Why do CDIs have to be members of a church?

Started by RiverAux, October 25, 2009, 11:16:17 AM

RiverAux

While I have always been ambivalent about the need for CAP to have a specific character development aspect of the cadet program, I've never really paid much attention to it.  When the new chaplain regulation came out on eservices recently, I took a look. 

Much to my surprise, only church-going CAP members can be Character Development Instructors (used to be moral leadership officers).  Since this program is not supposed to be religious in nature, why must the CDI be a member of a church?  Are we saying that atheists or others who choose not to attend a church have poor characters and are unable to help develop those values in others? 

Obviously if you want to perform Chaplain duties, you must be a member of a specific religion of some type, but I don't see a need for this restriction for CDIs.  I think this is a clear case of religious discrimination and such a requirement should be dropped. 

Cecil DP

Actually, it's a case of "Non-Religious" discrimination.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Keep in mind that the regulation excludes those who are religious if they don't attend a church as well as those who don't believe at all. 

Майор Хаткевич

Really...

As an Atheist, and as someone who may have been interested in leading CD for cadets at some point, I'm thinking it's letter writing time.

Of course if the intent was to do exactly what the regs say, then my heathen writing just might burst into flames when it reaches the Temple of NHQ.

RiverAux

I think this is one of those cases where you better be ready to put your money where your mouth is before starting down that road. You would hope that they would get that this is not a great idea, but being faced with a case where someone has been denied their wish for a position of this nature may focus their attention a bit more. 

Майор Хаткевич

Well, my reasoning is that CDI can really be fulfilled by the Deputy Commander of Cadets most of the time, or someone who is part of the CP program. I'm still a cadet until I age out, but later on doing CDI isn't out of the question if I stick with CP. Of course if this doesn't change, then I'd be breaking regs (btw, do you have a specific quote?).

RiverAux

CAPR 265-1
Quote4. Character Development Instructors. Character development instructors (CDIs) are required to be active in and recommended by their local church or similar religious body. CDIs are a part of the CAP Chaplain Corps and are appointed to provide character development instruction in the cadet program. They will not use the title "Chaplain" nor wear chaplain insignia. When duly appointed and upon completion of technician training, CDIs may wear the service badge. Only appointed and endorsed chaplains are authorized to provide ministry as clergy within CAP. Clergy ministry includes: religious ministrations (worship services, baptisms, communion, funerals); solemnizing of events; confidentiality and/or privileged communications. CAP members who are ordained ministers serving in the capacity of CDI are not granted confidentiality or privileged communication in CAP. When working under the guidance of a chaplain, CAP members may provide non-clergy support for chaplain professional ministry. CAP members may offer non-denominational prayers in the absence of a unit chaplain. Commanders will endeavor to make character development instruction available during cadet meetings for no less than 1 hour per month. Commanders may temporarily lead the character development session but should strive to recruit a chaplain or character development instructor as soon as possible. The CDI works under the direction of a chaplain designated by the wing chaplain. When no chaplain is assigned to a unit, the CDI works directly for the commander while maintaining liaison with the wing chaplain.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote4. Character Development Instructors. Character development instructors (CDIs) are required to be active in and recommended by their local church or similar religious body.  CDIs are a part of the CAP Chaplain Corps and are appointed to provide character development instruction in the cadet program. They will not use the title "Chaplain" nor wear chaplain insignia. When duly appointed and upon completion of technician training, CDIs may wear the service badge. Only appointed and endorsed chaplains are authorized to provide ministry as clergy within CAP. Clergy ministry includes: religious ministrations (worship services, baptisms, communion, funerals); solemnizing of events; confidentiality and/or privileged communications. CAP members who are ordained ministers serving in the capacity of CDI are not granted confidentiality or privileged communication in CAP. When working under the guidance of a chaplain, CAP members may provide non-clergy support for chaplain professional ministry. CAP members may offer non-denominational prayers in the absence of a unit chaplain. Commanders will endeavor to make character development instruction available during cadet meetings for no less than 1 hour per month. Commanders may temporarily lead the character development session but should strive to recruit a chaplain or character development instructor as soon as possible. The CDI works under the direction of a chaplain designated by the wing chaplain. When no chaplain is assigned to a unit, the CDI works directly for the commander while maintaining liaison with the wing chaplain.

I'd focus on this as their defense, but then again, I agree with you on the assessment that only religious folks are qualified to teach Character Development is absurd.

dwb

It's a testament to the influence that the CAP Chaplain Corps has, a remnant of the fact that MLO basically started out as "Chaplain Lite", as well as an artifact of our society's belief that the pious are the most morally sound.

Fortunately, anyone can lead a character development seminar.  You don't have to attain the rating to guide the discussion.

Pingree1492

Quote from: dwb on October 25, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
It's a testament to the influence that the CAP Chaplain Corps has, a remnant of the fact that MLO basically started out as "Chaplain Lite", as well as an artifact of our society's belief that the pious are the most morally sound.

Fortunately, anyone can lead a character development seminar.  You don't have to attain the rating to guide the discussion.

True, but you do need to have a Chaplain or Character Development Officer appointed, otherwise it will turn up in your SUI.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

jimmydeanno

I asked the same question a few years back...I was told by the MER chaplain that "Its like football.  Whomever has the ball calls the plays."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

Quote from: dwb on October 25, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
Um... no. Only Chaplains and CDIs can lead Character Development discussions. The only exception is the COMMANDER may do so if neither is available.

Quote from: CAPR 265-1
Commanders will endeavor to make character development instruction available during cadet meetings for no less than 1 hour per month. Commanders may temporarily lead the character development session but should strive to recruit a chaplain or character development instructor as soon as possible.

Deputy Commanders of any flavor cannot by regulation.

dwb

Quote from: arajca on October 25, 2009, 06:23:18 PMUm... no. Only Chaplains and CDIs can lead Character Development discussions. The only exception is the COMMANDER may do so if neither is available.

Quote from: CAPR 265-1Commanders will endeavor to make character development instruction available during cadet meetings for no less than 1 hour per month. Commanders may temporarily lead the character development session but should strive to recruit a chaplain or character development instructor as soon as possible.

That contradicts CAPR 52-16 nicely:

QuoteCAPR 52-16, para d.(2)(b)
In units without a chaplain or MLO, the commander will work with the wing chaplain to recruit a qualified chaplain or MLO. Commanders may appoint a senior member to conduct the moral leadership program if a chaplain or MLO is not available.

Spike

It is a silly rule.  It will eventually change. 

Character Development should be something a non clergy member should be leading in the first place.  Great that we have CAP Clergy/ Chaplains but that sometimes gives the appearance that we are teaching religious education.  Some Parents have specifically questioned this practice to me, and one Mother actually pulled her son out of CAP because she did not want him exposed to a Catholic priest (who was my MLO).

I think everyone is capable of leading a Character Development Session.  We all make choices in our lives, and we can express those negative and positive choices we have made. 

I have a Catholic Priest as my MLO/ CDO, but he has only led 4 sessions.  I rotate members into leading discussions.  Is this wrong?  No!  I have him assigned on the books and because of the different ways to interpret the regulations, is only a "place holder".  When (and if questioned) he agrees with me that he can have "volunteers" help him lead discussions.

Having a member of clergy leading CD sessions ONLY is like saying "only Federal Drug Enforcement Officers can lead DDR sessions".

I think this rule makes it out to be that unless we are some sort of religious leader we have no idea what negative and positive decisions/ life choices are.  I have made some real bad decisions in my life, as has everyone.  I learned from them, and use them as a tool to impart "making good, informed decisions" on the Cadets as well as my family. 

So, just waiting for the "rule" to fail on its own eventually.  I will still place a clergy member on my membership roles and have him sign off on whomever leads the Character Development discussion.  That way I can't get "slapped on the hand" if Wing does not like what I do.

AirAux

To see how well morality works without religion, one might watch the movie Timechangers.  Without a lynchpin to base morality on, it soons deteriorates.  As our society becomes less religious, it becomes less moral.  Look at the decline of family values and the rise of crime in this country.  As homosexuality has become acceptable, shouldn't we expect bisexuality and polygamy to come next?  How about pediophilia?  Did the romans not fall from cultural corruption and pseudointellilectuality?  Isn't religion the source of morality?  Why have no chaplains jumped into this discussion?? 

Spike

^ What?!?

Wow.  Lets leave sexual orientation out of this. 

You need to also go back to the history books.  Rome fell due to a number of issues.  The least of which are what you posted. 

Religion is NOT the primary source of Morality.  That is (should be, and is in most cases) the HOME.

Why does a person have to believe in some form of a GOD/GODS to be a moral citizen?  Forcing religion on a person is the reason numerous cultures have collapsed in the past.

dwb

To see how well morality works with religion, look at the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, and Jihadist terrorism.  ::)

I believe most people want to live a good life, regardless if they practice a religion or not.  There are morally sound atheists and morally corrupt theists, and vice versa.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on October 26, 2009, 01:40:54 PM
To see how well morality works without religion, one might watch the movie Timechangers.  Without a lynchpin to base morality on, it soons deteriorates.  As our society becomes less religious, it becomes less moral.  Look at the decline of family values and the rise of crime in this country.  As homosexuality has become acceptable, shouldn't we expect bisexuality and polygamy to come next?  How about pediophilia?  Did the romans not fall from cultural corruption and pseudointellilectuality?  Isn't religion the source of morality?  Why have no chaplains jumped into this discussion??

Wow.

Decline in Family Values - please provide me with statistics showing this.
Rise in Crime - please provide a scientific study supporting this.
Homosexuality - please quote me 60 current senators who support Gay Rights openly.
Bisexuality, Polygamy, pedophilia, bestiality and you - the next CD lesson plan?

Cecil DP

Quote from: AirAux on October 26, 2009, 01:40:54 PM

Citing a work of fiction to justify a historical or moral position is tenuous at best.   
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85