how to get qualified in ES?

Started by flyboy90, September 03, 2006, 01:57:33 AM

flyboy90

Hey,
I'm in the Florida Wing and was interested to get qualified in ES. How do I do that? After I get qualified will I be able to go on Search and rescues?
Cadet Airmen   Luke Jones
SER-FL-375
Bayside Bridge Composite Squadron

arajca

The first step is to contact your chain of command to determine the proper procedures in your unit and wing. If they haven't told you yet, there is probably a reson for it.

CLB

I believe you have to at least hold a Curry achievement to participate in a SAREX or REDCAP.  Once you pin that first stripe on, take the ES tests online (go ahead and take all of them except 117 pt 3), print out a SQTR in an area you want to train and go to a SAREX.  Have a qualified person sign you off on the tasks required and go on 2 sorties. 

That should make you basically qualified once you have the information entered into MIMS.  Start out with something like UDF, MRO or GT3.  Once you have a qualification, talk to your commander or alerting officer/ ES officer and have s/he place you on the alerting roster. 

Oh, and get ready for a 4 am call.....that is if your parents grant permission. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

arajca

You don't go to a SAREX (practice mission) or RED-CAP (real mission) until you have completed the Prerequisites and Familiarization and Preparatory Training. These are the first two sections on the SQTR. You also need your unit commander or authorized designee to sign both sections BEFORE you go to a mission, practice or real. If you show up at a mission without this done, you'll most likely be sent home.

Your unit chain of command will have all the details.

Eclipse

Since it looks like you're coming in the ground floor, bear in mind there is a difference between

"trained"

and

"Qualified".

Qualified requires a sign-off by a current, rated, SET.  Trained just means you picked up the manuals, and figured it out yourself, or got someone who knows about "x" to help you.

The ES curriculm is very task-orientated, which means you can take things one little piece at a time.  NESA and similiar is great, but there is no requirement to participate in any structured classroom or training environment.

My point being, don't let lack of a local SET in a specialty you want to pursue get in your way - you can always go to another unit for your sign offs.  If no one in your unit is a GT, buy a compass and figure it out, or better yet, get a unit study group together.  When you think you are ready, find an SET.

As far as participation in SAREx's, as a cadet, there's no way around the requirement for supervision, and those Officers have to be qualified in the specialty as well.  So your ability to participate will be linked to your ability to connect with a team, or at least a few qual'ed Officers (remember, we're not "Senior Members" anymore.

Check here for links to the traning and manuals:
http://group22.net/es/esupdates.html

"That Others May Zoom"