Main Menu

Renewal Grace Period

Started by Senior, March 02, 2009, 02:21:38 AM

Senior

Does National have a grace period ( a couple days past the actual renewal date) for membership renewal?  I have cadets getting close to renewal
but may not have the money because of parent's job is in limbo.

IceNine

They will expire, but when they renew their information will come right back on e-services.  There is no penalty for late renewal.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Officially, there is no grace period. But, they don't drop you from the MML for 90 days.
So, if you get the renewal in within that 90 days you should be good to go.

NOTE: They are not "officially" a member during the grace period. So no O-flights, Encampments and stuff like that until they renew.

Pylon

I've had people send in their money and reappear in E-Services more than 6 months after they expired.  I think the renewal window is pretty much wide open.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

When my wife considered renewing her membership after letting it expire 22 months before, I called NHQ to see what the procedures were for a [recent] former member to re-join.  The lady in membership told me that she would maintain her status the same as when she left 22 months prior up to 24 months, but would have to pay for her 2 year hiatus.  She would also have to submit fingerprints again.  After 24 months, she said it was like starting over [as far as rank].  However, things like SLS and CLC would be maintained and recognized as accomplished.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

That certainly makes sense with things like ACUT's being valid for membership +2 and other fairly remedial things being the same.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ßτε

From CAPR39-2

Quote4-2. Renewal Period. The membership renewal period is 60 days prior and 90 days following the membership expiration date. Additionally, upon acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters, senior members may late renew at any time within 2 years of the membership expiration date by paying retroactive dues. The renewal period following the membership expiration date is an administrative convenience only. This is not a "grace" period. An individual is not a CAP member and is not authorized to participate in CAP activities after the membership expiration date until renewal dues are accepted by National Headquarters for another membership year.

a. Cadets not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the option of rejoining (through their unit of assignment providing they still meet the initial membership eligibility criteria), or late renewing. Late renewals will be accepted up to 180 days from the expiration date and are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and payment of retroactive membership dues.

To summarize:

Any member can renew up to 90 days late. Until they renew, they are not members.

Senior members have up to two years to renew, paying all back dues, subject to unit and higher headquarter approval if past the original 90 days. They would also have to submit a new fingerprint card. The result would be as if there were no break in service.

Cadets have up to 180 days to renew, paying all back dues, subject to unit and higher headquarter approval if past the original 90 days.

If after these deadlines the former member is still eligible for membership, the former member would have to reapply. Cadets will be credited with all acheivements completed before membership expiration. Senior members would start without grade, complete Level I again, and may be re-instated to previous grade, but would loose all TIG credit.

MIKE

I don't get why you have to pay back dues... If you were not "a member" on the first of the month following your expiration month, then you should not need to pay up for years spent as a non-member.  Renewal versus re-join semantics?
Mike Johnston

IceNine

DMV charges for back license plate fees

ARRL charged me back dues 9 months later, and had to turn around a pay again 3 months later.

It sucks but we are certainly not the only organization following this standard.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cecil DP

Quote from: MIKE on March 02, 2009, 05:21:00 AM
I don't get why you have to pay back dues... If you were not "a member" on the first of the month following your expiration month, then you should not need to pay up for years spent as a non-member.  Renewal versus re-join semantics?

You don't have to pay back dues. It's an option. The benefit is that if you do, you do not have to go through the process of being coming back as a SMOG and asking to be reinstated in your former grade, with a subsequent loss of seniority. Big deal if you have a Wilson Award, 20 years of membership, and no grade in the period you're waiting to be reinstated with stops at Group, Wing, Region, and National HQ.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

tarheel gumby

When I rejoined after an 18 year absence all I got credit for was SLS & CLC I had to re do ECI 13 >:( But that was only because I still had the original certs to hand over to Squadron Admin.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on March 02, 2009, 05:40:54 AM
DMV charges for back license plate fees

ARRL charged me back dues 9 months later, and had to turn around a pay again 3 months later.

It sucks but we are certainly not the only organization following this standard.

Ditto for the AMA.

As with a lot of other things in this man's CAP, most likely some people were gaming the system and taking a few years
off without paying, then coming back to full restoration with no penalty - if they are empty shirts anyway, who cares, right?. 

If no one did before, there are members who pinch dents into pennies, that might try that given the opportunity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

Bottom line is that the membership year goes from the date you joined until the last of the same  month of the year of expiration (Seniors can renew for up to 3 years). If your membership expires in March, than on April 1st You're an ex-member. Non-members cannot participate in CAP activities IE, flying, encampments, cadet activities, missions, or meetings,  etc. You get a reminder to renew about 75 days prior to expiration, and generally a follow up at the 30 day mark. Your Squadron CC or the Personnel Officer should also be reminding members as they come up for renewal. No excuse for not renewing if you intend to keep your membership.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

caplegalnc

The Cadet'S non-renewal because of a parent's economic situation is troubling to me.   If there is a cadet in NC in this situation I hope that someone would reach out to help the cadet (hint, hint).  As one who has been helped by others, I am willing to return grace.

Chief Justice
NC-019

LtCol057

One thing, if a senior member has a break over 2 years, they have to retake Level 1, to include the CPPT.

And if a cadet is 18 and goes past the 180 days to renew, they can't rejoin as a cadet. They have to rejoin as a senior member.