Firearms Training

Started by Desert Dawg, September 05, 2006, 08:26:07 PM

Desert Dawg

I have read the regs on firearms training and they are very vague.  I understand it must be approved in writing by the wing commander and taught by law enforcement or NRA instructors.  I am a NRA instructor but the regs do not say what program to use.  If anybody has done this in the past  please contact me.  I have lots of questions. ???
                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                            Ken Smith, 1Lt. CAP
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Chris Jacobs

One senior in our squadron used the training publication called "The Basics of Rifle Shooting".  It is published by the NRA.  I hope that helps some.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MIKE

For courses of fire, or just a familiarization?

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

High power or light rifle would be good.  Cadets can wear the medals on the service uniform when they qualify.
Mike Johnston

c/LTCOLorbust

So if a cadet was to do all the work for the NRA metal out side of CAP, so not at a BME but on their own time. Can they still wear the metal?
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

arajca

If they have the documentation, they can wear the medal. As with any award, they need to provide a COPY of the documentation to the unit before wearng the medal.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 15, 2006, 07:11:42 PM
what about Officers

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2.11 Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge (Earned in accordance with NRA program.) (Cadets only) Men: with the top edge centered on the left pocket flap of the service coat or shirt when worn as an
outergarment. Women: in the same position as specialty insignia (above the ribbons and beneath the wings).

Emphasis added.

You can still shoot and qualify, you just can't wear the badge.
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: Desert Dawg on September 05, 2006, 08:26:07 PM
I have read the regs on firearms training and they are very vague.  I understand it must be approved in writing by the wing commander and taught by law enforcement or NRA instructors.  I am a NRA instructor but the regs do not say what program to use.  If anybody has done this in the past  please contact me.  I have lots of questions. ???
                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                            Ken Smith, 1Lt. CAP

Lieutenant Smith,

Our Deputy Commander for Cadets started up a firearms course and had it approved by the Wing Commander and by Wing Legal.  Cadets are learning pistols (9mm) and all the training is being done at a shooting range and by a former Marine Corp firearms instructor who is also works with the local Sheriff's Office.   Other than that, there is not an NRA affilliation.  I'll get you the information on what our DCC (who also works with the Sheriff's Office) put together and get it to you, it may take a few days though.  He did a great job. Cadets don't earn wearable shinys or patches, but do earn recognition.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on December 15, 2006, 07:29:16 PM
Cadets don't earn wearable shinys or patches, but do earn recognition.

But they get to bust caps yo!  8)
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on December 15, 2006, 07:33:00 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on December 15, 2006, 07:29:16 PM
Cadets don't earn wearable shinys or patches, but do earn recognition.

But they get to bust caps yo!  8)

They can even hold the gun sideways  ;)   and miss!

A daughter of one of our Senior Members took the course and did fantastic (she'd never even held a gun before).  There have been ongoing jokes ever since such as what happens when she's old enough to ask for the car keys and he says no.   ;D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Johnny Yuma

KSWG has several NRA rifle instructors who started rifle marksmanship at last year's encampment in cooperation with a local gun club who has an indoor range on the same airport the Wing HQ's at. They ran about 60 cadets through then and last year did the same thing for the NCR encampment at Dodge where about 120 cadets shot. They're doing it again for the cadet encampment next week and a couple other wings have asked them to come and do marksmanship training at their encampments.

They use the NRA basic rifle program where the kids shoot off a bench. I believe they'd like to start some light rifle competition and perhaps later some real NRA competition. The biggest problem is that CAP doesn't allow the organization to own firearms except as survival equipment so some of the instructors established a non-profit corporation separate from CAP to get funding, equipment, etc. for the program.

I shoot NRA smallbore and highpower competition and I'd love to see a cadet CAP rifle team go to Camp Perry for the Nationals!

Johnny Y.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: