Are you ready for Ground Team fitness standards?

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2009, 02:13:00 PM

Are you likely to be able to meet a fitness standard adopted for ground team participation?

Confident that I would meet the standard with my current level of fitness.
34 (53.1%)
I probably don't meet it right now, but with a little work it shouldn't be a problem.
11 (17.2%)
Certain that I wouldn't meet the standard, but would put in the effort to reach it.
4 (6.3%)
Certain I wouldn't meet the standard and would probably stop participating in ground teams if one were adopted.
10 (15.6%)
Not a ground team member and don't intend to become one.
4 (6.3%)
Certain I could meet the standards, but would stop participating if they were adopted.
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

RiverAux

Since SARDAK has recently revived the issue of national SAR standards, I thought it might be timely to remind folks that when those are adopted they are most likely going to require that CAP adopt some sort of fitness standards for its ground teams.  There are a couple of threads about that issue that you may want to search for. 

However, even though we don't have any idea what such a standard may be, I think we can assume that it will be somewhat reasonable and won't require CAP GT members to do anything too crazy.  (My best guess is that it will be some sort of minimum time to hike a certain distance while carrying some amount of weight). 

So, I wonder how many of our current ground pounders are likely to meet a reasonable fitness standard.  Obviously, this would be speculation since we don't know the standard, but most people have a good idea of their level of fitness, so give it your best guess.

NCRblues

I voted confident that I could with my level but I think another one needs to be added. "Can but wont if fitness levels mandated"
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

BillB

A PT standard won't answer the problems of CAP GT. Many ground teams carry little extra equipment in many areas of the country. Why carry a 72 hour pack when the area searched has paved roads every few miles and a base that is 10 miles or so away from a search area. There would have to be different standards depending on the geography of the SAR area. Much of the country is flat and no need to have a PT program that requires the ability to be able to climb mountains. How can you say walk X miles if part of those miles are swamp land? Or, if the SAR effort is in an urban area does a PT standard hat requires chin-ups or push ups meet a physical need for SAR?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Quote from: NCRblues on November 15, 2009, 02:22:28 PM
I voted confident that I could with my level but I think another one needs to be added. "Can but wont if fitness levels mandated"
Done though that option makes no sense to me. 

Bill, we've got other threads discussing what a standard should be...

NCRblues

now i want to change my vote  :'(
This is the way I view it, I'm about to get off active duty, I have done my fair share of pt test and maintained the standards I was told to, but now I want to relax. Don't really want someone else telling me run/pushup/sit-up to play ball. Just my personnel view point.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Pumbaa

I would think as long as you can walk without having a heart attack, that should be good enough....

Really, in terms of a GT search how much fitness, other than basic would you really need? GT's will not be running through the woods, they wont be hauling 100lbs back packs, they won't be going 50 miles into the bush for a month at a time.

Lets be realistic.  GT is not an aerobic sport.

Basic health, minimal fitness (ie beyond couch potato) is all that is required.

RiverAux

If you want to debate whether or not there should be standards or what they should be, go here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1388.0

The assumption of this thread is that there WILL be a standard.

arajca

Until we know what the standard is, how do we know whether we can meet it?

Walk 1.5 miles carrying a 25 lb pack in 45 minutes on level ground is vastly different from travel 3 miles carrying a 50lb pack in one hour which also differs from a standard with calesethics.

One I can meet, one I can't. So, how do I vote?

RiverAux

As I said use your best judgement as to the current fitness.

Flying Pig

When I was on SWAT, for a while, everyone on the team just stayed in top shape on their own.  We got a new commander who mandated a quarterly PT test.  The association said, OK, if your going to make PT a requirement, the department is going to pay for our gym memberships.  So they did.  I got the top package at the local gym and was paid up to 4 hrs OT per week to sign in at the gym and work out.    :clap:

Not that we have that ability in CAP...but still a nice story.

GroundPounder73

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2009, 02:57:42 PM
If you want to debate whether or not there should be standards or what they should be, go here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1388.0

The assumption of this thread is that there WILL be a standard.

Theres that naughty word "assumption." Why not chose to assume that there will be NO standard. Ive got GT SAR experience in harsh conditions and am not in perfect condition and have never had an MI while tracking. This seems to fall into the "lets do as many things as we can to alienate members and potential members" file. Also arent there GT members who dont hump through the rough stuff? Going to make someone in commo who is great with what he does lose 60 pounds so he fits in his chair better? Come on guys. I know Im a newb here and not in CAP yet, but even though CAP is loosely (and seeming to be moreloosely all the time ) attached the USAF, lets recognize what we are dealing wthi which is real peopple wh are willing to get up in teh middle of the night to do the good work. Now you want a retired high school teacher to be able to walk a mile in a fxed time carrying a ruck. BLah!

GroundPounder73

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 15, 2009, 05:53:50 PM
When I was on SWAT, for a while, everyone on the team just stayed in top shape on their own.  We got a new commander who mandated a quarterly PT test.  The association said, OK, if your going to make PT a requirement, the department is going to pay for our gym memberships.  So they did.  I got the top package at the local gym and was paid up to 4 hrs OT per week to sign in at the gym and work out.    :clap:

Not that we have that ability in CAP...but still a nice story.

Very nice story. Will I get my gym membership and points toward completion of levels when I join up. Lets face it. You can only expect so much out of unpaid vollies and then you need to start throwing some more perks and stop taking things away from them, like the whites and blues. Again Im a non member yet and will take my lumps, but sounds like NHQ needs an over the top CAP slap.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2009, 02:13:00 PM
Since SARDAK has recently revived the issue of national SAR standards, I thought it might be timely to remind folks that when those are adopted they are most likely going to require that CAP adopt some sort of fitness standards for its ground teams.

Doubt it.

CAP will most likely fit what they actually do into some sort of the standard not the other way around.

Until and unless there is a monetary reward (i.e. funding) tied to that standard, there's no reason to go with it. The vast majority of what CAP does is no more taxing than the average person encounters on a regular camping trip or a picnic.

Which is the point.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

QuoteWhy not chose to assume that there will be NO standard.
Because the draft version SAYS that there will be a standard (though it doesn't say what it will be).  Don't like the assumption, don't play the game. 

GroundPounder73

The terms "draft version" and "assumption" in the same sentence make me nervous. I my experience those dont go together.

Levi

I would love to try to accomodate any requirement. But I am nearly 60 years old, and rated at 100% permanent and total by the VA due to line-of-duty injuries years ago. I can walk and see, and I believe that I could be useful in some way to a ground team in many search and rescue situations. I would like to train and participate if I can. I believe that I know enough about my own restrictions to take myself out of service if that is warranted.
Rev. Dr. L. Harry Soucy
Member D.A.V.
Member F.R.A.
U.S.N. Retired
SM, Goldsboro Composite Squadron, NC

wuzafuzz

Any idea what the proposed standards are so we can cast a halfway intelligent vote?

While I agree basic fitness is needed for GT work, one size fits all standards will be next to useless.  Seriously, a standard written to ensure success on flat terrain at 60 feet above sea level isn't even a starting point for 8,000 feet in the Rockies.  Beyond that, each member should use their judgement and evaluate whether they are up to the task for the expected search area. 

As long as someone is fit enough to engage in reasonably foreseeable CAP missions in their wing or group, that's all you need.  We don't necessarily need to keep up with high speed low drag Mountain Rescue teams.

Me?  I didn't vote yet.  However I just spent two days on GT training, stomping around the snow, ravines, and some short climbs up trails at 8,000 ft plus.  I know I could pass reasonable standards.  I also know my goofy knee and lungs will protest wildly when racing teenage GT's up a steep trail on hasty search at 9,000 feet.  A reasonable pace?  Sure.  At my age I was simply glad to survive and enjoy activities that wore out cadets younger than my kids.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

QuoteAny idea what the proposed standards are so we can cast a halfway intelligent vote?
Not really, but the draft mention a few organization's standards that are basically what I mentioned earlier -- a timed walk event carrying a backpack.  Check out the thread I cited earlier for the details on them. 

Rotorhead

Quote from: GroundPounder73 on November 15, 2009, 06:13:15 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2009, 02:57:42 PMThis seems to fall into the "lets do as many things as we can to alienate members and potential members" file.
...which also coincides with the "better training" and "better qualified members" file.

I'd rather have fewer members in good shape and with real-world quals than more members who get all huffy when they're told this isn't playtime and threaten to quit when they have to meet standards.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rodriguez

I think as far as cadets are concerned there should be a standard. All of the Ranger grades have a physical requirement. I mean as usual I think exceptions should be made for certain people but overall I think its a good idea.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG