get into one of those types of discussions here

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 08, 2010, 08:41:09 PM
That wasnt the point of my question Davisinn. I agree I dont think we nbeed to get into one of those types of discussions here

I'm not saying it was your intention but I have seen it go south time and time again and wanted to head it off at the pass.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 08, 2010, 07:44:13 PM
How about "American". 

Just curious Spike, why did you equate inner city squadron with being poor? I asked about African American members. i said nothing about income. The members in my squadron come from very good homes.

And as far as your comment about where is the Latin Leadership? That's not my point although we already had that remember?

Income is a question on the Application form for CAP.  It is also a demographic identifier and will be used on the upcoming census as well.

I am glad to see that you had nothing better than go back and pick apart the post today, when you could have done it 2 days ago when you replied.

I think you like to discuss race issues, and bring them whenever you get the chance. 

flyguy06

I work at night so I have time in the day. I do like to discuss race issues. And there is a very good reason for that. Please do not read into it an assume anything. But i will not go there in an open forum. Thanks.

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

I had a greattime at NESA at Camp Addebury. I like the terrain too. Cornfields. No need to worry about an emergency landing spot there. lol

Cecil DP

Income is a question on the Application form for CAP.  It is also a demographic identifier and will be used on the upcoming census as well.

I would think that the Census Bureau  could that  obtain from the IRS
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 08, 2010, 10:53:42 PM

Not everyone files a return or pays taxes.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Spike on February 08, 2010, 11:11:49 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on February 08, 2010, 10:53:42 PM

Not everyone files a return or pays taxes.

True, but illegal immigrants usually don't return the census forms either.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

High Speed Low Drag

I disagree about race not playing a part.  Yes, this is the 21st Century, but race is still important, particularly within the cadet ranks.

Civil Air Patrol is for all people.  There was another thread about this (I'm not going to go find it), but the vast majority of cadets appear to be Caucasian.  The demographics would be able to help tell us if we are reaching all audiences.  For example, I live in Little Rock, AR.  We run about 50-50, with a very small Hispanic and virtually non-existent Asian population.  However, when I first joined LRCS, there was only one Black cadet out of 15.  That told me we were not reaching 50% of our recruiting pool.  I also noticed that we would occasionally have Black prospects, but they wouldn't come back after the first meeting.  I ended up calling a couple back and the parents said they were not comfortable because there weren't any Black cadets or seniors in the group.

I wanted the demographics to more reflect the community.  First I recruited my wife (who is Black, I'm Caucasian) and my step-daughter.  Then, I began a focused recruiting drive in the LR Schools that resulted in a very mixed Open House.  It has been almost a year, but the results are paying off.  Now we have 10 Black cadets out of 47 cadets.  My wife, now a 2nd Lt., has told me that the parents of Black prospects almost always ask her all the time about how race is handled in the squadron, if her daughter likes the program, what she thinks of how the black cadets are treated, etc.  The issue of race relations/ratios is very important to the Black community in what seems to be an almost all White program.  My wife said the only reason she was comfortable with her daughter participating was because of me.

Unfortunately, we have had a few of the original cadets drop out because they didn’t like the changes.

I think the squadron has improved with the changes.  We have also seen an increase in the number of senior members who are of minority. I still think that it is important for CAP to look at demographics, including race, to see how effective our recruiting efforts are and where we need to improve.  After all, we are the American Civil Air Patrol.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

flyguy06

^ you put that more eliquently than i ever could. But yeah... what he said.

many cadets are recruited from homeschool programs. There are not many homeschool programsinthe inner city so we need to lok at where we are focusing our recruting efforts. I rarely see CAP recruiting in the inner city or urban areas at all.

Short Field

The only recruiting I see is done by the squadrons and that is all local.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

flyguy06

exactly. Loacl in their community. So if the majority of the members live in a certain arae of town that is where they will recruit inthat cetain area of town. if the majority of members are homeschooled. they will recruit other homeschooled cadets. If the majority of members live on the northside then thatis where they will recruit. CAP recruting is mostly word of mouth, telling your freids and people you know. So that means that areas where no current members live or have influence in will probably not get the word about CAP.

simon

My original question came into my head as I looked around in our weekly squadron meeting.

I was wondering, are the people in my squadron typical and is this the cross section of demographics that the organization is seeking?

The reason the question came into my head was because of a current pilot shortage. We have an airplane with only two current mission pilots. Some of the pilots are older and either not current, without medicals or have failed their annual Form 5. We are a senior squadron, like the demographics from this thread have indicated, a bunch of middle age white guys. Leaning to the high end of middle age, whatever that means these days.

We are not attracting enough younger pilots in our squadron. Men and women with a lot of flying years ahead of them. Now I can't speak to the average age of the pilots nationally or whether there are enough pilots for SAR generally, but it is something we are working on and keeping younger members cycling into the program is important. I do not have any experience with the cadet program. One would imagine that could be a good source of future pilots. But there are a few years to wait there.

flyguy06

Quote from: simon on February 11, 2010, 12:24:41 AM
My original question came into my head as I looked around in our weekly squadron meeting.

I was wondering, are the people in my squadron typical and is this the cross section of demographics that the organization is seeking?

The reason the question came into my head was because of a current pilot shortage. We have an airplane with only two current mission pilots. Some of the pilots are older and either not current, without medicals or have failed their annual Form 5. We are a senior squadron, like the demographics from this thread have indicated, a bunch of middle age white guys. Leaning to the high end of middle age, whatever that means these days.

We are not attracting enough younger pilots in our squadron. Men and women with a lot of flying years ahead of them. Now I can't speak to the average age of the pilots nationally or whether there are enough pilots for SAR generally, but it is something we are working on and keeping younger members cycling into the program is important. I do not have any experience with the cadet program. One would imagine that could be a good source of future pilots. But there are a few years to wait there.
We are not attracting younger pilots because most of them are trying to be airline pilots and want to use CAP to build time cheap. When they are told that they have to do a form 5, get a flight release and go through a number of other hoops. they generally don't want any part of that. They just want to fly and that's it. They don't care about SLS, CLC,specialty tracks. They just want to fly and build time.
We have to recruit, but we have to make sure they are joining for he right reasons.

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Short Field on February 09, 2010, 07:29:34 PM
The only recruiting I see is done by the squadrons and that is all local.
True, but a lot of the recruiting support is from national.  I cry out for some updated PSAs, for updated video segments.  That can play a big part in how squadrons are able to recruit.

It is basic human nature that we do not want to be alone in strange place; we want to see others like us.  For example, we made the decision that we would attend my wife's church.  Hers in one of the larger ones, over 10,000 members, in the city and it is a Black Baptist church.   The sanctuary can seat 2,000.  My wife sings in the choir, so I am sitting in the sanctuary by myself (daughter goes to a teen service in the church's youth center).  The very first time I went, I was the only Caucasian in the entire sanctuary.  Talk about nervous, uncomfortable, and generally wanting to blend into the woodwork (to make it worse my wife kept waving at me from the choir stand).  I later found out there were about 20 Caucasian members in the entire church.

Race is a hard thing to talk about; in this country it is a social taboo to discuss it unless it is within certain parameters (i.e. academic studies).  There were even members of this board that were afraid to discuss it.  I understand why; having the potential of being labeled as prejudiced is a worry because of the social stigma.  (I had a Black Female call and complain after a traffic stop saying I racially profiled her and that I was prejudiced against Black Females.  Even with my domestic situation, I felt terrible and stained just being investigated for the accusation).  But we must talk, even in this age of political correctness, because the only way to improve is to have honest discussions.  Prejudice exists within all races/ethnicities; we have to reach beyond that.

CAP needs to examine the demographics, incl race (which, in this discussion, includes ethnicity), and ask why is it that approximately 88% (based on the previously cited Dr. Montgomery's study) of our membership is Caucasian when the country is not 88% Caucasian.  (& same goes for the gender issue as well.)  We must ask the question: why are there not more _____ (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, etc) in our squadron, in our wing, in our CAP.  We cannot be ostriches with our head in the sand because we are afraid to say the R word.  Can anyone here think of a race of youth our program cannot help, inspire, teach, and mold?  It is up to us as an organization to take a hard look at what we can do to target the youth of America; to inspire the youth of America, to reach the youth of America.  And it begins with you, the CAP senior member.
G. St. Pierre                             

flyguy06

People are afraind to talk about race, because they assume they will called racists, which is NOT true. You are correct High Speed. race is the 900 pound elephant inthe room people try hard to ignore. Until we address intelligently and not argue or throw insults at each other we will continue to have this problem. And that goes for boths sides of the discussion.

But in terms of CAP. you are correct. People want to be around pthers they can relate to. its interesteing my cadets were watching the NCSA vidoes that they have onthe National website. They loved the videos. hated the music put with it. Another example, Many cadets come from an environment where people there own age dont generally tell them what to do or yell at them. So that is something they have to be eased into. Motivations for joining are also different. Many cadets join because of duty. They want to serve. Others join because their parents believe it is good for them and will keep them out of trouble. Something positive in their lives. So you have to llo at all these factors.

CAP does a lot of recruting inthe home school community. Well, there is no home school community in my neighborhood, so how do we reach out to those kids?

lordmonar

Well....except for the broad support that wing and national give us via the web sites and PSA and recruiting materials.......all recruiting should be done on the local level!

That is because it is the local level unit that will be taking these people in.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 11, 2010, 11:55:28 PM
They loved the videos. hated the music put with it.

Your Cadets must be country music fans??

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2010, 01:13:17 AM
Well....except for the broad support that wing and national give us via the web sites and PSA and recruiting materials.......all recruiting should be done on the local level!

I agree. But what if there is no unit inthatlocalarea? How do we reach them?

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 12, 2010, 02:11:57 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2010, 01:13:17 AM

I agree. But what if there is no unit inthatlocalarea? How do we reach them?

You don't. What's the point of reaching them if there is no unit to join?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

You crreate a unit, like they did in my neighborhod. if that were the case then I wouldnt be a member today. There are kids that would benefit from CAP but dont know anything about the program. Nobody ever came to my school to talk about CAP. My mom somehow found out about it and got me into it. I want to expose this great organization to kids that other wise may not have knowledge of it. i want us to be more inclusive.
There are good kids in all neighborhoods. CAP is not promoted in many of them. For example, the fly a teacher program. I went to the urban schools and they never even heard of it. why is that? because nobiody from CAP bothered to promote it there but they promoted it in other school systems. Thats what I mean about exposure.

I have two twin brothers that I mentored that are currently at the USAFA. They are both private pilots. They didnt know abotu CAP when they were in high sschool until it was too late. I dont want to loose any other young people

Spike

^ You need to get into contact with the school initiative people at NHQ.  They have done great things in Philadelphia inner city and else where. 

You are the driving force now for your part of the city.  If you want to expand into other areas, you need to get out and about, meet and greet and get others interested in starting units in their part of the city.

CAP by all intents and purposes is a "grassroots" program.  We severely lack any National recruiting program, and it us up to units to help start other units.

So.....have you been out to start any units lately??  I have!

flyguy06

^ I hear ya Spike and you are right, but I am not talking about an SEP program. I am talling about regular onece a week composite squadrons. Not just recruting cadets but recruting senior members as well. I am sure there are many adults that want to get involved in SAR in my community.

And also outside of my community. Say other city urban areas. But you are right. it is a grass roots organizationbut I am om only one person and I have to maintain my regular life as well.

Spike

^ I was only thinking that the SEP folks can give you tips on recruiting. 

flyguy06

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Spike on February 12, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
^ You need to get into contact with the school initiative people at NHQ.  They have done great things in Philadelphia inner city and else where. 

You are the driving force now for your part of the city.  If you want to expand into other areas, you need to get out and about, meet and greet and get others interested in starting units in their part of the city.

CAP by all intents and purposes is a "grassroots" program.  We severely lack any National recruiting program, and it us up to units to help start other units.

So.....have you been out to start any units lately??  I have!

Spike - I agree that helping start a unit is a great thing.  WIWAC/Maj, I helped start a squadron in the inner Kansas City area.  With the help of my cadre and the seniors, it flourished for a few years.  I don't know what happened to it after I got out, but we tried. 

And yes, we are the ones that have to get out & do the meet & greet.  It is long, it is hard, btu it msut be done.  We are gearing up this year's recruiting drive now...
G. St. Pierre                             

High Speed Low Drag

** Bump **

Did anyone take a look at the cadet demographic numbers that were released a few days ago?  I thought it was very interesting that cadets are so heavily Caucasian (78.21%) and there were more Hispanics (10.11%) than Blacks (6.51%).  I admit I was surprised that females only accounted for 19%; I thought there were more than that.

For those that haven't, here is the link:   Cadets: By the Numbers

Q:  Do we need to take into consideration these numbers?
G. St. Pierre                             

davidsinn

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on April 15, 2010, 11:41:49 PM
** Bump **

Did anyone take a look at the cadet demographic numbers that were released a few days ago?  I thought it was very interesting that cadets are so heavily Caucasian (78.21%) and there were more Hispanics (10.11%) than Blacks (6.51%).  I admit I was surprised that females only accounted for 19%; I thought there were more than that.

My cadets are 100% female. Yes I buy Excedrin by the gross why do you ask? >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

I don't know what we need to take into consideration.

A lot depends on how you conduct your recruiting.

In my squadron we do 90% word of mouth...that is cadets bring in their friends and class mates so you would expect the racial numbers to match the "racial profile" of my cadet's friend base.

If you are suggesting that we some how go out and have to force our numbers to meet community racial numbers......NOT NO.....BUT HELL NO!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FARRIER

** Bump **

Yes, we do. Do these numbers reflect aggressive recruiting but the lack of interest? Or, do these numbers reflect the lack of aggressive recuiting? Or is it something inbetween?
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Cecil DP

I've always believed that a leading factor in declining or stagnant numbers is the cost of the program, especially for cadets and inner city units.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

High Speed Low Drag

Is there anyone from large metro areas w/ multiple squadrons on the board?  If so, how do you handle the cost for new cadets whose families are scrapping by?
G. St. Pierre                             

Major Lord

Quote from: davidsinn on April 16, 2010, 12:21:26 AM
** Bump **

Cadets by the numbers

CAP                                                               General Population
white                    78.21%                                                            75.0
Hispanic                10.11                                                               15.4
Black                      6.51                                                                12.4
Asian                      3.09                                                                4.4

It looks to me that the distribution suggests the largest disparity is in the Black cadet population, the other ethnicities being well within the margin of error.  I can't find current numbers, but I believe that we are significantly more diverse than the Air Force.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

High Speed Low Drag

Of course, with the Census this year we will get more accurate data, but based on the U.S. Census estimates from July, 2008 (latest available), the break down is like this:

General Population             USAF                                               CAP                     
White:  65.6%                  White:  73.3%                           White:  78.2%
Black: 12.2%                    Black: 14.6%                             Black: 6.5%
Asian:  4.3%                    Asian: 2.6%                              Asian: 3.0%
Hispanic 15.4%                 Hispanic 10.7%  (Approximate)     Hispanic 10.1%

Gen Pop Source:
Annual Estimates of the Resident Population by Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2008  Column: July, 2008
USAF Source: 
Air Force Personnel Statistics
CAP Source:  Cadets: By the Numbers

So, based on that, it looks like Hispanic cadets 2:3 of Hispanic general population and Black cadets are 1:2 of Black general population and the Asian cadets are almost 1:1 of Asian general population.  (Remembering of course that Hispanics are technically an ethnicity, not a race and are categorized under race by skin tone)

In my opinion (and mine only), this data tells us that CAP needs to actively target Black & Hispanic audiences.  Which (in conjunction with another thread) means that we need to develop some PSAs and recruiting material specifically targeted towards those groups.

What do you guys think would be the best way to target these audiences and what do you think are the biggest reason we do not have a strong showing by these groups / how do we overcome that?
G. St. Pierre