Cadets and military service

Started by Senior, February 28, 2009, 08:56:11 PM

Senior

If a cadet is 17 years old and is going to sign a delayed entry contract with
the Army, is that cadet still able to be a cadet?  The cadet won't go to basic
until next year after high school graduation.

Stonewall

Yes.  I did.

In fact, my cadet membership continued until I notified CAP that I was active duty, a year after I had been in.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

They don't have to turn senior until they ship.

RogueLeader

And that only counts if they go AD. NG or reserves, it doesn't matter until they deploy; unless they their cadet time runs out. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Stonewall on February 28, 2009, 08:57:55 PM
Yes.  I did.

In fact, my cadet membership continued until I notified CAP that I was active duty, a year after I had been in.

You cannot be a CAP member if your an active duty soldier? How does that work?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

dhon27

You can't be a cadet member and be on active duty.  In other words, you would have to transition to a senior member.

MIKE

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on February 28, 2009, 09:21:21 PMYou cannot be a CAP member if your an active duty soldier? How does that work?

Member yes, cadet no.
Mike Johnston

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: MIKE on February 28, 2009, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on February 28, 2009, 09:21:21 PMYou cannot be a CAP member if your an active duty soldier? How does that work?

Member yes, cadet no.

Baically if you re 17, graduated, and heading off to bootcamp you have to quit CAP for a whole year until you are 18 to become a senior member?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

hatentx

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on February 28, 2009, 09:30:43 PM

Member yes, cadet no.

Baically if you re 17, graduated, and heading off to bootcamp you have to quit CAP for a whole year until you are 18 to become a senior member?

Hmmm nice loop hole there right???

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: hatentx on February 28, 2009, 09:40:14 PM

Member yes, cadet no.

Well I will be 18 before I leave! ;D
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

SarDragon

Well, National has no effective means of monitoring cadets who might be on AD. I was in the same position as Stonewall when I joined the Navy in 1969. The squadron folks knew I was on AD, but I didn't convert to SM until I turned 21, 10 months after I went to boot camp. no harm, no foul.

As for the 17yo on AD thing, that's one of the couple of exceptions where you turn SM at 17. See CAPR 39-2, para 3-2.b.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Quote from: hatentx on February 28, 2009, 09:40:14 PM

Member yes, cadet no.

Yeah, but realistically, you may be 17, but probably VERY close to turning 18 by the time you finish Boot Camp and your Tech School. 

winterg

I was on delayed entry a year before I shipped as well and remained a cadet. Got my Mitchell just in time to ship.  I wish I had discovered CAP earlier.  I never even knew it existed until the summer between my Sophmore and Junior year.  I coulda gone Spaatz.  :-\

es_g0d

The key to remaining a cadet is the word EXTENDED.  A cadet may not be on EXTENDED Active Duty (EAD).  What exactly does that mean?  I don't honestly know.  But I will tell you that I was a Reservist Airman First Class and a cadet at the same time--legal and legit.  I was fortunate enough to finish the cadet program prior to leaving for another military program.  :D
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DC

Quote from: es_g0d on March 01, 2009, 07:40:41 AM
The key to remaining a cadet is the word EXTENDED.  A cadet may not be on EXTENDED Active Duty (EAD).  What exactly does that mean?  I don't honestly know.  But I will tell you that I was a Reservist Airman First Class and a cadet at the same time--legal and legit.  I was fortunate enough to finish the cadet program prior to leaving for another military program.  :D
I believe it refers to time spent on AD beyond training and the typical one weekend/two weeks deal. So, if you get deployed or activated for another reason that's it. But, like people have said, CAP doesn't know until you tell them.

There was a cadet in my squadron that enlisted in the Army and deployed to Afghanistan, and was still listed as a cadet when she got back. Nobody had thought to do the paperwork to transition her over to Senior....

Cecil DP

Extended active duty means anything beyong Boot Camp, specialty training, or the annual training periods normally occured in the Reserves or National Guard. If the unit (or the individual) is called up for Federal active duty they must turn senior.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Flying Pig

......OK, I dredged up this old topic.

SO, I have a cadet who is 18, graduating High School, and enlisting in the air guard AND going to the local university for AFROTC.  Aside from him being really busy, can he still remain a cadet in CAP? 

I told him that he can, unless he gets activated for Active Duty beyond initial training, but that he will most likely see his priorities in life going away from CAP cadet life very soon, but that it was totally up to him. 

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 04, 2009, 10:32:07 PM
......OK, I dredged up this old topic.

SO, I have a cadet who is 18, graduating High School, and enlisting in the air guard AND going to the local university for AFROTC.  Aside from him being really busy, can he still remain a cadet in CAP? 

I told him that he can, unless he gets activated for Active Duty beyond initial training, but that he will most likely see his priorities in life going away from CAP cadet life very soon, but that it was totally up to him.

I believe that is correct; I have a cadet from my squadron who is in the army ROTC in D.C. He is still active through the summer and just takes a LOA when he is at school.

Ford73Diesel

I know a cadet who is a reservist and deployed, and he will remain a cadet until he is 21. NHQ has no way of knowing.

I'm leaving for USCG recruit training in less than two weeks, going into the reserves. I will turn 21 at A-school so I won't have to worry about it for too long.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on June 04, 2009, 11:17:42 PM
I know a cadet who is a reservist and deployed, and he will remain a cadet until he is 21. NHQ has no way of knowing.

I don't know the whole situation - but isn't that what happend with the C/Col (who's picture has floated around the CAP interweb) w/ the jump wings and CIB?