2010 "State of the Council Address"

Started by NIN, January 29, 2010, 05:19:41 PM

Cecil DP

I would think if Cadet King were interested in communicating with CAP members in general and Cadets in particular, he would have had his speech posted on the CAP Channel, not on his facebook page.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

arajca

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 31, 2010, 08:18:51 PM
I would think if Cadet King were interested in communicating with CAP members in general and Cadets in particular, he would have had his speech posted on the CAP Channel, not on his facebook page.
Probably due to a lack of knowledge or contacts on how to do that. Or, he felt the Public Relations/Marketing folks would laugh him out of office.

Eclipse

Quote from: Nathan on January 31, 2010, 07:56:24 PM
7) He believes a comparison can be drawn between Congress and the CAC.

The most apt comparison is that the members of both bodies believe that the bodies themselves are an end, instead of a means.  Since the
video was made a available only to a select audience, I cannot view it, however if Nathan's summary is accurate, the above should be obvious.

There's nothing there that would light the fire of local CAC's.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheMuscle1007

I normally don't check captalk often but I heard through the grapevine about C/Lt Col King's address and I had to check it out. Truthfully, set aside from some of the little corny applause and the camera cuts, I think he did an outstanding job (I dont think they have a huge budget or any at all to accomplish this address so I wasn't expecting greatness). I cant think of any other CAC Leader who has done this in the past. When you think about it, what makes his address any different from any other leader, officer, or commander's Address that are posted throughout the year? I think it takes initiative to post a video speaking directly to cadets and telling them what is going on at the top. I understand some of you think it is cheesy but most of you are Cadet Officers who have been in this organization for numerous years. How about the 12 year old Airman who stumbles across this. The C/Amn relates this to the Presidents Address and he is proud to see that CAC is functioning much like the Democracy in which every cadet has the ability to voice his or her own opinions.

On another note, I did check out his, along with the NCAC, facebook. I think its a great way to network with cadets. Facebook is a growing "Global Community". Everyone is on facebook, from C/Amn to C/Col, along with Senior Members, active duty military, and all of CAP Civilian Affiliates. Even government officials such as Congressman and Senators have facebooks. Admiral Mullen, who has his own page, even spoke out about the value of Social Networking and how it should be embraced as a vital tool in today's society. Its expanding the CAC Mission/Vision to the Nation.

In regards to his facebook. You say that he promotes himself? Sure! Who doesn't! Everyone wants to post the great things that they are a part of or contributing to. This builds a good image for him and the NCAC. Would you rather him post his personal issues, or that he's helping collect clothing for Haiti and working countless hours to contribute to CAP, AFROTC, and his local community. I for one am glad to know he hasn't fallen to the mindless stuff that we have all fallen to on facebook. He uses it to inspire and promote hard work and efficiency. He is merely being accountable and showing us that he along with the NCAC are being proactive during this term.

Whether or not you watched it or not your missing the big issues. Why not take advantage of his initiative to help better the Cadet Program. I stumbled across a great quote the other day that I thought I would never use. Turns out here's a perfect scenario.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt.

Why cant we look past the corny effects/sounds and stop assuming he has personal motives. Lets focus on what can be approved in the Cadet Program and in CAP as a whole.

Personally, I am excited that cadets are talking about the NCAC initiative. I am hoping for good things to happen this term. Hopefully all of you will see where I am coming from.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheMuscle1007 on January 31, 2010, 09:02:44 PMEveryone is on facebook, from C/Amn to C/Col, along with Senior Members, active duty military, and all of CAP Civilian Affiliates.

No, they aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

FARRIER

"In regards to his facebook. You say that he promotes himself? Sure! Who doesn't! Everyone wants to post the great things that they are a part of or contributing to. This builds a good image for him and the NCAC."

What is the purpose of the page? To further promote yourself (for things outside of CAP) and what you do or the NCAC and what they are accomplishing? There is a difference between arrogance and pride. Arrogance in look at me is a turn off. Pride in what the NCAC accomplishes is a positive image. The page should have been about the NCAC.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

raivo

Agreed. An "NCAC" page (similar to how other organizations have a Facebook page for the organization itself) would have been much more appropriate.

The current page is less about the NCAC, and more about C/King as head of the NCAC.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

B.Kahuna

Quote from: raivo on February 01, 2010, 12:00:41 AM
Agreed. An "NCAC" page (similar to how other organizations have a Facebook page for the organization itself) would have been much more appropriate.

The current page is less about the NCAC, and more about C/King as head of the NCAC.

That's another irritating thing about this...there already is a page for NCAC on Facebook.

TheMuscle1007

In regards to Eclipse. You are right. "Everyone" is not on facebook, but like I said its a "Growing Community" and a large portion of CAP is on Facebook. Whether or not they can reach everyone is not relavent. It is nearly impossible to reach everyone unless this was a perfect world. Facebook does allow the NCAC to reach a much larger audience then it ever has in the past. Not just the top cadets but the lower ranking cadets too. If a group of well informed cadets know what the NCAC is doing then they can spread the word in their home squadrons. Its a great way to indirectly reach cadets. Meanwhile the CAC Echelon Structure is still active and working. Its not like facebook is taking over as the primary communication source of the NCAC. Facebook is only adding another channel of approach.

Farrier and raivo- I believe you have some of your facts mixed up. There are two seperate pages: one for Chairman Zachary King and another for the NCAC as a whole. The links are provided below. I do not see how his facebook page is any different from any other CAP Member's Social Networking Site. We are all proud of our titles and accomplishments. He is putting a good name to NCAC by showing how he is working hard to improve the cadet program.

When all is said and done though you are still missing the big issue. You are attacking the person instead of actually looking at the message.   

http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=1be4e0bda1579c60f8ed7017f4ad93ff&next=photos.php&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/Chairman-Zachary-Z-King/167794755058?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=1be4e0bda1579c60f8ed7017f4ad93ff&next=photos.php&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/Washington-DC/The-Civil-Air-Patrol-National-Cadet-Advisory-Council/159922788540?ref=ts

Gunner C

Wow!  And he's not embarrassed about this?

swiper

Quote from: Gunner C on February 01, 2010, 12:51:29 AM
Wow!  And he's not embarrassed about this?

No offense or anything...... but why should he be? I don't think he would have posted it if he was embarassed about it. Would you put up a video intended to reach out to the nation if you didn't feel confident with the material you were presenting? Or with how you presented it? He's got to be... 19-20 years old? For someone who isn't the president, that was pretty good in my book.

It's almost a natural reaction for me to try to find the positives in something such as this, because what good will it do to point out all the things that I thought he "could have done better with"?

No one can honestly say that they know if he was doing it for ego, or to get his own name out there. If you believe that, then fine, I respect you opinion. But all I know is that the whole video wasn't an "into on the chairman" or some fake interview or something made so he could talk about himself.

I don't care what he may have said about himself in the beginning, one thing is for sure...It was an address TO the cadets FOR the cadets.. (and besides, I think that's what an intro is supposed to be, especially if he was trying to speak to people such as new cadets who have never heard or seen him before)

For me, what it comes down to is what I took away from it, which is that there is someone out there trying to make a better cadet program for me and the cadets who follow after me.

Like I said before, for someone who isn't. the. president. he did alright.

raivo

Quote from: TheMuscle1007 on February 01, 2010, 12:46:23 AMI do not see how his facebook page is any different from any other CAP Member's Social Networking Site.

Facebook has two main "types" of profiles. There are the "personal" profiles (which I have), and the "official" profiles which are usually used by companies, organizations, public figures, and the like. I just find it amusing that C/King apparently found it appropriate to set himself up an "official" profile (and tag it as "Government Official") which are usually used by folks like President Obama, Admiral Mullen, or who-have-you. Heck, the Air Force Chief of Staff doesn't even have an official Facebook profile.

The focus of CAC is supposed to be about serving the cadet body. From what I've seen of the chairman, he seems excessively concerned with self-promotion. And if that's really the case, I have to question whether he is really the right man for the job.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

swiper

Im not as concerned with whether or not he is or is not "the man for the job" as I am with the fact that you would judge him off of "what you have seen". I just hope that you have at least met with him or seen him in person before you make that kind of statement. I've met him 3-4 times at cadet competitions, national activities, and Wreaths Across America in DC this year..... He's nothing like what most of these negative posts reflect.

From what I know about CAC, he was elected into the position by people who were elected into their position, by people who were elected into that position, by people who were elected to that position, by people who were appointed to their position..... So no one can help the fact that the NCAC representatives clearly felt he was.... dare I say it? .... "the man for the job".

Eclipse

Quote from: TheMuscle1007 on February 01, 2010, 12:46:23 AMFacebook is only adding another channel of approach.

Yes, and anyone who really knows anything about marketing will tell you that when you improperly segment your message, you do so at the risk of the message.

The mere fact that we are having this discussion about someone who isn't here to defend or explain themselves shows the risk of "social" media.  I'm sure similar conversations are being had all over the place.

Considering that the CAC is a cadet body, nothing should ever be released or executed without the review and approval of senior members.  Further, anything considered as "official" for CAP should only be posted on official CAP sources, which conversely means nothing not on a CAP website should ever be construed as "official".

Frankly the situation basically defines the problem he is seeking to fix, that the CAC is expressly broken, and operates today on vague, squishy, mantras and mission statements without  clearly stated, achievable, goals at any level.

They exist to exist.  Period.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: swiper on February 01, 2010, 02:07:49 AM
Im not as concerned with whether or not he is or is not "the man for the job" as I am with the fact that you would judge him off of "what you have seen". I just hope that you have at least met with him or seen him in person before you make that kind of statement. I've met him 3-4 times at cadet competitions, national activities, and Wreaths Across America in DC this year..... He's nothing like what most of these negative posts reflect.

I'm sure he's a very articulate, capable young man with a bright future.

What has he actually done, and what has he indicated he intends to do?

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

On a side note why exactly does he have a white shirt and black tie with the service coat?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

Quote from: maverik on February 01, 2010, 02:18:09 AM
On a side note why exactly does he have a white shirt and black tie with the service coat?

Bad lighting. 

Its been one of the marks against the CSU, because it can be hard to distinguish between light blue and white in bad lighting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

^ If you are color blind, or a mile away.  In person, most everyone is able to distinguish between white and blue.  Throw in the CAP Cutouts, the silver sleeve braid and the general "heaviness" of the wearer of the CSU, it is actually very distinguishable. 

TheMuscle1007

When you create a facebook page there are actually three options, one for a "Local" Person, one for a "Brand, Product, and Organization" (like the NCAC), and one for a "Artist, Band, or Public Figure". If you read his credentials you can see that he is involved with numerous organizations outside of CAP and he is Chairman for several. So Public Figure would best suit his criteria. Once this has been established their is an option to choose which "Public Figure" description best suits you. Actor, Athlete, Band, Comedian, Critic, Government Official, Model, Musician, Politician, Sports Team, Visual Artist, or Writer. A government official is an official who is involved in public administration or government, through either election, appointment, selection, or employment. I think C/Lt Col King more than fits this definition in more than one of his current positions held.

Truthfully, if the council isn't complaining about his actions and has actually promoted his actions, then I do not think there is an issue. Like I said instead of questioning or attacking his motives why not harness his eagerness to succeed. If he looks good then the council looks good, if the council looks good then CAP looks good.

Social Networking sites are merely a backup to the already established communication process inside of the CAC Structure. Not to replace it. I think the problem lies somewhere in the middle or the lower CAC Structure, not at the NCAC level. From what I can see, the NCAC and C/Lt Col King himself have been working diligently to close this gap. Also, I have heard that the Senior Advisor of the NCAC is well aware of the Facebook activity. If anyone would have a problem with it, he would be the first one to speak up.

B.Kahuna

Honestly, there's no need for him to have his own fan page on facebook. Every video he has made can be posted on the NCAC facebook profile. I don't know about other facebook users, but unless the person is a celebrity, etc, fan pages for individuals usually are seen as jokes.