No promotion after 18 months as a senior?

Started by simon, January 26, 2010, 07:08:48 PM

simon

I am wondering how the promotion system works.

I have been a CAP senior member now for 18 months and thought that the pilot qualifications I have achieved on in my own time qualify me for 1st Lieutenant under CAP 35-5, Section D, "Mission Related Skills".

As far as flying experience, I obtained my private pilot's certificate in taildraggers the year prior to joining CAP. Since then, I have added an instrument rating, a commercial certificate, have 400 hours total time in 14 different makes and models - every thing I can get my hands on - from a Waco to a Turbo Mooney.

As far as CAP training, I have done my Level I, obtained my scanner rating, then observer rating, just completed my Form 5 checkout in the 182 and have started on the Mission Pilot training. I attend the safety meetings each month and I am current as flight crew.

I get on well with everyone in the Squadron. My commander is a nice fellow. But I am still a Senior Member. Have I just been 'passed over'? Or do I actually need to initiate the process by submitting the CAPF2 to my commander?

I would have thought the duty time alone qualified me for 2nd Lieutenant. Maybe I am not "performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion" (Section 2-1 (a)(4)).

I see also under "Mission Related Skills", 4-2 (c) talks about "members are encouraged to enter an appropriate functional specialty track". I have not followed up on this. Maybe that's it? Because 4-3 says that Instrument/Commercial qualifies for 1st Lieutenant.

arajca

You need to initiate the process. Schedule a discussion with your commander to address this. Bring a pre-filled form 2 and supporting documentation.

It sounds like you should qualify for 1st Lt under mission skills.

If you want to promote further, you will need to get involved in a specialty track. Again, meet with your commander and discuss what your interests are and what the squadron needs. You should be able t do this at the same meeting as the promotion discussion.

simon

Thank you Andrew.

Do I qualify for 1st Lieutenant without a specialty track? There is a place to enter it at the top of the Form 2 under "Current Duty Assignment".

Eclipse

After 6 months you should have been promoted to 2d Lt., but beyond that its questionable.

When you say you "just completed" your form 5, how "just" - I don't promote pilots based on pilot qualifications unless they are flying for
CAP first.  And without a specialty track and some staff work, you would not yet be eligible for 1st Lt.

If you were doing scanner and observer training, what was the delay in the 5?

Do you have a PDO in your unit?  Someone should be paying attention to this stuff and come to you with the issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: simon on January 26, 2010, 07:50:38 PM
Do I qualify for 1st Lieutenant without a specialty track? There is a place to enter it at the top of the Form 2 under "Current Duty Assignment".

Not without a mission skills promotion.

"That Others May Zoom"

simon

1. The Form 5 was two weeks ago. So no, I have not flown anybody yet. Fair enough.

2. Now that I look back a year, I realize that I did actually choose a specialty track, but I have not taken it up. So no real achievement there.

3. The delay in the F5 was just life getting in the way. Our 206 was down a lot last year with CA budget cuts and mechanical issues. Then there were only two people in the Squadron current to do training and it was difficult to find a time where we could both get together. Then the 206 was swapped out and we got a 182 in its place. Just stuff like that.

I will be quite honest with you that someone from our unit did come to me a year ago to discuss personal development but at that time I was focused more on progressing with my FAA ratings outside CAP. I made progress on my ratings but I can see what you are saying, in that I need to get involved with the specialty track properly and actually exercise my Mission Skills rather than just having the boxes checked off. I am hoping to be able to do that now that I have the Form 5 completed.

I will be working towards my Mission Pilot rating in February. Once I have that, hopefully I can really be a good resource for the unit.

Awards to me are not the be all and end all. I just thought I would ask.

RiverAux

Although CAP does have a system in place to help folks along, it is ultimately up to you to make sure your CAP career is on track and moving forward.  Sounds like you've been a productive member of the squadron and you really should have been promoted to 2nd Lt. and if the unit was on the ball that would have happened, but you need to keep track of these dates yourself so that you don't fall through the cracks.

simon

I am reading about the Specialty Track stuff now.

Think I will work on that first. I have some ideas on Flight Operations in our unit that I think will improve the way we co-ordinate aircrews.

I will also schedule some proficiency time with another CAP pilot so that I go from just a green Form 5 Transport Pilot to someone who is very familiar with our aircraft. The first time I ever got in it was my check ride, just after I got out of a Citabria!

Eclipse

All fair enough, we all only have so many hours and have to make choices.  CAP also has enough bureaucratic and artificial gateways
that its easy to find reasons not to get something done if no one is pushing you.

Quote from: simon on January 26, 2010, 08:35:08 PM
Think I will work on that first. I have some ideas on Flight Operations in our unit that I think will improve the way we co-ordinate aircrews.

Its time to have a good discussion with your unit CC, Deputy, or PDO to find your place in the squadron so you can get involved in the running of the unit and suggest new things.  Bear in mind reasonable people will want to see a little performance before they start
giving you the keys for things.

"That Others May Zoom"

billford1

I waited to be promoted also. I wasn't aware of the need to initiate the process. I finally made 2Lt and that was a start. If you just do the Level 1 stuff and get 2Lt just follow the promotion guidelines and things will go fine. Remember to select a Specialty Trac.

Camas

It sounds like you have a personnel officer whose asleep at the switch. I won't argue whether or not he, she or you should initiate the CAPF2 but certainly he or she should be monitoring members who are eligible for promotion for one reason or another. The professional development officer or PDO is the one who should be monitoring the training such as specialty tracks and completion of Level One requirements among other training opportunities. Training requirements under emergency services or flying are monitored by your operations or ES officer. In short there are several members of your unit who should be there to assist you in your goals within CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: billford1 on January 29, 2010, 01:01:11 AM
I waited to be promoted also. I wasn't aware of the need to initiate the process.

Members should not have to initiate their own promotions - remind the CC, maybe, but not be the initiator.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

The Personnel Officer should be reviewing the MML and STR monthly to see who has the time in grade and the training requirements to be promoted and advising the Commander of that fact.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2010, 01:40:25 AM
Quote from: billford1 on January 29, 2010, 01:01:11 AM
I waited to be promoted also. I wasn't aware of the need to initiate the process.

Members should not have to initiate their own promotions - remind the CC, maybe, but not be the initiator.
What's the difference? :o
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

The initiator of a promotion or a decoration should not be "self".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2010, 02:01:06 AM
The initiator of a promotion or a decoration should not be "self".
Filling out the paper work and giving it to your commander is different then say "hey boss I need to get promoted" in what way?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JoeTomasone

After more than a decade in CAP and having served in two Wings, I can definitely attest to the fact that the person most responsible for making sure that you are advancing and getting what you desire and deserve is YOU.

I don't care how good of a PDO and PO you have; if anyone ever came up to me and said, "Hey, did you know that you only need _____ to get promoted" or "I noticed you are eligible for another clasp on your Red Service Ribbon -- want me to put you in for it?" I might fall over dead.

Each time I was eligible for promotion or an award, I made the proper people aware and did whatever was asked to assist in getting it done.   For my latest promotion, I filled out both the CAPF24 and CAPF2 (as much as I could) and sent it along to the PDO and PO, who promptly got them processed.   There should be zero problem/stigma/downside associated with letting the right people know that you would like to get what you've worked for.   

Oh - and keep copies of EVERYTHING related to your professional development, awards, and achievements.  Paperwork still can get lost, and one day you might need to show documentation to back something up.

As in the RM, there's what should happen, and what does happen.   Nature of the beast.

EMT-83

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 29, 2010, 06:48:39 AMI don't care how good of a PDO and PO you have; if anyone ever came up to me and said, "Hey, did you know that you only need _____ to get promoted" or "I noticed you are eligible for another clasp on your Red Service Ribbon -- want me to put you in for it?" I might fall over dead.
And that's a shame. Not to hijack the thread, but is that common? I know that I'm always checking records for such items. I've got an assistant PO and PDO in training, so now it's their job.

It's actually pretty cool to inform a member that they're eligible for an award or promotion that they had lost track of.

simon

Thanks to everyone for the reality check on how CAP works. This is all great feedback.

In my view, there is a disconnect between how I saw myself contributing to CAP and how the organization envisages people progressing. But I do not see those differences being a problem.

Confession: I just want to (a) Fly, (b) Be a better pilot, (c) Learn from others, (d) Give my time to search and rescue, (e) All of the above. Answer is (e). I made that clear from the start to the commander and the personnel officer. There was a pensive response. I knew from the outset that just 'flying' was not the mission of CAP. There is a sensitive issue in CAP where some pilots join perhaps to get some cheap flying. I can see that. That is not me. On any given week, I'll rent anything from a Bonanza to a ragwing, depending on what I feel like flying. To me, there is no such thing as a bad plane. They are all just different. Last night I was taking a lesson in a G1000 aircraft. But the common denominator was that in my own flying, it was all about doing stuff for me. The kind of flying that attracted me to the Civil Air Patrol was putting my skills to use for someone else. I just didn't appreciate the ancillary activities that I would have to take part in.

In the last day or so, I read through the specialty track stuff and frankly, time is the issue. Perhaps I will be relegated to remaining a senior member but earning all the instrument, night, mountain and mission pilot flight privileges. I can live with that. I am finding it a challenge in itself to do my own training and find another member who can find the time to train and check out me. So far I have just gone out and paid for it privately in non CAP aircraft. Hence the hamstring of CAP. We have I think 30 members in our Squadron and only 2 people qualified to fly the plane!

Paperwork, time. Such is the Achilles heel of a voluntary organization.

heliodoc

simon

Congrats to wanting to fly for CAP...stay away from or least shy away from those folks in the good ol boys club...there is definitely some of that

Ensure you get a GOOOOOD qualified G1000 instructor and one that will mentor you.  I yet to find one SERIOUS enough in the current Wing I reside in after gaining 25 hours in another State...apparently G1000 "standardization" from Wing to Wing IS NOT the norm

Stay on top of your training ...do not back down!!