Cadet uniform program

Started by Strick, July 03, 2009, 02:25:19 PM

Strick

What are cadets reciving as part of the free uniform program and how long does it take?
[darn]atio memoriae

jimmydeanno

Flight Cap
Pants
Blues Shirt
Belt

Takes [from my cadets] 10-12 weeks to arrive.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 03, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Takes [from my cadets] 10-12 weeks to arrive.
If you're lucky. I have seen cadets wait well over six months for their uniforms, or just never even receive one...

LtCol057

A lot of it depends on when they join. Those that join right at the beginning of the fiscal year seem to get their uniforms sooner. The later you wait, the more possibilities of no money in the program.

DC

Quote from: LtCol057 on July 04, 2009, 12:43:06 AM
A lot of it depends on when they join. Those that join right at the beginning of the fiscal year seem to get their uniforms sooner. The later you wait, the more possibilities of no money in the program.
I seem to remember a thread a while back talking about how they usually have a substantial amount of $$$ left over still... I don't know, I could be wrong.

EDIT: Found it - Linky

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: LtCol057 on July 04, 2009, 12:43:06 AM

Try to get all uniforms back from the cadets that drop out of the program after they get their uniforms.  Depending upon the cadet's size this may allow you to equip the new cadet right away with a uniform, especially when there's a backlog of uniform issues.

I think it can be difficult to keep them in a regulation uniform since they are in the physical growth stages of their lives.

For comparison purposes, in the JR ROTC program, how many uniforms can a cadet get while participating in that program?
RM

Ozzy

Well for AFJROTC, most to all units have their own stock room of blues for the unit, and they can order more easily. In my unit, we only received one set, which was:

Flight Cap
Blues Shirt 2x (One SS, One LS)
Blues Pants
Blues Service Coat, Enlisted (New-Style)
Blues Windbreaker w/ Liner
Black Uniform Socks
Black Oxford Shoes, Bates (You had to shine!)
All of the devices, insignia, + patch

And that's about all I can remember of getting. For CAP, I received my uniform fairly quickly. I joined in November...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

LtCol057

Another big problem, at least in my area, is that a lot of the new cadets need small or extra small sizes.  It's a lot easier getting the bigger sizes.  We had a couple of cadets a few years ago that the only part of the uniform that fit was the flight cap. 

RiverAux

Quote from: LtCol057 on July 04, 2009, 06:49:27 PM
Another big problem, at least in my area, is that a lot of the new cadets need small or extra small sizes.  It's a lot easier getting the bigger sizes.  We had a couple of cadets a few years ago that the only part of the uniform that fit was the flight cap.
While we often talk about the benefits of getting free uniforms for our cadets being one of the justifications for the wear of the AF-style uniforms, I don't think I've ever heard this negative aspect brought up here before.  Having seen some tiny cadets, I can certainly believe that finding uniforms to fit them could be an issue. 

jrsvf

According to the latest NHQ data, the cadet uniform issue is only once per year.  Cadets will be waiting a very long time to get the free uniform. I suggest that you contact you local AFROTC or AFJROTC units for end of year leftovers or extras. If you live near a USAF Base, contact the Airman's Attic or Thrift Shop for assistance.

NC Hokie

Quote from: jrsvf on July 06, 2009, 10:03:37 AM
According to the latest NHQ data, the cadet uniform issue is only once per year.

Where can one find this data?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Rodriguez

I honestly have gotten mixed reviews about it.
It gives you a lot of what you need to start but it many times takes so long to receive the items, but then other times it comes relatively quick, within 4 weeks actually.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG