'Normal'

Started by Daniel, June 08, 2009, 10:16:42 PM

SJFedor

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 09, 2009, 07:38:00 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on June 08, 2009, 11:29:59 PM

Then I wouldn't say that you are speeding through. My CCO got to 2LT in 1 year. Not that bad. But I joined May 21 (e-Services) and I am close to getting to Airman. I just have to go to Encampment and boom. I got my Activity taken care of. :D

He made C/2d Lt in a year? If he did their is something seriously wrong because you have to wait two months for each promotion. By my math it would take 20 months minimum to make C/2d Lt.

Unless he's got time in with a JROTC program, then he can promote at 1 achievement per month up to the award specified in CAPR 52-16, commensurate with his time in JROTC.

RTFM.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

D2SK

Quote from: SJFedor on June 09, 2009, 07:40:43 PM
RTFM.

::)  Would you say that to the cadet in person?
Lighten up, Francis.

SJFedor

Quote from: D2SK on June 09, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
RTFM.

Absolutely. Read the fine manual. Lots of nice people put lots of time creating such a nice, supportive document  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 09, 2009, 07:38:00 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on June 08, 2009, 11:29:59 PM

Then I wouldn't say that you are speeding through. My CCO got to 2LT in 1 year. Not that bad. But I joined May 21 (e-Services) and I am close to getting to Airman. I just have to go to Encampment and boom. I got my Activity taken care of. :D

He made C/2d Lt in a year? If he did their is something seriously wrong because you have to wait two months for each promotion. By my math it would take 20 months minimum to make C/2d Lt.

I sorta exaggerated it. It was like a year and a half, a little bit more. But I don't Think is was more than 2 years. I will ask him tonight.

Wright Brothers #13915

BillB

Not if you've completed two years of JROTC. Then you can test and promote each month.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Daniel

Oh and I just completed a fema test online.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

davidsinn

Quote from: D2SK on June 09, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
RTFM.

That's my normal answer to cadets. I didn't just gain all of my knowledge over night. I had to read and learn it. Cadets want it spoon fed to them and don't want to take the effort to find it themselves.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

majdomke

What is a Vice Commander doing in a composite squadron?

DC

Quote from: Lt Domke on June 10, 2009, 06:48:31 PM
Probably something other than reading 20-1...  ::)

jimmydeanno

Might just be what works organizationally for them, there is flexibility in the CoC you know...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: DC on June 10, 2009, 09:36:56 PM

20-1 does allow for more positions than listed. I'm a Vice Commander because we only have one person for the position instead of two deputies. I run both the senior program and the cadet program as well as holding a few other positions. I'm also the next guy in line if the Commander isn't there. If you saw how few officers we have you'd understand.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2009, 10:45:48 AM

20-1 does allow for more positions than listed. I'm a Vice Commander because we only have one person for the position instead of two deputies. I run both the senior program and the cadet program as well as holding a few other positions. I'm also the next guy in line if the Commander isn't there. If you saw how few officers we have you'd understand.

Their point is that the title "Vice Commander" is only used at Wing and higher levels. Since you do both Deputy Commander jobs for both the senior and cadet side, you'd simply be the "Deputy Commander"

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

davidsinn

Quote from: SJFedor on June 11, 2009, 11:22:27 AM

Their point is that the title "Vice Commander" is only used at Wing and higher levels. Since you do both Deputy Commander jobs for both the senior and cadet side, you'd simply be the "Deputy Commander"

You do have a point but I just do what I'm told.  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2009, 12:24:36 PM

Haha. Understood, but go look in eServices. I'm at the Group level and have duty assignment privlidges for Group level and below. I don't even have "Vice Commander" as a choice in the Command section.

I bet your duty assignment says "Deputy Commander"

Or it might say nothing. :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

davidsinn

Quote from: SJFedor on June 11, 2009, 01:04:19 PM

Haha. Understood, but go look in eServices. I'm at the Group level and have duty assignment privlidges for Group level and below. I don't even have "Vice Commander" as a choice in the Command section.

It does say deputy. Point being my duties closely mimic those of a Wing Vice Commander. I literally speak for the commander and have been given nearly free reign. Vice Commander is more appropriate because all staff positions report to me with the exception of safety. Our COC chart isn't identical to the one in 20-1.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BrandonKea

It might sound more appropriate, but the position as it is in the regulation is "Deputy Commander".

I might feel like my position should be called "Master of All Things ES" but that ain't my title. (Nor is it anywhere near true  :))
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 11, 2009, 01:48:06 PM
It might sound more appropriate, but the position as it is in the regulation is "Deputy Commander".

I might feel like my position should be called "Master of All Things ES" but that ain't my title. (Nor is it anywhere near true  :))

The regulation does give unit commanders some latitude. That's what mine has done. Because of how it works my commander deemed it more appropriate.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BrandonKea

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2009, 02:47:15 PM

The regulation does give unit commanders some latitude. That's what mine has done. Because of how it works my commander deemed it more appropriate.

Reg cite for the latitude?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2009, 02:47:15 PM

Nothing to do with latitude. Everything you've described makes you a deputy commander, not a vice commander.

Your commander probably needs to review 20-1 as well, you don't get to make up titles because you think they fit better. Otherwise, I'd be the "Group 'Does Everything Related to Anything Operational' Officer"

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2009, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on June 11, 2009, 01:04:19 PM

It does say deputy. Point being my duties closely mimic those of a Wing Vice Commander. I literally speak for the commander and have been given nearly free reign. Vice Commander is more appropriate because all staff positions report to me with the exception of safety. Our COC chart isn't identical to the one in 20-1.

Oh, and depending on the set-up of your Wing, the Wing Chief of Staff is who Wing staff officers report to. The Wing Vice is usually tasked with handling the Group commanders.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver