Specialty Track Training Records

Started by arajca, May 10, 2009, 06:09:12 PM

arajca

Since the introduction of the online SQTR's most of CAP has bought into the concept and are using them.

Does having a similar system for professional development (Specialty Track Training Record) make sense? I'm thinking of one STTR for each track (duh) and one for all the levels. Instead of "Prerequistes", Famliarization and Preparatory Training", "Advanced Training", and "Exercise Participation; use "Technician", "Senior", and "Master" with appropriate commander approvals at each level through the existing Professional Development function. (and add "Executive" for the OE track). With a built in tie to National's database, it would help empower members to track their PD and easily let the appropriate personnel know when they've completed the requirements for a rating.

PHall

This kinda strikes me as a "solution looking for a problem".
This info is already available on e-services.

RiverAux

I think he is talking about tracking the specific tasks that have to be completed as part of each PD track rather than just the completions (which are in eservices).

I don't see a big need for this since tasks that you do for one specialty track rarely (if ever) are applicable to other tasks, so there isn't as much benefit to tracking individual tasks.  With ES its different since the same task can be a requirement for multiple specialties.

For me, every time I have ever completed a level in mutliple tracks I tend to get the sigantures all at once rather than getting someone to sign off on one of the tasks when it is done.  I just bring in all the documentation at the same time and have the appropriate person sign off and then give it to the commander. 

Phil Hirons, Jr.

All of the requirements for the PD progression are not tracked in e-Services. (Conference attendance, external AE presentation...) Once this is covered I think computerized records for the individual tracks would be a great ides

RiverAux

I just think that in this area you're not going to get the biggest bang for the buck.  Why would we waste time tracking conference attendence for the majority of folks who aren't going to go far enough in the CAP PD program for it to be a factor? 

I think this is an area where keeping the stuff on paper until it is time to say that the achievement is completed is good enough. 

LtCol057

There used to be an Excel spreadsheet for the Sr Training Tracks on the Best Practices page on the NHQ website.  I didn't see it just now, but I think I have it on file somewhere. It was pretty good (IMHO).  Helped keep track of all the requirements.  Might be a little out of date now tho.

arajca

I am the author of that spreadsheet. I have to update the Chaplain and Character Development Officer tracks. I already added the OE track.

I have found that members have decided to progress more when they have a decent idea of what is needed. The pamplets are not the best example of clear, concise writing. When I was PDO, I had several members who didnt realize how close they were to completing ratings because they didn't have a good (or not so good) checklist. Once they saw how much they had acccomplished without trying, they were willing to do the extra to get their ratings.

Capt_Redfox30

I have that spreadsheet, and I have been using it for years.  I works well.  If someone can remind me of how to post files on her I would be happy to upload it. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

arajca

Quote from: phirons on May 10, 2009, 08:51:12 PM
All of the requirements for the PD progression are not tracked in e-Services. (Conference attendance, external AE presentation...) Once this is covered I think computerized records for the individual tracks would be a great ides
We weren't tracking B-CUT, A-CUT, First Aid, etc. in Eservices until we started using the SQTR's online. In fact, the only place those are tracked is on the SQTR's. STTR's could be the tool to track the various PD tasks like conference attendance, external AE presentation, ad nauseum.

EMT-83

Quote from: RiverAux on May 10, 2009, 09:20:30 PMWhy would we waste time tracking conference attendence for the majority of folks who aren't going to go far enough in the CAP PD program for it to be a factor?   

I just had one heck of a time proving that a member went to the conferences required for his Level 3. You can bet that I'm putting copies into their files from now on.

LtCol057

Arajca, I thought your name looked familiar.  Thanks for the spreadsheet. I'm in process of inputting the info for the members of my unit now. 

Trung Si Ma

As NHQ gets around to updating the rest of the specialty tracks, having something like the SQTRs would help those of us with 20+ year old master ratings get updated.  I also think it would help when considering SMs for advanced positions.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

davedove

I think this is a fine idea.  I will grant that there are other issues that should have priority, but I wonder why so many people discount it.  I'm all for putting things on-line so you don't have to keep so many file around the unit.  Of course, I will make the caveat that each member should keep a copy of all their actions themselves in case something happens to the electronic records.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Fifinella

I like the idea.  I have been tracking the squadron's specialty track accomplishments "old school", by printing out the checklists (when the tracks have them) and keeping record on them.  I have also been using the obsolete wall chart, which has never been updated with a new vis aid, so SMs can easily check their progress when they're in the sq.

One problem this new system might solve is the one I have right now.  I cannot get my master rating awarded for PD, and it seems to be that the computer doesn't recognize my time in track because they changed the name from Senior Programs to PD.  Then again, maybe that would still have happened...

Anyhow, as one sq. PDO, I would find this very helpful.  Thanks for the offer, and for your hard work.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Capt Rivera

While I do appreciate the work of arajca, I also believe national should implement a online system to do this. Considering we have a system in place that can handle this information already, it should not be to hard to implement a new database backend. (Change some headings and build the applicable relations. )

The root technology is already there, we should be able to leverage it for additional uses. (Hopefully this was not a proprietary system we paid for but can't do anything more with. Anyone know?)

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

arajca

Actually, I was looking for input before I wrote this up for submittal to National.

AlphaSigOU

Here's a tracking worksheet that can be placed in a member's personnel file; I know there have been some changes to PD since I created it; I haven't gotten around to doing so.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Capt_Redfox30

Attached is the Spreadsheet I found of the Best Practices site.  I have updated it to include the new June and November 2008 Safety Changes.  I have not updated it to include the new Organizational Excellence Track though. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Fifinella

Quote from: Fifinella on May 11, 2009, 12:05:24 PM
I cannot get my master rating awarded for PD, and it seems to be that the computer doesn't recognize my time in track because they changed the name from Senior Programs to PD.
Hmmm.  My master rating showed up on eServices after I mentioned this on CAPTalk.  Coincidence?  You decide. ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

BrandonKea

Quote from: arajca on May 11, 2009, 05:00:40 PM
Actually, I was looking for input before I wrote this up for submittal to National.

Do you have a current copy of your spreadsheet?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

arajca

With the new CAPP216, I have to update it again...