What's the Difference?

Started by cadetnelson, April 26, 2006, 01:48:27 AM

cadetnelson

I just joined CAP, and I'm about 17 and a half.  I read that CAP O-flights are not available for those 18 and over, but they can still participate in military O-flights.  So....why the distinction?  What's the difference other than whose running the show.  I heard in CAP o-flights you can take the controls once you're in the air.  Can you still do this on the military flights?  etc. etc.....
C/Amn Nelson

shorning

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 26, 2006, 01:48:27 AM
I just joined CAP, and I'm about 17 and a half.  I read that CAP O-flights are not available for those 18 and over, but they can still participate in military O-flights.  So....why the distinction?  What's the difference other than whose running the show.  I heard in CAP o-flights you can take the controls once you're in the air.  Can you still do this on the military flights?  etc. etc.....

O-flights are the ones in CAP planes.  Military O-flights are the ones in military aircraft (like a KC-135, or C-130). 

Eclipse

A military Orientation flight is defined as a ride which begins and ends in the same
place, with no stops.  You will basically be a passenger.   Anything else is considered a TRANSPORT.  Ask your state's LO which he prefers in terms of paperwork.   :D Generally these are pattern rides in a fueler while they are gassing up the jets.

A CAP Orientation flight will be one of five powered and five glider flights designed to introduce you to aeronautical concepts and the practices of a pilot.  It is part of a structured Aerospace curriculum and requires some book preparation before the flight to be executed properly.

I heard in CAP o-flights you can take the controls once you're in the air.  Can you still do this on the military flights?  etc. etc.....

During a CAP orientation flight, IAW the applicable regs, you will never "take the controls" - cadets are encouraged to handle controls, and operate them in some cases, but the regs forbid a cadet from ever actually flying the plane.  This however, occurs on a frequent basis because many O-Pilots are often CFI's and they can't resist breaking this rule.

"That Others May Zoom"

iowacap

well there is a solution if you want to fly in CAP aircraft if your over the age of 18. THat is a very easy solution join the AIRCREW! ;D

cadetnelson

all righty.  how do you join an aircrew?  are the aircrews a squadron level thing, wing thing, etc? do all cap groups have one?  I'm pretty sure we do b/c I saw a cadet and another leader both wearing the green flight suit, but I'm not certain.
C/Amn Nelson

shorning

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 26, 2006, 05:00:24 PM
all righty.  how do you join an aircrew?  are the aircrews a squadron level thing, wing thing, etc? do all cap groups have one?  I'm pretty sure we do b/c I saw a cadet and another leader both wearing the green flight suit, but I'm not certain.

Since you're new to CAP, I'd worry about the cadet program for now.  You've already got a lot ahead of you.  Worry about the other stuff after you've been a member for a while and have some experience under your belt.

iowacap

Well in our wing we hold like an aircrew school or what not and you will do the ground school for scanner then do two flights and complete a SQTR for it then you are qualified as scanner (backseat). Then after that you can goto aircrew school for Observer and get the ground school done then do your two flights and complete the SQTR then your qualified to ride front seat and do either scanner or observer duties. I am currently done with my scanner but I have been waiting to do my observer flights and I will tell you I think aircrew is the best and one you really have to study for to be your best at if you have anymore questions give me a shout!

cadetnelson

C/Amn Nelson

iowacap

Not a problem dont hesitate to send me private message with any other questions glad to help.