Mission/Communications Vehicles

Started by whatevah, February 28, 2005, 12:58:42 AM

whatevah

Ok, here's a thread to show off your unit/group/wing's special use vehicles.

For the first entry, my wing has a Mobile Command Center, aquired from our state police, when they got a new vehicle. It's built on a 1971 International body with a 454 cid GM V-8, automatic transmission, truck grade tires, and a vacuum/hydraulic brake system.  And, as far as I know, it's the only one of its kind in CAP.

On the outside, it has the light-blue paint scheme the state police used, with CAP lettering added when we got it. For emergency lighting, it has amber/white strobes in the front grill, wig-wag headlights and the white lights above the windshield flash in an alternating pattern. There are strobes in the brake lights, as well. Honestly, these are rarely used, except to show the MCC location at night. We remove the fuses for the switches when we goto events, so nobody plays with the lights  ::).   Also, visible on the outside, is the antenna array on the roof, which includes multiple VHF antennas, 800 & 900Mhz antennas, and a HF whip antenna with a marine mount (we raise it when on location). We have 2 air conditioning systems for the cabin (mounted on the roof), keeping us warm or cool as the case may be.  Last, but not least, there is a pneumatic mast that we add antennas and/or floodlights to when on location.

Not visible from the outside are two Onan, 2-cylinder 7 kW generators with remote start from the cabin. They share a gas tank, separate from the vehicle tank. If the full power of both generators is not needed, one generator can power the entire vehicle by chaining them together. Or, we can connect 220 power to the vehicle. :)  We can also share our 120 or 220 power with others in an emergency.

In the drivers area are the controls for the lights, public address system, CB radio (not for mission use), and a VHF radio that can be connected to the PA system to pipe the audio to the outside speakers. Also, there is a remote speaker from the "Comm" computer (useful when using GPS-based mapping software for directions), a phone/intercom, generator starter switches, and power controls for the cabin.   Also, there is a seat next to the main door, which is locked in place by a pin when driving. These are the only two spots with seatbelts, so it has a max crew of 2 when traveling.  It's usually supported by a pickup truck and van or bronco. (Yeah, the gas stations love it when our little convoy shows up.)

On the controls, there are options for Hallway lighting, ceiling/desk lighting for the 2 stations (Comm/Video), power controls for the two intake/exhaust vans in the hallway ceiling, floodlight controls (sides and rear of truck), water pump, entrance step motor, and lights inside the outside compartments.

Moving back, the first station is the radio operator, with access to 2 CAP VHF radios, 1 HF Radio with autotuning antenna, 1 Air-band radio, 1 VHF lo-band radio, and a Motorola radio for the state's 800mhz digital network.  Also, there is a computer with a GPS receiver on the roof, and a 3-in-1 printer/copier/fax. That's is connected to an analog cell-phone mounted above the printer. There are also a couple drawers for storing stuff. One office chair (on wheels) is kept bungie-corded to the desk, so it doesn't roll while driving.  There is a white ceiling light, and a red/white desk light.

On the hallway across from the radio operator is a dry-erase board.

Moving back, the next station is the "Video room". Used by the state police for negotiations, this tiny room has a sliding door, so it's a little more peaceful here.  We use it primarily for image downlink over SSTV. It also controls our CCTV camera when we raise it on the mast.  The room contains a VHF radio, a small tv, computer and a printer. Like the Comm area, there is a white ceiling light, and a red/white work light. One office chair is bungie-corded to the wall.

Now, along the hallway are small coat hangars, and at the top of the hallway we store the antennas we use on the mast.

Moving back, you reach the galley/work area. The galley section has the a/c controls for the truck, a refrigerator, coffee maker, water faucet and microwave. Stored in cabinets are coffee supplies and instant meals (add water, nuke in the microwave, and eat). A few feet further and you run into a table with room for 4 people. At this table is a LAN jack for the computer network, phone/intercom connected to the cell phone at the front of the truck, and storage under the seats for floodlights, antenna cables, shopvac, and recruiting brochures. On the wall is a dry erase board. Mounted to the cabinets is a small tv for monitoring local news or viewing downlinked SSTV images, and, yet another VHF radio.

In the back corner are 3 coaxial cable jacks which can be used for output on antennas placed on the mast. These are available for assisting other agencies who might need a higher antenna.

One picture is below, with more pictures available at http://photos.delawarewing.org/mcc/

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

whatevah

While not as fancy as our Mobile Command Center, we have two other vehicles with good mission use. We have a 1991 Ford Bronco with a Johnson Stealth radio, and an extra airband antenna, usually hooked to an L-Per. The bronco seats 3 comfortably, 4 a little snug, or 5 very good friends.  ;D  If you lock the front hubs, you can put the Bronco into 4-wheel drive, which makes driving in snow or off-road very nice. In fact, we used the Bronco to track down an ELT a few hours after a winter storm dumped 9 inches of snow in the area (and weighted down the tail of a parked Cessna enough to slam into the ground hard enough to trigger the ELT). The Bronco has rotating amber lights on the roof for high visibilty, and rear-facing caution flashers that can be activated seperating from the rotating lights also in the light bar.

We also have a 200? Chevy 4-door 4-wheel drive truck with a long bed. This has two radios, and has rotating amber lights in a bar on the roof.

These two vehicles are used a lot in missions (they're assigned to an IC, and to the most active ground team in the wing), so they are often seen nearby the mobile command center during a mission or event.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Major_Chuck

I've been looking to try and get a 1977 Gremlin or Pacer for our Wing Commander.  The 2000 something Expedition is just a little too much for him.

Several years ago we converted an old surplus ambulance into a communications van.  Work great until the motor blew.  It was a mid-60's vehicle.

On a more serious note we have a communications trailer that fills in when needed.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

pixelwonk

This is WIWG's new 2004 Mobile Command Center, which is currently being equipped.

http://www.wiwg.cap.gov/images/O2big.jpg

Since it's currently being outfitted with geek goodies, I can't elaborate much yet on what it's got inside.  Barely visible on the roof is a telescoping tower.  I'm not sure if it's new or if it was salvaged from our old Command Center, which was 60ft at the tip of the highest antenna. 
When it's done later this spring I'll be featuring it with many photos and a detailed description on the Wisconsin Wing website.

In contrast, here's info on our old one (which I've personally helped to equip  and frequently operate) which was in service from approx 1997-2003:
http://wiwg.cap.gov/comm/orca/orca2.html

This vehicle had the distinction of serving as a FEMA net control station for a portion of time on Sept 11th 2001.

Matt

Maj,

I can elaborate a bit on the inside, just enough to make them get their mouths wet...

Orca II, named after the Tait Radios, follows Orca I of whom's engine burned up.

Orca is outfitted with your basic commodoties from a microwave to running water.  She's based on a 35' full size Winniebaggo.  She can and soon will be outfitted with rations to support a crew of 8 for 7 days in a field with no outside contact, other then the radios.

Starting in the REAR of the vehicle, it has no master bed.  It instead houses 2 HF Radios, 4 VHF Radios, 1 LB Radio, 1 Military Air Band, with low, medium, and high bands, 1 400MHz CAP-UHF Radio, 1 800MHz Police Band Radio, and 1 Airband Radio.  Also, in the communications unit area is a 22" Flat screen TV.

Moving boward we come to our next stop at the Planning section, soon the operations section, up to the drivers area with the IC and the DIC areas.

Also on Orca is it's operational Wireless and backboned with, wired network.  To top it off, the Sattellite internet and phone, and stocked galley.

Orca is currently shy of a FEMA-Type II rating by an OCM unit, I believe... basically you can patch a radio into a phone line.

Shy of a FEMA-Type I by above and a repeater.

;D

Wow, I feel like the Price is Right!

Any other questions, let me know, I might be able to find out.

Also, I believe she'll be at Nat'l Conf.

PS: Link for Orca doesn't seem to work  :'(
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

pixelwonk

Quote from: Matt on August 12, 2005, 04:00:53 PM
Maj,

Orca II, named after the Tait Radios, follows Orca I of whom's engine burned up.

...Not. 
Orca II follows Orca I.  The Tait's came around waaaay after the whale (hint-hint) of this Mobile Command Center came into being.  I spent many-a-hour with BM73 working in "I"  to get it operational and keep it that way.

PS: Link for Orca doesn't seem to work :'(

Nope it doesn't.  this thread was made a long time before WIWG changed URLs.  I generally don't have the time nor interest to keep old forum threads updated with live links.  Perhaps if Lt Col BM73 has time he can take updated pictures and we can write up a narrative on it for www.wiwgcap.gov at a later time.

ctrossen

Quote from: tedda on August 13, 2005, 01:12:45 AM

Nope it doesn't.  this thread was made a long time before WIWG changed URLs.  I generally don't have the time nor interest to keep old forum threads updated with live links.  Perhaps if Lt Col BM73 has time he can take updated pictures and we can write up a narrative on it for www.wiwgcap.gov at a later time.

You know, Tedd, we *did* just spend half a week in that thing during EAA. We could've come up with a couple of hundred photos for you.

Oh, well. It's going to National Board. Maybe you can talk Dan into taking some more pictures then...
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

pixelwonk

Quote from: ctrossen on August 13, 2005, 01:50:57 AM
Quote from: tedda on August 13, 2005, 01:12:45 AM

You know, Tedd, we *did* just spend half a week in that thing during EAA. We could've come up with a couple of hundred photos for you.

Oh, well. It's going to National Board. Maybe you can talk Dan into taking some more pictures then...

Well, if you've got any, send em over.  That goes for any photos of your unit in action, I'll take em for featuring on the wing site. 

Jerry

Our Unit's comm/SAR vehicle is a 1995 GMC van that is equipped with
all HF and FEMA frequencies, VHF, Aircraft monitor with public service scanning ability, l'il Elper, Doppler DF (looks like an FCC vehicle :D). tools, safety and ground team euipment. Not a elaborate as some, I suppose, but is fully equipped to meet any SAR or disaster deployment. It is about time to trade it, and, I suppose, we could get a new one. But it only has 50,000 miles, we got it new, and it is still one of the best cared-for and good-looking vans in the Wing! (Why, of COURSE, I'm biased ;D)   We haven't considered applying to replace it because of all the radios and such that have to be transferred ("I'm too lazy ;) ) .....................................and we're afraid
that

we might

get stuck with

a

FORD! (bad)

or a DODGE (worse!)

And if you haven't figured out that a lot of this post is tongue-in-cheek, then shame on you!!) ;D

Jerry

Matt

Here's the beast, the beast of mass... well, not really a beast of anything, just really big....

WICAPMOM

Actually Orca is 38 feet long.  I helped do some of the layouts for it.
Here is an example of what the interior looks like...

I know that the image may not look so good, but it gives you an idea.  I am still learning how to post.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

fyrfitrmedic

For those out and about in the NER/MER border area, the DEWG 'bus' can often be seen parked at New Castle Airport if you drive up and down US Rt 13...

The future missus spotted it first on one of our dinner runs along 13.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

whatevah

I don't know if you've been past lately, but we've moved it to another spot on the airport.  It'll still visible, but only if you know to look at the right spot.  We were using a few parking spaces at the Dupont hangars, but I think they started to need the space, so we moved it into the Delaware Air National Guard side of the airport, using one of their parking lots next to Rt 141 (with a bunch of those solar-powered lights).

Our old spot was pretty good advertising, a lot of people saw it there and mentioned it when they heard me say that I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: whatevah on September 18, 2005, 04:15:29 PM
I don't know if you've been past lately, but we've moved it to another spot on the airport.  It'll still visible, but only if you know to look at the right spot.  We were using a few parking spaces at the Dupont hangars, but I think they started to need the space, so we moved it into the Delaware Air National Guard side of the airport, using one of their parking lots next to Rt 141 (with a bunch of those solar-powered lights).

Our old spot was pretty good advertising, a lot of people saw it there and mentioned it when they heard me say that I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol. :)

I haven't been past in several weeks and don't remember looking last time.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Matt

ok, Orca Layout Link amended.

whatevah

Matt, do you see the option "Attach" if you click on "Additional Options"?  You can upload the layout right into the forum, solving any hosting issue. :D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Capt SSnyder

I would love to know more about "Orca". I heard it was sent to help Katrina recovery. What kind of feedback did they get? What was it used for? Also curious how much it cost to acquire and equip and who paid for it? Are large vehicles like this one and Delaware Wing's really worth the cost?
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

Matt

Quote from: whatevah on September 21, 2005, 01:56:12 PM
Matt, do you see the option "Attach" if you click on "Additional Options"?  You can upload the layout right into the forum, solving any hosting issue. :D

yep, but the link on the server didn't save right, when I tried opening the file it didn't want to work (please note: my computer and server hate me).

Orca:  Yes it did go down to Katrina and was manned by the first team that we have.  It's mission capacity was to relay messages with the 3 forward command centers via radio and Satellite phone (when it worked, it was overloaded a lot if I heard correctly).

Cost: to my best knowledge everything in was sitting around 1/3-1/2 mil.  Is it worth it?  It all depends on your wing's staffing and ES capabilities, here it was a well-welcomed addition to my knowledge, but that's WIWG.

Eclipse

OK - I'll stir up the pot a bit...

Orca showed up to Katrina w/ a crew that we were told would be with it for at least three weeks - I give them credit for that, as I only did a week.

However....

Some issues - a couple important and a couple just pissed us off.

According to the (now) former NHQ-VC, the unit, after all the money and almost a year, did not arrive turn-key, and took several days to get any use out of it (no evidence, just hearsay).

The fancy mast was deployed on an AIRPORT, right near the runways and does not have a strobe - duh. Got the pics.

Orca was parked behind MS HQ, basically in a valley, I've got some pics, but if you don't believe me, check a topo map of Jackson Airport where wing HQ is.  This resulted in only a 10-ft real gain over the roof of the building - you couldn't even see the antenna from the front of the building. And then they wondered why they couldn't talk to Stennis most of the time. 

Last - and this is the pissed off part, we rolled up in the mid-evening, and one of our people saw the fancy vacation bus and knocked on the door.

Somebody answered

"nice rig, can I have a look inside?"

"I don't think we'll be open again before you guys leave in the morning."

"Huh?"

"We're closed."  Door shuts.

Nice.

But what was the kicker was that the occupants slept in the wagon all night in the comfort of airconditioning, while those of us camping outside got to listen to their [darn] generator all night. 

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

For our use these buses are a waste of money, for the rumored $250K they spent on the thing, they could have bought a fleet of mid-sized SUV's w/ 12 or 14 ft trailers.

Way more effective, but not nearly as sexy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

umm... we didn't pay for it... that was all granted monies...  And, yes, I can belive those crew would say that... I know them personally, depending on their moods, they can be cranky...  However, typically they're nice.  Sorry about the bad dipolmats, will attempt to send nicer people next time... now we just have to find some willing to train.

WICAPMOM

I can only speak to the emotional side of the comments made by Eclipse.  Regarding the technical, all I know is that for the most part the location and time spent at it were all done in following orders.  We did have other teams prepared to depart to the area when Orca was ordered to return home.  That is why only there 1 week.

Regarding the monies spent it was granted for a specific purpose so there was no choice on spending it on some thing else.

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the attempt to visit Orca.

Personally, and maybe I will get in trouble for this, I can only guess who opened the door when you knocked.  It was probably your bad luck that of all of  the crew that went down with orca you got the one who is the least personable, sorry.  Most of them are very friendly.  While all are intelligent and well trained.

Unfortunately the generators are required to remain running while in use.

Regarding the antenna light for airport use, I will see that your suggestion is forwarded on, it is a very valid point.

I hope you get another chance to visit it, someday, of course under better conditions.  And not under such circumstances.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Matt

Okie Dokie, got to thinking about 4 this mornin', and Julie (Maj. Sorenson for those who have split personality beliefs), you may be able to correct me when you get in today.

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2005, 08:51:11 AM
According to the (now) former NHQ-VC, the unit, after all the money and almost a year, did not arrive turn-key, and took several days to get any use out of it (no evidence, just hearsay).

I was going to be coming down as the second crew, I had plotted out the route via Street Atlas and TopoUSA, the trek itself takes about 14 hours of straight driving, give/take in IDEAL conditions.  Now, that is idealy with no stops, which they did stop in Memphis where they were orginally assigned if my memory serves correctly.  Also, I'm fairly sure even though they didn't HAVE to, they did stop for gas.  You can have a nice sitdown meal in the time it takes to fill the 100 Gal. Tank on that beast.

If you're speaking of a couple day setup, well then I have no defense for that.  From experience, setup only takes but 15 minutes, 20 minutes tops.

The fancy mast was deployed on an AIRPORT, right near the runways and does not have a strobe - duh. Got the pics.

That one you'd have to goto the NOC for.  They're they one's who knew all about it.  However, I will support that complaint.  My first training on Orca was at an airshow up here and we were about oh, 250-500' off the runway and had the mast up, it is rather stupid not to have one, but we're still tweaking it (event hough that SHOULD have been an initial concern).  I will again re-submit that on my list to the Project Officer.

Orca was parked behind MS HQ, basically in a valley, I've got some pics, but if you don't believe me, check a topo map of Jackson Airport where wing HQ is.  This resulted in only a 10-ft real gain over the roof of the building - you couldn't even see the antenna from the front of the building. And then they wondered why they couldn't talk to Stennis most of the time. 

Again, not our fault mate, that was NOC.  They simply assigned the whale to where it was.  Not much one can do.  However, I do concur, it was pretty stupid to park it directly behind a building.  We typically do that to prevent wind shears on it, but if it was interfering with comms, it should have been moved.

Last - and this is the pissed off part, we rolled up in the mid-evening, and one of our people saw the fancy vacation bus and knocked on the door.

Somebody answered

"nice rig, can I have a look inside?"

"I don't think we'll be open again before you guys leave in the morning."

"Huh?"

"We're closed."  Door shuts.

Nice.

But what was the kicker was that the occupants slept in the wagon all night in the comfort of airconditioning, while those of us camping outside got to listen to their [darn] generator all night. 

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

For our use these buses are a waste of money, for the rumored $250K they spent on the thing, they could have bought a fleet of mid-sized SUV's w/ 12 or 14 ft trailers.

Way more effective, but not nearly as sexy.

The part was covered by WICAPMOM.

JaL5597

Quote from: Matt on November 21, 2005, 02:05:46 PM

Again, not our fault mate, that was NOC.  They simply assigned the whale to where it was.  Not much one can do.  However, I do concur, it was pretty stupid to park it directly behind a building.  We typically do that to prevent wind shears on it, but if it was interfering with comms, it should have been moved.

Why would the NOC have any imput where the commo vehicle is parked at the mission base in Jackson Missippi?

I am sure the IC Staff had a say in it but not the NOC.  They had more important things to worry about.

Eclipse

Frankly I wouldn't be suprised for 1 minute if I found out the NOC was directing where individual packets of sugar were deployed from each MRE.

As it was they were at times hand-holding each >SORTIE<. 

Nothing I heard, however, indicated that positioning the van was anything but a local decision.
I'll admit that if it was my choice, behind the building would be my first choice, as it would be better protected and hidden, but it should have been moved after the problems were discovered.

"That Others May Zoom"

WICAPMOM

Regardless of where the order came from, the individuals with in orca were not in charge.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

SARPilotNY

Quote from: Jerry on August 13, 2005, 04:10:44 PM
Our Unit's comm/SAR vehicle is a 1995 GMC van that is equipped with
all HF and FEMA frequencies, VHF, Aircraft monitor with public service scanning ability, l'il Elper, Doppler DF (looks like an FCC vehicle :D). tools, safety and ground team euipment. Not a elaborate as some, I suppose, but is fully equipped to meet any SAR or disaster deployment. It is about time to trade it, and, I suppose, we could get a new one. But it only has 50,000 miles, we got it new, and it is still one of the best cared-for and good-looking vans in the Wing! (Why, of COURSE, I'm biased ;D)   We haven't considered applying to replace it because of all the radios and such that have to be transferred ("I'm too lazy ;) ) .....................................and we're afraid
that

we might

get stuck with

a

FORD! (bad)

or a DODGE (worse!)

And if you haven't figured out that a lot of this post is tongue-in-cheek, then shame on you!!) ;D

Jerry
Has anyone seen one of the FCC vehicles?  One showed up to meet with our team that located a 121.5 carrier only comming from a pinball machine at a bar.  Really cool 4x4.  BTW, we turned off the pinball machine and the signal was still being picked up by the SARSAT.  It was found later at an airport 7 miles from the SARSAT merge.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff