Weiredest places you have found ELT;s and EPerbs.

Started by Hoorah, May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

Hoorah

Wheres the weirdest places you have  found them at.
The weirdest place we have found one was in a basement.

Flying Pig

Hanging in a pilots survival gear, in his locker at the local Army Guard Helicopter Unit.

DC

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 24, 2009, 11:19:12 PM
Hanging in a pilots survival gear, in his locker at the local Army Guard Helicopter Unit.
Not me, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had found one in the garbage...

PHall

Quote from: DC on May 25, 2009, 03:41:51 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 24, 2009, 11:19:12 PM
Not me, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had found one in the garbage...

We find EPIRB's in dumpsters at Marinas all the time.

SJFedor

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

How did we find anything? You don't even have your GES.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CadetProgramGuy

notaNCO forever

Hoorah

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2009, 05:29:58 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

How did we find anything? You don't even have your GES.
Past squadron history.

Gunner C

Buried in mud in a North Carolina salt water swamp after it fell off of a USCG aircraft.

ltcmark

Found one in top of barn that was in storage.

Under easy chair.

In middle of kitchen floor, it went off when wife kicked it.

In trash can.

Found 7 going off at same time in National Guard helo's.

Found one elt in box of 20 elt's in safe at National Guard base. (this happend numerious times)

In a lawyers office.

In a walk in safe.

In hallway of house.

jimmydeanno

1) ELT: In the back of a pickup truck after a few hours of wondering why the location kept changing.

2) EPIRB: In a huge stack of batteries at the local recycling facility.

3) EPIRB: USS Iwo Jima
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

ELT: In the back of an airplane. While it was still flying.

EPIRB: Packed and set parachute in a life support unit on a ANG Base.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Desert Dawg

In a creamatorium sitting on the morticians desk.
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Owner turned on and placed with antenna on incoming water pipe. Signal was everywhere on the island. ;D

CadetProgramGuy

I heard another story of one that fell off an EC-3 from Offutt.  Apparently it's signal was so strong, it was pinging though a lead lined vault, 50 feet below ground.

I also heard of sledge hammers being used on it (with permission)before AF picked it up....

Gunner C

Quote from: Gunner C on May 25, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
Buried in mud in a North Carolina salt water swamp after it fell off of a USCG aircraft.
BTW, we located it from the air and directed the GT to it.  The GT was in a state police boat.  One heck of a night.

Trung Si Ma

Trunk of an Alaska State Trooper Patrol car on the Parks Highway between Denali and Talkeetna.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Chief2009

In a Piper Cub that's wings were off and hadn't flown in a very long ime. The ELT's battery was going dead, so the signal strength was going in and out.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

BTCS1*

I heard about that find on the USS Iwo Jima, from a CAP SM with me while onboard the USS Iwo Jima, while talking about how it would be great if someone hit into one while we were there(=find/mission). Been waitin for one all fleet week, hoping NYCG finally gets a mission... ;-)
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

BrandonKea

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 25, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
I heard another story of one that fell off an EC-3 from Offutt.  Apparently it's signal was so strong, it was pinging though a lead lined vault, 50 feet below ground.

I also heard of sledge hammers being used on it (with permission)before AF picked it up....

Hadn't heard that one. I have heard of one that fell off an Offutt bird onto a local Cable truck.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 26, 2009, 12:14:27 AM
I heard about that find on the USS Iwo Jima, from a CAP SM with me while onboard the USS Iwo Jima, while talking about how it would be great if someone hit into one while we were there(=find/mission). Been waitin for one all fleet week, hoping NYCG finally gets a mission... ;-)

There have actually been a few of them for the USS Iwo Jima.  I know of one that was chase down the eastern seaboard by NYWG during fleet week a few years back.  The one I had wasn't that one, but occurred when it pulled into port at Norfolk Naval Station about a week later.  Still fun though!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Larry Mangum

1. US Navy Frigate tied up next to the USS Constitution (Open mic on 121.5).
2. US Navy Frigate in Glouscter MA.
3. Fort Lewis flightline, CO's chopper (5 times).
4. Cellular Tower
5. Jumbotron at a state fair.
6. Helicopter being towed down I-5 on a trailer.
7. Boat cruizing offshore, leading to a 3 state chase. (MA, NH, ME).
8. Too many EPIRB's to count in MA.
9. CG Falcon Jet at OTIS.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

swamprat86

Bathroom at Philly International airport
Battery recycling bin in a park in DE
C-130 at McGuire
Trunk of Coast Guard vehicle (that was a fun one to explain to the CG OD at 2 am.  It was his vehicle.

AlphaSigOU

Inside an about-to-be crushed aircraft at a salvage yard. Someone forgot to take out the ELT when the bulldozer set about crushing the hulk to recyclable pieces.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Cecil DP

UPS truck on I-95 running between Boston and Augusta Maine. I didn't find it, a good friend chased it for 50 miles, until the driver finally stopped.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 27, 2009, 03:23:36 AM
UPS truck on I-95 running between Boston and Augusta Maine. I didn't find it, a good friend chased it for 50 miles, until the driver finally stopped.

I remember that!
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Always Ready

I have zero good stories from my searches but WIWAC, I seem to recall Col Kuddes (NCR/CC) telling a few stories on my old squadron (Offutt). He said back in the day someone from Offutt found an ELT in an outhouse. He said the guy who owned the plane had been taking it apart or something and put the ELT in the outhouse so he wouldn't lose it.

He went on to tell a story of a SAREX quite a few years back. I guess someone decided to be a tad onry to a certain ground team and put the practice beacon on the back or the underside of their van. The ground team spent hours driving around looking for the practice beacon.

BTCS1*

Thats just cruel! I'm assuming it was the GT van.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Always Ready

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 27, 2009, 06:28:38 AM
Thats just cruel! I'm assuming it was the GT van.

Yeah it was. I edited my post for clarity. Sorry about that.

DC

Quote from: Always Ready on May 27, 2009, 06:14:55 AM
He went on to tell a story of a SAREX quite a few years back. I guess someone decided to be a tad onry to a certain ground team and put the practice beacon on the back or the underside of their van. The ground team spent hours driving around looking for the practice beacon.
That's classic! I'm going to have to try that one of these days...  >:D

Hoorah

Or stick it a moving semi truck. That be fun to chase down.

DC

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 28, 2009, 03:56:27 PM
Or stick it a moving semi truck. That be fun to chase down.
I can see a very irritated truck driver after having been chased down (assuming you find and recover your $300 practice beacon) by a bunch of people wearing camo looking for some tracking beacon attached to his truck...

There is ironic humor in a UDF team chasing their own proverbial tail. For several hours.

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 26, 2009, 10:26:24 PM
Inside an about-to-be crushed aircraft at a salvage yard. Someone forgot to take out the ELT when the bulldozer set about crushing the hulk to recyclable pieces.
I had the same happen at Robins AFB (Georgia) Museum of Aviation with a C-141 being cut up for scrap around 2004-5.  Plane had been on static display for about 15 years, but ELT still worked fine. 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

es_g0d

Some of the stories at the link below include "weird places."  Regardless, its good and informative reading.
http://www.cap-es.net/Features/SAR%20War%20Stories.htm

Next, in the vein of hiding the practice beacon on the GTs vehicle, here's an entire page devoted to similar ideas.  Please read the disclaimer FIRST.
http://www.cap-es.net/ES%20Electric%20Technology/Evil%20ELT%20Hiding.htm

Lastly, I just wanted to note that a Pointer 6000 practice beacon costs (at last order) $156 post paid.  Not nearly "$300."  I'm not saying to abuse the little transmitters, but they're tougher than you think and really aren't THAT much if they're destroyed.  The most fragile point on them is the switch; invariably someone won't be able to "pull AND flip" the switch at the same time, and will PRESS HARD, and the switch breaks.  Ugh.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Al Sayre

Scott, Who is selling them for $156 ?  I need to buy a couple.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DC

Quote from: es_g0d on May 29, 2009, 06:49:19 AM
Lastly, I just wanted to note that a Pointer 6000 practice beacon costs (at last order) $156 post paid.  Not nearly "$300."  I'm not saying to abuse the little transmitters, but they're tougher than you think and really aren't THAT much if they're destroyed.  The most fragile point on them is the switch; invariably someone won't be able to "pull AND flip" the switch at the same time, and will PRESS HARD, and the switch breaks.  Ugh.
The '$300' figure was based on this, $275 from Pointer, plus whatever shipping is.

es_g0d

Al (et al),
You can purchase direct from the manufacturer, Pointer. 
http://www.pointerinc.com

That way you cut out the middle-human.  They were very nice about it last time I bought one; they mailed it and billed me instead of charging a credit card and mailing much later like some companies do.  They've done an excellent job of supporting Civil Air Patrol with very little official credit -- or even fame, as we're proving with this thread!

Their prices may have gone up some; kindly let us all know what they are currently!  I wouldn't expect a big jump.

(update: I just called, the family-run company was closed but a nice lady who works in accounting answered the phone.  She wasn't sure, but thought the price was $160 now)
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

BillW

In the trunk of a car recently stolen from a pilot as the car was being moved around in chop shop being dismantled. The police loved that find.

Nolan Teel

It's a toss up between:  a UPS Truck in Minneapolis with a box of 10 ELTs that were all transmitting or the ELT we found in Florida that was in a gutted house when nothing but the wall frames up.

SJFedor

Quote from: BillW on June 08, 2009, 03:24:57 AM
In the trunk of a car recently stolen from a pilot as the car was being moved around in chop shop being dismantled. The police loved that find.

I'd call that a win.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

es_g0d

What about landing a GA-8 at night on a grass strip, and having a cop chaufeur you around (and show you his AR-15).  Isn't that a win, too, Steve?
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

SJFedor

Quote from: es_g0d on June 08, 2009, 07:59:21 AM
What about landing a GA-8 at night on a grass strip, and having a cop chaufeur you around (and show you his AR-15).  Isn't that a win, too, Steve?

Haha. It wasn't night when I landed. Maybe about 20 min before the beginning of civil twilight.

Ok, so, story time. I was up in INWG helping a good friend out with a Wing level aircrew school. Got up there friday to get prepped for the students the next day, which included a flight to Indianapolis to pick up the GA-8, which we were gonna use for scanner training en mass. On the way to Indy Metro, we get a request from approach to listen to 121.5, because several aircraft have been reporting audibles. We're probably 10 miles east of Indy Int'l, at 3000 and descending, so we pop squelch and hear it pretty decently. Mind you, we're still on an A5 SAR/DR training mission number, so we do a few quick wing nulls since the DF was inoperative, and mark our location, and continue on to Indy Metro. When we landed, my friend put a call into the Wing/CC, who in turn put a call into AFRCC to report it. Voila, 09M0494 was born, and we popped out in the GA-8 with a working DF to go ELT hunting.

So, we first go to our first heard position and reacquire the signal. It starts to lead us towards a small airport east of Indy, but then takes us past it, more towards the north, in the Mount Comfort airport area. As we get close to mount comfort, it turns us more eastward, with a continued increase in signal strength. We end up over the town of Greenfield, with a blaring signal. Pope Airfield is right there, which is a 2200ft lighted grass strip. From the air, the best we can determine is that it's either on, or very close to, the field, but don't spot any wreckage or any visible signs of distress, as this is a city environment. So, we elect to put the aircraft down and proceed with a ramp check.

We land, notify the IC and ask him to contact the airport manager and local law enforcement, just so they know we're there and we're looking for an ELT. We walked around all the hangars with an airband handheld, and can hear the signal, but not nearly as strong as we could in the air, leading us to believe that it's close, but not on, the field.

At that point, our IC tells us there's a certain NESA ground team guru (not gonna mention his name w/o permission, but he's the bomb) on the way to help us with a ground search, as everyone on the 3 person aircrew is at least UDF, 2 of us GTLs as well. While we're sitting on the bench near the main road that runs next to the airport, we start to hear sirens in the distance. Shortly thereafter, a dozen or so local and county police cars come screaming into the airport, along with 3-4 fire engines and a medic unit. At this point, it's something like 9pm.

So, we manage to get one of the officers stopped, to which one of us asked "someone said the word 'crash' to you, didn't they?" As it turns out, our IC notified the airport manager that we were looking for an ELT in the vicinity of the airport, and she took that to mean that there was a crashed aircraft, and called 911. We explain the situation to the officers and firefighters, to which they laughed a little and most just return to station. However one of the officers stayed with us and offered to help us proceed with our ground search. So, we went and drove around a little with the airband held out the window, listening for the signal to get stronger. We started to get close when the aforementioned GT guru arrived, so we broke off to meet up with him. Shared what we had found, and luckily he had some better DF equipment, so we continued to search.

Ended up finding the signal coming from an auto body shop in the town about 3/4 of a mile west of the airport, which also had lots of power lines all around it, which was doing wonders to carry the signal all over. Local PD was able to contact the owner and requested that he come out and silence the ELT. Owner has a Cessna at the local airport which he was doing an owner assisted annual on, and had pulled the ELT and put it in a box. That box later got kicked, setting off the signal. While waiting, we got to talk to two of the officers, one of which was a SWAT officer for the town, and showed us his rather amazing tactical rifle.

Owner finally showed, we turned the thing off, and began the journey home. But the story of that journey is for another night :)

So, yes Scott, I guess that would be a win.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Gunner C

capradiopro

In a fed ex truck, in the trailer of a crop duster who'd gone on vacation for a week, in an air rescue helicopter doing a transport, in 12 seperate parking spaces at Davis Monthan Air Base, just in the a10's.  In several aircraft brought into the AMARC facility at DM. and in a tripacer stuffed into the garage of a man who said he didn't know anything about aircraft, it must be his neighbors boat.  His kid asked us if the "parts plane" in the garage might be it!
Lt. Col. Bill Croghan

capradiopro

i forgot the best one of all.  In a CAP c182 being shown at an air show!
Lt. Col BIll Croghan, CAP

isuhawkeye

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 25, 2009, 06:37:27 PM

I dont think the air force ever picked it up.  I believe it is still in CID

I was on that mission. 

How about these

1.  In a UPS truck

2.  In a helicopter on a flat bed truck traveling down the highway

3.  In file cabinets

4.  In a residential garage in a home built under construction

Hill CAP

Quote from: capradiopro on June 19, 2009, 05:19:12 AM
i forgot the best one of all.  In a CAP c182 being shown at an air show!
Lt. Col BIll Croghan, CAP

BTDT. SFedor and Myself was at the Airshow in Smyrna TN and the Wing ES Director calls Fedor and tells him to turn the ELT in that 182 off.

It was already off kid had flipped the switch on the panel we noticed it and flipped it back to off it was on less then 10 seconds but it is a 406 beacon, AFRCC already picked it up and called NOC.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Duke Dillio

Someone old me that they found one transmitting from the emergency rubber raft located near the wing of a C-141 at Peterson AFB.  Apparently it was stowed and when the crew chief opened the hatch, the raft inflated.  I "heard" that it was on top of the wings but I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story.  I think Shane knows the whole thing but I'm not sure...

PHall

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 23, 2009, 04:04:09 AM
Someone old me that they found one transmitting from the emergency rubber raft located near the wing of a C-141 at Peterson AFB.  Apparently it was stowed and when the crew chief opened the hatch, the raft inflated.  I "heard" that it was on top of the wings but I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story.  I think Shane knows the whole thing but I'm not sure...

The life raft accessory kits did not contain an ELT. They had survival radios that had to be manually turned on.

The ELT on the C-141 was located in "the bullet" at the front of the horizontal stabilizer. The control switch (ARM/OFF/RESET) for the ELT was located on the Navigator's panel.

BigMojo

Navy Sea Cadet's Headquarters...Twice in two weeks. (The second time they asked us to disconnect the battery for them.)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

RiverAux

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 26, 2009, 10:26:24 PM
I wonder if the ELT could have survived the crushing?

tarheel gumby

In the trunk of the car of a deceased CAP Squadron commander. The Squadron in question had been deactivated in the late 1990's or some time before 2001, and all of the squadron's records and lots of other goodies were housed in the commander's house. When the car was sold the family found "CAP gear" in the trunk and called me to come get it. In the trunk of the car I found 2 L-tronics Elpers and 1 ELT. ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Hoorah

Quote from: tarheel gumby on July 18, 2009, 04:54:15 AM
In the trunk of the car of a deceased CAP Squadron commander. The Squadron in question had been deactivated in the late 1990's or some time before 2001, and all of the squadron's records and lots of other goodies were housed in the commander's house. When the car was sold the family found "CAP gear" in the trunk and called me to come get it. In the trunk of the car I found 2 L-tronics Elpers and 1 ELT. ;D
Wholy moly.

a2capt

In an aviation life raft repacking/certifying place.  They have more ELTs than most large GA airports in this place. ..and a couple L-Per's on the wall, too.

.. they were off that day, an ELT was going off. As well, the primary simplex frequency we used to use would turn on/off the exterior lighting of the building, and if you keyed up at the gate with the call box, it would open and you could drive right in.

On the same Navy ship, three times in two weeks. The 30 watt one in the stack was open mic'ed. Could "hear" it 30 miles away plain and clear from a high point.

In a pile of pilot gear in the corner of a garage that was right within what turned out to be a deputy sheriff taking out the third hispanic in about a month in a particular neighborhood and they already had heated tensions so the place was all secured for about a square mile. Turned out our ELT was right across the street from where they had a perimeter setup. Our first reaction when we realized that our signal appeared to be coming from within all the closed off streets/police activity, was perhaps.. someone set it off as they were involved in whatever it was that happened that we were not aware of yet. After clearing it with several cops from a neighboring department who called into the center of the mess, we were allowed to proceed.  Turned out, it was a pile of stuff because the guy's aircraft had gotten crashed into and he took all the "loose stuff" out of it and dumped it in the corner of the garage.

A DVD player while it was playing a disc only. We had fun when they, what we figured out later was, changed a movie - after having a steady signal for about 60 minutes it went away and came back when we were about to give up.  We had gone back to a high spot to listen again.

In a burned out Mooney that had basically wing tips, a tail and propeller remaining.  The ELT was all melted onto, the aircraft had been moved several times from the initial crash point (the freeway short of the airport that had closed due to an advancing wild fire near downtown San Diego, in Oct. 2003), onto said airport when the fire cleared, and then again by truck to a near by airport some 10 miles away, and twice within that airport, finally into a hangar to disassemble what was left. Only then did the ELT decide go off.

ishcable

8)located in one of the c-130 sent in to pick up equipment after pres. clinton's summer vacation on Martha's Vineyard.  some very embarrassed usaf pilots.

uscg district one boston commander's office

tracking elt around MV island for almost a day  was stolen and thrown in dumpster picked up by trash truck.  finally located it at the transfer station 

bosshawk

Buried under about three feet of garbage in a landfill above Half Moon Bay, Ca at 0200 in the morning.

On a UPS truck at Napa, Ca, after trailing the truck for four or five hours, starting in Holister, Ca.

A signal on 121.5 coming from a game machine at Chuck-E-Cheese in San Jose, Ca.  Name of the game: Search and Rescue.  It was fun going into the place after midnight, with a SJ cop and asking the cleaning crew is we could look around.

An ELT in the back seat of a dentist's car which disappeared around noon and reappeared after 1300.  Turned out that the dentist went home for lunch.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

LOL, Really? in the Search & Rescue game? Funny, I've repaired those and an ELT isn't standard  equipment. Someone surely had a twisted sense of humor.

...the gameplay is pretty far away from SAR as we know it, too :) More like Zombie blasting Wolf 3D style but with an overhead view, and find your 'victim'.

Viking flyer

How about not the weirdest, but the mostest? Noon on Thursday at Lakeland Lender (FL) airport during Sun-n-Fun. It was easy to figure out where they were after the tornado, just look for the upside down aircraft. Must have been 70 + going off. But local law enforcement chased CAP off the field. Couldn't blame them for all the debris and possible fuel spills present. And it didn't really take an L-Per to find most of them.

JC004

This topic is back?

Hmm...

I did one with an EPIRB on a Greek oil rig.  The Coast Guard didn't feel like coming up to board the vessel, so they told us to "go for it."

I did one on a Halloween (imagine, walking around in the evening on Halloween in BDUs - "Nice costume! Army guy?!" "No, this is real...").  We tracked the signal to a trailer sitting in a driveway.  We knocked on the door to find the owner (heavily intoxicated male) and his wife.  We told him what we were doing, they opened the trailer, and inside was an ultralight that he had just purchased.  On the aircraft was an EPIRB (yeah) attached with wire ties.  The red light was blinking.  He said that he had been calling the guy who sold it to him about the blinking light but hadn't received a call back.  He indicated that he had purchased the ultralight because he liked the lips design on the parachute.  He didn't know anything about aircraft.  He asked over and over if he was in trouble or receiving a bill from the government, especially after we told him that an aircraft was involved, looking for him.

Philadelphia Police Department helicopter.

A news helicopter (NBC).

A medevac helicopter (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania's PENNSTAR).

EPIRB on a boat that was moving on the back of a vehicle.

I've also DFed from some strange places including the roof of the Marriott at PHL and the ramparts of Fort Mifflin, the fort which defended Philadelphia from the British Navy in 1777, allowing time for the Continental Army to move safely towards Valley Forge, where they would remain for the British occupation of Philadelphia.  BTW, it's a very interesting place and very creepy at night (it has been on Ghost Hunters).  You can still, on the walls that remain, see the marks in the walls from the British siege. 

-----
More normal stuff:

• I had the typical EPIRB in a garage once.
  • I did an ELT on a Canadian private jet at Philadelphia International.
  • Several of your average aircraft on a ramp on in a hanger.
  • A mission on squadron HQ move day, after we'd be moving things all day, which turned out to be a Distress.
  • ELT at an airport.  The local squadron (Hazelton) chose not to respond due to a unit activity early the next morning (some kind of support for something like a race).  We had to drive over an hour from an airshow with a team of cadets from random units.  While we were waiting at the airport, the squadron members arrived and said "what are YOU doing here?" Uhhhh...nothing...just your job.

flyboy53