Obtaining Fuji Film Cannisters

Started by DC, March 29, 2009, 11:38:53 PM

DC

An offshoot of another thread that had Alka-Seltzer rockets mentioned.

Short of going out and buying a bunch of film, how does one obtain suitable cannisters for this project? All the photographers I know shoot purely digital now...

Pylon

Got to places that still develop film photographs: drug stores, camera shops, etc.  Most of them have bins of empty film containers that they will happily give you for free.  Make sure you get the kind that have the lid lip that wraps outside the container, not the kind where the lid slips on the inside of the container.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Lord

I found people selling them on E-bay in large quantities in the past. You might check it out.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DC

Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2009, 12:22:48 AM
Got to places that still develop film photographs: drug stores, camera shops, etc.  Most of them have bins of empty film containers that they will happily give you for free.  Make sure you get the kind that have the lid lip that wraps outside the container, not the kind where the lid slips on the inside of the container.
I heard it was the other way around, and the diagram on Page 13 of the Rocketry Textbook says it should go on the inside; are you sure?

Eclipse

Interesting - cheap digital photography means in 5 years these will likely be a vague memory for most.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: DC on March 30, 2009, 01:50:04 AM
Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2009, 12:22:48 AM
I heard it was the other way around, and the diagram on Page 13 of the Rocketry Textbook says it should go on the inside; are you sure?

Hah, you're right, I think I got it backwards.   The black canisters with grey cap (lip on the outside) are the typical "Kodak" containers.  The ones with the lid slipping inside the container are typically clear; Fugi is one of the brands using those.

In my past expeditions to pharmacies with photo departments to beg for photo canisters, the black Kodak-style ones seemed to be a lot more plentiful than the clear ones that we used in the AE activity.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Another good source is your local WalMart, if it has a photo lab. When I asked, they brought out a big box and told me to help myself to as many as I wanted.

RickFranz

I did the same at Wal-Mart and SAM's Clubs.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1