first O-flight

Started by hellfire40, January 27, 2010, 02:20:55 PM

hellfire40

I may be having my first O-Flight tomorrow, does anyone have any advice for me?

davidsinn

Quote from: hellfire40 on January 27, 2010, 02:20:55 PM
Do not eat a heavy meal before hand.
Eat a light snack so you have something in your stomach.
Take a camera.
Take a gallon ziplock baggie with a cup of kitty litter or oil dry in it in case you have to puke.
Study AE module 2 so you have an idea of what is going on and why.
Remember to use the can before you get to the plane.
Dress for the weather.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

capchiro

Be in uniform, make sure you have your CAP ID card, and take sunglasses with you.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Fuzzy

QuoteTake a gallon ziplock baggie with a cup of kitty litter or oil dry in it in case you have to puke.

Just crush up and hide an empty ziplock baggie in your pocket if your really worried about it. No need to be the guy holding kitty litter in front of all your friends.

You'll have fun and won't need it anyway.
C/Capt Semko

Gunner C

Quote from: davidsinn on January 27, 2010, 02:27:35 PM
Take a gallon ziplock baggie with a cup of kitty litter or oil dry in it in case you have to puke.
Better yet, take a trash bag.  Put it in your pocket.  It won't fill up and it's easier to hit.

davidsinn

Quote from: Gunner C on January 27, 2010, 05:58:41 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on January 27, 2010, 02:27:35 PM

Better yet, take a trash bag.  Put it in your pocket.  It won't fill up and it's easier to hit.

If you can puke a full gallon, I'm impressed.
:clap: The reason I suggested litter or oil dry was to soak a bit of it up and maybe help keep the smell down. If you only put a cup of the stuff in there it should fit in your thigh pocket with no problem.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

I wouldn't be very worried about being airsick, most people don't. On the odd chance it happens, no big deal. If you start to get queasy, make sure to let the pilot know.

Go on-line and download Pamphlet 52-7 and review Syllabus 6 for powered flights. That should be the material covered during your flight. You'll even be able to impress the pilot with a few intelligent questions.

Above all, have fun. Just think about what boring things your non-CAP friends are doing while you're out flying.

twofivexray

Aerobatic maneuvers are not authorized for O flights. Unless its really windy there is no need for a sick sack.

Write back and tell us how it went.
Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Gunner C

Some cadets don't do well, especially in the back seat.  I've never blown chunks, but I always carry something just in case.  (This includes nearly aerobatic maneuvers in an MC-130 while in a dark cargo hold.)

flyguy06

Congradlations. I hope you have a blast. I hope it inspires you to take up flying youself. Have fun with it ans learn something.

Flying Pig

^Better yet, inspires mom and dad to pay for it!!! >:D

SarDragon

A paper towel in the quart bag also works well, and is a little easier to store in your pocket.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

hellfire40

thanks guys for all the advice but the flight was canceled due to bad weather so ill update any news if its rescheduled

Strick

Safety 8)        Hope you get to go up soon 8)
[darn]atio memoriae

hellfire40

i just hope that i can fly sometime before i have to go to encampment this summer

MIKE

Does NJWG usually do military O-flights at encampment?
Mike Johnston

hellfire40

Quote from: MIKE on February 04, 2010, 03:55:58 PM
Does NJWG usually do military O-flights at encampment?

i'm not too sure if NJWG  does military O-Flights at encampment

SarDragon

I think it's an on-again, off-again feature. WIWINJWG, back when the battle overseas was in Viet Nam, they managed to get at least a C-130 ride during encampment for the cadets. I heard from some recent NJWG folks that the rides still occur, subject to a/c availability.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

hellfire40

i really hope that they still do military O-flights

Stonewall

The cadet asking the question probably never thought about puking until people started replying with methods on how to collect your puke when you get airsick on O-Flights.

It's like this. 

In 1993 we had an encampment and didn't have a "sick call" for cadets to show up to if they felt sick.  Other than a minor injury or two from volleyball or PT, no one went to sick call.

In 1994 the encampment had a physicians assistant (PA) in attendance who opened up a bay of the barracks for "sick call".  Every bunk was filled.

"If you have a sick call, cadets will be sick." - 1st Lt Stonewall, -1994 DCWG Encampment
Serving since 1987.

hellfire40

so they do sick calls now?

Flying Pig

"If you have a sick call, cadets will be sick." - 1st Lt Stonewall, -1994 DCWG Encampment

Boy.....aint that the truth...

hellfire40

wow that shows how unexperienced i am lol