Main Menu

AF Blue Ties

Started by cadetnelson, April 17, 2006, 12:56:07 AM

cadetnelson

I've noticed something, at least in my squadron, that I wondered if there is any "regulation" base for.  It seems that only the cadet officers in my squadron wear the blue tie with their short sleeve "blues" uniform.  Is this coincidence or is there a regulation against airmen wearing the tie?  I can't find anything on it in 39-1.
C/Amn Nelson

MIKE

Mike Johnston

shorning

The only regulation in CAPM 39-1.

In my opinion, wearing  ties with short sleeved shirts looks a little silly.  I think people believes it makes them more dressy.  Personally, I think it kinda looks like they are living in the 60s.  Used in that manner, it's just another barrier between those in charge and those not.  It could just as easily be a hat, a shoulder cord, or an ascot.

cadetnelson

C/Amn Nelson

md132

Ties are optional for short sleeve blues but are mandatory for long sleeve or full service uniforms.  

Camas

Just watch that T-shirt if you wear an open-collar shortsleeved uniform.  No crew-neck.  I have to agree with Col Horning; the tie with the shortsleeved shirt doesn't cut it.  I go back to the days of the 505's and 1505's when the only time a tie was worn was when the 505 bushjacket was worn.

Major_Chuck

The only time I wore a tie with my s/s blue AF shirt was when I had to put on the service jacket.  Once the jacket came off so did the tie.

It does look silly.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Eclipse

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 17, 2006, 01:59:22 AM
The only time I wore a tie with my s/s blue AF shirt was when I had to put on the service jacket.  Once the jacket came off so did the tie.

It does look silly.

I don't know if that was authorized in the past, but today a long sleeve blouse is required with the service coat.

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2006, 03:18:16 AM

It does look silly.

I don't know if that was authorized in the past, but today a long sleeve blouse is required with the service coat.

Funny...that's not what the uniform manual says (see Table 2-1, Line 2).

SarDragon

Quote from: Camas on April 17, 2006, 01:41:07 AM
Just watch that T-shirt if you wear an open-collar shortsleeved uniform.  No crew-neck.  I have to agree with Col Horning; the tie with the shortsleeved shirt doesn't cut it.  I go back to the days of the 505's and 1505's when the only time a tie was worn was when the 505 bushjacket was worn.

Ah, the bush jacket. My ex-wife escaped with my last remaining example.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on April 17, 2006, 06:08:42 AM

You're just beggin' for a gibe here.... ;)

Major_Chuck

Quote from: shorning on April 17, 2006, 06:02:58 AM

It does look silly.

I'm going way way way back on that.  I haven't worn service jacket since mid 80's.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Eclipse

It does look silly.

Yep, that's right...short sleeve shirt with a sport coat...blech.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on April 17, 2006, 06:27:11 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 17, 2006, 06:08:42 AM

You're just beggin' for a gibe here.... ;)

So, jibe, or not. Yours, the choice is.

What can this olde major do to an upstart light colonel?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on April 17, 2006, 09:50:57 PM
So, jibe, or not. Yours, the choice is.

What can this olde major do to an upstart light colonel?

Nah...I'll just go stow my gear adrift.

NIN

QuoteI don't know if that was authorized in the past, but today a long sleeve blouse is required with the service coat.

I was digging for exactly that when I read this reply.

The long sleeve shirt is not required with service dress. For appearance's sake it looks better, but its not required
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

Don't wear the short sleeve shirt!  The business world is moving away from short-sleeve shirts, they just don't look professional anymore, they are more casual than anything else.
What's up monkeys?

Nathan

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2006, 01:26:20 PM
Don't wear the <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=34&k=short%20sleeve%20shirt" onmouseover="window.status='short sleeve shirt'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">short sleeve shirt</a>!  The business world is moving away from <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=34&k=short%20sleeve%20shirts" onmouseover="window.status='short-sleeve shirts'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">short-sleeve shirts</a>, they just don't look professional anymore, they are more casual than anything else.

Why?

If you wear it in blues, then chances are you are somewhat casual. The blue uniform IS the somewhat casual uniform. BDU's are a work uniform, so really, the short sleeve Blues is as close as we get to civies.

If it's going to be under a jacket, no one's going to see it anyway. I always wear a short sleeve shirt under my jacket; I don't get toasted as quickly.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Pylon

Quote from: Nathan on April 19, 2006, 05:53:38 PM
If it's going to be under a jacket, no one's going to see it anyway. I always wear a short sleeve shirt under my jacket; I don't get toasted as quickly.

I'd have to disagree with this.  If you're going to wear a jacket, you should be wearing the long-sleeve shirt.  Why?  Because it looks really, really tacky to not have a flash of the shirts cuff extending beyond the cuff of the jacket.  In fact, it's a mark of a well-fitting suit and shirt to have about half an inch or so of the shirt's cuff showing.

Not to mention, if you're wearing the AF cuff links with the long-sleeve shirt, like I do, you look even that much sharper with them just barely showing while wearing the Service Dress Uniform.  You want to look sharp in this uniform -- not look like you take the easiest route to getting dressed in the morning.  If you don't need to look that sharp, then don't wear the service dress at all.  Makes no sense to me to do otherwise.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

The LS Shirt keeps the sweat out of the jacket sleeves, too. The jacket lasts a lot longer that way. Sweat will kill the lining quickly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret