Main Menu

Vanguard - ouch!

Started by dwb, June 29, 2006, 06:21:30 PM

flyguy06

Man, I just ordered some stuff from Vanguard. What a rip off. $7.00 S&H. WOW.

Psicorp

yeah, I think $7 is their standard fee.  I put together an order for myself recently and went around collecting item lists from my squadron just to make it worth it. $7 shipping on $100 worth of stuff seems a little more reasonable.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Camas

Quote from: mawrI now need a flight cap device and I'm hesitant to order until I need enough to justify the seven bucks.

Some time ago I ordered both a flight and service cap device from The Hock.  These were the shiny ones unlike the ones from CAPMart which tended to be quite dull.  Again, this has been some months ago.

BillB

The reason they were shiney was CAP switched from the dull oxidized finish to silver finish in the new 39-1.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Psicorp

Just an interesting note:

The order I placed on the 12th arrived today.  Vanguard sent it priority mail and certified mail.  The postage is marked as being $8.30, so actually the $7 shipping I paid wasn't enough.  That doesn't even count the box and all the plastic baggies they put every item in.  I gotta hand it to them, the order was well organized and the process from order to delivery was quick.   This is my first experience with Vanguard, and if that's business as usual for them, I'm impressed.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

afgeo4

UPDATE -----

The order finally arrived a week ago.  I was shipped the reverse US flag vs. the standard one (for flightsuits) that I ordered and one of the ribbons (out of 7) was missing. They re-shipped the flags to me at no charge, but the ribbon I don't even care about anymore.  I give up. I can't deal with them anymore.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on October 31, 2006, 04:47:45 AM
UPDATE -----

The order finally arrived a week ago.  I was shipped the reverse US flag vs. the standard one (for flightsuits) that I ordered and one of the ribbons (out of 7) was missing. They re-shipped the flags to me at no charge, but the ribbon I don't even care about anymore.  I give up. I can't deal with them anymore.

Well, last order from Vanguard I got a C/Lt Col embroidered insignia that I didn't order.  Anybody missing a set of diamonds they should have received in their order?  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SARChick

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget

Pylon

Quote from: Sgt. C on November 03, 2006, 08:37:20 AM
:'( i miss CAPMART  :'(

You do?   :o

I know many others here wouldn't share the same sentiments.  CAPMart certainly had their share of problems, as well!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SARChick

Quote from: Pylon on November 03, 2006, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: Sgt. C on November 03, 2006, 08:37:20 AM
:'( i miss CAPMART  :'(

You do?   :o

I know many others here wouldn't share the same sentiments.  CAPMart certainly had their share of problems, as well!

well i didnt exactly say that CAPMART was perfect..just easier i guess. but i must go with the times. change happens all the time! vanguard it is.  ;)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget

afgeo4

Yes...  Vanguard and Pineda... I wonder if the future will label our generation that way. ???
GEORGE LURYE

capcadet101

Vanguard sucks in my squadron we have cadets that ordered stuff like six months ago and still have not got anything from vanguard. They change more than capmart ever did and the people that work there are petty rude  >:D I do  not like them at all.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

JohnKachenmeister

As far as rudeness, I encountered it once.  I called back the next day and got it straightened out with the girl in charge of handling the CAP account.  Quality is OK, they are shipping a LOT faster than they used to, but I still hate paying $7 for S&H on a small order.

For flight suits though, go to www.BDU.com and order a Nomex flight suit, chubby guys' sizes IN STOCK, for $129 and shipped to your door in 3-4 days.  Already has the velcro on the chest and both sleeves, ready to stick on your NEW "Not Really The Air Force" MAJCOM patch!
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

For very small orders, the Hock Shop is probably a better deal from a S&H point of view -- $5 standard rather than $7. 

CAPMART had been good to me the last 4-5 years, but back further than that they were TERRIBLE?  Anyone else have 45 minute wait times to actually talk to a person back then?  They improved quite a bit right up until they got axed. 

Haven't had any severe problems with Vanguard. 

mdickinson

Here is an idea for those who have received substandard service from Vanguard. Rather than complaining to Vanguard, try this method.

Quoting from the CAP Knowledgebase:

Rita LaBarre, formerly of CAPMart, is here at national headquarters as our Vanguard liaison and is available to assist you with any special orders or problems. She can be reached by e-mail at rlabarre@cap.gov or toll-free at 877-227-9142, ext. 205 if you need assistance.

(end quote)
Perhaps Ms. LaBarre has access to those at CAP HQ who can get results. At the very least, by reporting problems to her you will be helping other members by logging in a complaint. When/if the complaints reach a critical mass, the folks at CAP HQ will then be able to elevate to someone high enough up at Vanguard to actually institute a substantive change.

RogueLeader

The only problem that I had was that I had to call three times to get them to get me the right item, then they sent the shirt that I canceled in less than a week. go figure.  I should have called and ask why they didn't refund my money for the shirt, but integrity has a cost;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: mdickinson on December 12, 2006, 07:20:34 PM
Here is an idea for those who have received substandard service from Vanguard. Rather than complaining to Vanguard, try this method.

Quoting from the CAP Knowledgebase:

Rita LaBarre, formerly of CAPMart, is here at national headquarters as our Vanguard liaison and is available to assist you with any special orders or problems. She can be reached by e-mail at rlabarre@cap.gov or toll-free at 877-227-9142, ext. 205 if you need assistance.

(end quote)
Perhaps Ms. LaBarre has access to those at CAP HQ who can get results. At the very least, by reporting problems to her you will be helping other members by logging in a complaint. When/if the complaints reach a critical mass, the folks at CAP HQ will then be able to elevate to someone high enough up at Vanguard to actually institute a substantive change.

I followed this course of action a little wihle back and await a response.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn